ARE YOU KIDDING ME...? iMessage

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
ive switched between apple and android about 15x this year i dont see what the problem is about, i have never not received and messages and i to have used imessage with sms turned on when imessage was not availible maybe thats where the op went wrong?

in fact i just used a 5s last week and im getting text messages normally even from iphone users as i type this now.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
ive switched between apple and android about 15x this year i dont see what the problem is about, i have never not received and messages and i to have used imessage with sms turned on when imessage was not availible maybe thats where the op went wrong?

in fact i just used a 5s last week and im getting text messages normally even from iphone users as i type this now.

Do you mean you receive texts on Android with the same phone number your iPhone is on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Why do you have to turn it off? Because it's on by default. I don't know if that's "forcing," but I'd say it's close enough.

Why do you have to turn off the Phone Number sharing in your Google Account when you verify your phone number in Hangouts? Because it's on by default, you can't even remove it short of deleting the account (period). I don't know if that's "forcing," but that's pretty close enough. Yes, these things should ALWAYS be OPT-IN, however companies won't do it (especially companies like Google) when their business model depends on them violating your privacy and sharing your information when you don't intend to...

Also, you're being hypocritical and contradictory because you're trying to damn behavior you defended in another thread where we were discussing this exact thing IRT Hangouts. It's all bad until Google does it?

iMessage on iPhone is functionally identical to Hangouts on Android 4.4+ device, especially Nexus which come with Hangouts as both the SMS and IM application. Once you authenticate that number, the sharing is turned on in your Google Account by default and you have to dig through settings to make it un-searchable, however Google will not remove the number from your account and there is no way to remove it yourself. You have to delete the account to get it off of there, completely, or just toggle it off and grow content with them hoarding your information (past and present).

At least Apple actually allows you to get the number off, completely.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Are you using something like Google Voice?

i only use google voice as my voice mail service , basically have calls fwd to gv for that purpose only but i use my real service provider number not a GV number.

when im on ios i will send blue messages to other iphones and when im back on android i receive them normally

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
i only use google voice as my voice mail service , basically have calls fwd to gv for that purpose only but i use my real service provider number not a GV number.

when im on ios i will send blue messages to other iphones and when im back on android i receive them normally

Ohh, I see. So they're sort of funneled through GV for the Android phone I guess. Very interesting stuff. :)

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ohh, I see. So they're sort of funneled through GV for the Android phone I guess. Very interesting stuff. :)

i dont think there are really funneled through GV as mms, sms still comes thru like it normally does no matter what phone i am using ........could it be possibly carrier related?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Why do you have to turn off the Phone Number sharing in your Google Account when you verify your phone number in Hangouts? Because it's on by default, you can't even remove it short of deleting the account (period). I don't know if that's "forcing," but that's pretty close enough.
Apples and oranges. Google doesn't automatically verify your phone number without specific consent. Google's system IS opt-in. iMessage doesn't start up when you sign into your Apple cloud account and ask if you want to integrate your number. Even more importantly, Google doesn't automatically turn on Hangouts messaging with everyone else with an Android phone or with the Hangouts app. You can have your number associated with your Google account/Hangouts, and still be communicating via simple SMS with anyone regardless of whether they also have their number associated with the Hangouts app. Apple forces you to use iMessage should both you and the other user have it enabled.

Also, you're being hypocritical and contradictory because you're trying to damn behavior you defended in another thread where we were discussing this exact thing IRT Hangouts. It's all bad until Google does it?
As I just explained, the two are nowhere near similar. Google's system is opt-in, Apple's is opt-out. I should also point out that Android allows you to disable the Hangouts app, period. Apple provides no such functionality to disable the default messaging app on its phones. That you insist on on a false equivalency doesn't make that a valid argument.

iMessage on iPhone is functionally identical to Hangouts on Android 4.4+ device, especially Nexus which come with Hangouts as both the SMS and IM application.
No it isn't. If you and I both have Nexus phones with Hangouts apps, and we have both verified our phone numbers with Google, Google STILL won't force you to use Hangouts data messaging for SMS. You and I can still use SMS perfectly normally. Heck, we can even use SMS apps different from Hangouts. On the other hand, if you and I both have iMessage enabled and our Apple accounts associated, you and I simply will not be able to exchange carrier SMS - we will ONLY be able to exchange iMessages. And Apple certainly won't allow you to switch your SMS app to something else.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You cannot verify your number without turning that on. It's opt out.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
i dont think there are really funneled through GV as mms, sms still comes thru like it normally does no matter what phone i am using ........could it be possibly carrier related?

I don't know, this is all very new to me. I know a lot of people complain about the text problem when switching to Android, so it's very interesting you can get them through either phone.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, this is all very new to me. I know a lot of people complain about the text problem when switching to Android, so it's very interesting you can get them through either phone.

yea totally weird i will be switching to ios later this week and i do not anticipate any problems regarding text messages as i have not encountered any in the past

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You cannot verify your number without turning that on. It's opt out.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4
The actual use of the number for caller ID is opt out, yes. That feature on the caller ID side for individuals is also not yet turned on.

But, it asks whether you want to verify the number in the first place. That's opt in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The actual use of the number for caller ID is opt out, yes. That feature on the caller ID side for individuals is also not yet turned on.

But, it asks whether you want to verify the number in the first place. That's opt in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I somehow must of missed this....but what is this caller ID thing you speak of?

MArk50789

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have tried everything. I still today don't get texts in group from my boss. I've called apple I've deleted my contact and re entered it into his iphone. I have done the change password stuff to. I even put the iPhone of mine on a totally different line.

If I can't get it to work I will have to go back to Apple. My boss will not shut I message off and says there's nothing wrong with his phone....
Anyone out here have any more ideas??

Posted via Android Central App

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have tried everything. I still today don't get texts in group from my boss. I've called apple I've deleted my contact and re entered it into his iphone. I have done the change password stuff to. I even put the iPhone of mine on a totally different line.

If I can't get it to work I will have to go back to Apple. My boss will not shut I message off and says there's nothing wrong with his phone....
Anyone out here have any more ideas??

Posted via Android Central App

Your boss does not need to turn off imessage but check send as sms when imessage is not available

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12