Just wondering about killing certain apps with the extended press of the home button. Here are my thoughts:

Using the Mail app, where I have 4 mail accounts (3 using Active Sync and Gmail), I find that if I kill the app after each use, it takes a second or two to open each time I access it. If I leave the app open and just return to the home screen, I can see by using the active apps application that it takes no CPU ticks, only RAM, but when I navigate to the mail app, if it's already open, there's no delay. That makes me wonder what's harder on battery, opening and loading it each time, or leaving it running in RAM. Fact is that that mail app is always running in any case, since open or closed, it will still get mail. So, I wonder if there's any impact at all on battery with the application loaded and open, vs loaded and closed?

I'm new to Android, a fast learner and quite apt, but was a BB user for 14 years and on a BB, leaving an app open (with the exception of native apps that could not be closed) would eat battery bad.

There are a few apps I would like to leave open, if there's no impact on battery. So, if an app resides in RAM, but takes no CPU clicks...is there any impact on battery? I have read that Android actually works more efficiently with apps residing in RAM.

Thoughts?
    11-29-2013 08:42 PM
    I kill all my apps. I keep the widget on my home screen to see how many apps are open and I kill them all. My email doesn't always work even when I kill apps because all my emails are set on manual,, no pushing,, no searching no alerts,, nothing. If I want to see if I have mail I do what I do with real mail,, I go the mail box.. It only refreshes if and when I open the app. If the app is already open I have to hit refresh. I would lose me mind if my emails were coming through every other min lol, plus it's a waste of battery.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    11-29-2013 09:31 PM
    Just wondering about killing certain apps with the extended press of the home button. Here are my thoughts:

Using the Mail app, where I have 4 mail accounts (3 using Active Sync and Gmail), I find that if I kill the app after each use, it takes a second or two to open each time I access it. If I leave the app open and just return to the home screen, I can see by using the active apps application that it takes no CPU ticks, only RAM, but when I navigate to the mail app, if it's already open, there's no delay. That makes me wonder what's harder on battery, opening and loading it each time, or leaving it running in RAM. Fact is that that mail app is always running in any case, since open or closed, it will still get mail. So, I wonder if there's any impact at all on battery with the application loaded and open, vs loaded and closed?

I'm new to Android, a fast learner and quite apt, but was a BB user for 14 years and on a BB, leaving an app open (with the exception of native apps that could not be closed) would eat battery bad.

There are a few apps I would like to leave open, if there's no impact on battery. So, if an app resides in RAM, but takes no CPU clicks...is there any impact on battery? I have read that Android actually works more efficiently with apps residing in RAM.

Thoughts?
    Android is actually built to have your RAM full. Unlike Windows, having the RAM closer to full is best. The coined saying is 'Empty RAM is wasted RAM'. However, my own belief takes this a step further. Disable any apps you don't use. That allows you to utilize that RAM for apps that you need. So to extend the unused RAM saying might also include 'Misspent RAM is also wasted RAM'.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    11-29-2013 10:41 PM
    So, empty RAM or full RAM with no CPU clicks...any effect on battery either way from what you have experienced?
    11-30-2013 02:42 AM
    So, empty RAM or full RAM with no CPU clicks...any effect on battery either way from what you have experienced?
    Empty RAM actually prompts a few CPU cycles. That would lower battery life.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    11-30-2013 08:32 AM
    Yep as others have said it is better for more ram to be used. As long as the apps in question aren't prevenenting your phone from going into deep sleep then you should be fine. Keep an eye on your battery stats to make sure that is the case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    11-30-2013 09:40 AM
    I assume "deep sleep" means basically no processor activity during screen-off? So, if the apps showing as loaded and running have no CPU clicks, I should be ok, correct? Some apps - like Chrome beta, don't run at 0% CPU when they're loaded in RAM but not in use at the time. When I see an app behaving that way, I kill that app. I try to keep only apps that show 0% CPU in RAM. This is now like 14 hours later and I have 2-4 apps in RAM, and battery seems about the same as when there was nothing in RAM. I'm liking this more and more!
    11-30-2013 10:16 AM
    Just enjoy your phone and don't worry about closing apps like you would with BB! Every once in a while I will close all apps and clear memory through the task manager, but it really isn't necessary. This beast has 3GB OF RAM!!! That is a far cry from the BBs of old. I would just leave it open and if you notice bad battery life, then you can try to kill the app every time and see if that makes a difference. Overall, this phone gets AMAZING battery life.
    11-30-2013 10:23 AM
    You have a Z06? I just reconfigured my engine and added a huge blower to my 08 Z. I would agree, battery life is great!
    11-30-2013 12:14 PM
    You have a Z06? I just reconfigured my engine and added a huge blower to my 08 Z. I would agree, battery life is great!
    Awesome! Actually, I used to have a bunch of Corvettes, but currently do not own one. Maybe later on in the future I join the Vette club again!!
    11-30-2013 01:28 PM
    Best bang for the buck out there today...and a truly great car to boot! I'm waiting for the C7's in a Z and a ZR1...want to add one of those to the stable!
    11-30-2013 01:41 PM