i'm having severe issues...."unfortunately, internet has stopped"

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
for the most part the phone appears to work good. however, when i use the stock browser or chrome, i get random lockup with the following message. "unfortunately, internet has stopped"

this used to happen at random. and i would have to go to task manager and shutdown all programs and clear the ram, otherwise this message would pop up again real quick....like multiple times in a row.
so i did a master reset several times which did not help. i even had my sd card out of the phone to see if that was the issue, and nope. sprint store did a couple tweaks, but it still locked up and gave me that message. so then sprint connected the phone to their computer and did a performance test. one category failed and the tech said he never seen that before. so they ordered me a new replacement. well, first day with the new phone the error message popped up. and then every once in a while.

well, today things got really worse. the phone locked up and then spit out that same error message "unfortunately, internet has stopped". and i tried clearing. the message would go away and the phone would lock up if i pressed anything else on the screen. even just opening task manager, by holding the home button. however during this latest episode of the error messages, i had a notification on my drag down notification bar, and it said something about some offer from sprint zone for some item.....eureka?? i think that was the name. i cleared that and the phone ran smooth after that, for now. could there be something from sprintzone causing this? also, my bookmarks widget doesnt show my bookmarks anymore. its just blank.
any ideas??? i'm getting a little fed up.:'(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
for the most part the phone appears to work good. however, when i use the stock browser or chrome, i get random lockup with the following message. "unfortunately, internet has stopped"

this used to happen at random. and i would have to go to task manager and shutdown all programs and clear the ram, otherwise this message would pop up again real quick....like multiple times in a row.
so i did a master reset several times which did not help. i even had my sd card out of the phone to see if that was the issue, and nope. sprint store did a couple tweaks, but it still locked up and gave me that message. so then sprint connected the phone to their computer and did a performance test. one category failed and the tech said he never seen that before. so they ordered me a new replacement. well, first day with the new phone the error message popped up. and then every once in a while.

well, today things got really worse. the phone locked up and then spit out that same error message "unfortunately, internet has stopped". and i tried clearing. the message would go away and the phone would lock up if i pressed anything else on the screen. even just opening task manager, by holding the home button. however during this latest episode of the error messages, i had a notification on my drag down notification bar, and it said something about some offer from sprint zone for some item.....eureka?? i think that was the name. i cleared that and the phone ran smooth after that, for now. could there be something from sprintzone causing this? also, my bookmarks widget doesnt show my bookmarks anymore. its just blank.

Welcome to the forums.
Carrier bloat.....why can't it just stop?
To answer your question, I would try clearing cache in recovery. I haven't tried this on a Note 3, but it should work. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
Follow instructions for the S3, and you should see the Recovery menu.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Carrier bloat.....why can't it just stop?
To answer your question, I would try clearing cache in recovery. I haven't tried this on a Note 3, but it should work. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
Follow instructions for the S3, and you should see the Recovery menu.

i could try that, but i'm on my second brand new phone. something or some program would be my guess as to the cause. clearing the cache seems like a temp fix, until whatever is causing the issue reappears.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i could try that, but i'm on my second brand new phone. something or some program would be my guess as to the cause. clearing the cache seems like a temp fix, until whatever is causing the issue reappears.

Depends.
If you have had a system update to the device already, there can be cached data that is causing conflicts.
Clearing cached data does not wipe anything personal, settings, etc.
A good counter question is, what would you rather do; nothing and definitely have those messages keep coming, or give it a try and possibly solve the issue?

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Depends.
If you have had a system update to the device already, there can be cached data that is causing conflicts.
Clearing cached data does not wipe anything personal, settings, etc.
A good counter question is, what would you rather do; nothing and definitely have those messages keep coming, or give it a try and possibly solve the issue?
ah, ok. i thought i would have to set up my phone again. i'll give it a shot.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
ah, ok. i thought i would have to set up my phone again. i'll give it a shot.

That is something to do say once every month or two, and definitely after getting a system update, like from Android version 4.3 to 4.4.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ok, i did that wipe cache.
i then went to reinstall the bookmark widget on one of the main screens, and the phone locked up while positioning it, and then i got the same message "unfortunaltely internet has stopped working"
:'(

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
ok, i did that wipe cache.
i then went to reinstall the bookmark widget on one of the main screens, and the phone locked up while positioning it, and then i got the same message "unfortunaltely internet has stopped working"
:'(

At the moment, I don't know what else to suggest.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
so now, everytime i drag to add the bookmarks widget to one of the pages, the phone locks up and gives the same error. this happens everytime i try to add it. and even after clearing the error, the bookmarks widget doesnt show my bookmarks, and is blank. i showed the guys at a sprint store, and they are going to send me my 3rd new note. lol

snc0921

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

You got to the end of the internet first. Congrats. ;-) Sorry I could not be of any real help.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
i'm on my third note 3 with the same issue. i'm wondering if i have a bad app or something. though i dont have many apps to begin with.
with this latest phone, the gmail app crashed too, along with the "unfortunately internet has stopped working" message.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i'm on my third note 3 with the same issue. i'm wondering if i have a bad app or something. though i dont have many apps to begin with.
with this latest phone, the gmail app crashed too, along with the "unfortunately internet has stopped working" message.

Do you restore your settings when you setup the replacement phone or do a factory reset? If you do than this may be why the issue persists. As you perform a factory reset deselect that option and also make sure it's not checked when you're setting the device up.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you restore your settings when you setup the replacement phone or do a factory reset? If you do than this may be why the issue persists. As you perform a factory reset deselect that option and also make sure it's not checked when you're setting the device up.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

all i did was sign in to new phone with gmail, insert my sd card, and the only other thing i did was to use mybackuppro to copy my text messages over, when the phone would lock up, i tried the factory reset too.

mcpurc

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
After a recent update I started getting the " Unfortunately, internet has stopped." message after attempting to browse using the phone web server connect to my home network. Anyone else having this issue with any luck Verizon fixing?

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ok, so after being on my 3rd phone with the same issue, i decided to install an antivirus program, AVG antivirus from playstore. this has seemed to fix the problem for now. weird. i wouldnt figure a virus would cause such issues, and why was this never a problem on my note 2, since i visit the same websites? damn you xhamster, lol.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
ok, so after being on my 3rd phone with the same issue, i decided to install an antivirus program, AVG antivirus from playstore. this has seemed to fix the problem for now. weird. i wouldnt figure a virus would cause such issues, and why was this never a problem on my note 2, since i visit the same websites? damn you xhamster, lol.

A third phone with the same issue and an Anti-Virus solved it? Unless you have something malicious on an SD Card than the Anti-Virus shouldn't do a thing.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
A third phone with the same issue and an Anti-Virus solved it? Unless you have something malicious on an SD Card than the Anti-Virus shouldn't do a thing.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

ok, it seemed to be a temporary fix. this issue even happened before i even put an sd card in the previous new phone.
i can almost guarantee its a bug or virus. it seems to always start when i use the browser. is it possible a certain website is putting some junk on my phone?

Kak Ndmorekak

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Greetings,
I am having the same issue re the internet stopping when I try to do anything in my browser.
Using 4.4.2.... Cant say or remember the issue starting after doing something. Just seem to happen a few days ago out of the blue.
Unfortunately, ordered an unlocked LTE unit from Hong Kong and therefore cant take it back.....

Last edited: