Camera and check deposits problem...

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I got a question. I use Insight Financial with the provided app to deposit checks using the camera. It works flawlessly If I use my daughters hTc One, my brothers Moto X, my old OG EVO (on wifi), and my old Photon 4G (on wifi). But if I use my Note 3, my wife's S4, or my dads Note 2 it doesn't work. They just won't focus correctly so my bank refuses to accept the deposit. This is every time and with great lighting.

If any of you that deposit checks using this method, is there a setting in the camera app that I'm unaware of that's preventing this? I've tried setting the resolution down along with many other settings to no avail and just can't seem to get it to work on my Samsung devices. Any suggestions?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this applies to this issue but I read about someplace... Make the camera draw back from the check to that the check will look smaller in the lens. It could be that edges of the check aren't being picked up.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
It depends on each individual App. I can actually focus on the check when using my App. What happens when you touch the screen (away from the button to snap the pic) somewhere on the check itself? When I click on the image, it'll bring the item into focus.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use bank of America app and deposit about 15 checks per week with no issues

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

It's not about you whether you have issues or not. Lol
He's asking what can he do.
Each bank is different and some are pickier than others.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

The post before me mentioned it depends on the individual app. I was chiming in to say this other app works fine with deposits. If it's were the op I would have read that comment and maube said to myself "hmm,, maybe it's this app and not the phone". Fyi

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

The post before me mentioned it depends on the individual app. I was chiming in to say this other app works fine with deposits. If it's were the op I would have read that comment and maube said to myself "hmm,, maybe it's this app and not the phone". Fyi

You two simmer down now.... :p

As far as the banks go, having worked for Chase many years ago, the criteria for accepting check images is a government standard for the most part. My old HTC Rezound used to have trouble with my old ING banking app. Exact same issue, the app would refuse to focus on the check and thus the check image would be rejected. I think it took about 3-4 months before they finally updated the app so that it would work correctly.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this applies to this issue but I read about someplace... Make the camera draw back from the check to that the check will look smaller in the lens. It could be that edges of the check aren't being picked up.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Tried that. It does focus better but the app then says "Can't read account numbers".

It depends on each individual App. I can actually focus on the check when using my App. What happens when you touch the screen (away from the button to snap the pic) somewhere on the check itself? When I click on the image, it'll bring the item into focus.

This app doesn't manually focus, on any of my devices...only focus's after you snap the pic. Works on every phone except my Galaxy devices. If I click on the check itself, nothing happens.

Lucky!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Tried that. It does focus better but the app then says "Can't read account numbers".

This app doesn't manually focus, on any of my devices...only focus's after you snap the pic. Works on every phone except my Galaxy devices. If I click on the check itself, nothing happens.

Lucky!

Let the developer know that it doesn't allow the focus to take place. Also, does your app show the camera viewfinder on the phone in landscape or portrait mode? What does it do when you change the screen orientation? I think I recall my Rezound working if I'd let the viewfinder switch to portrait mode and just moved the check so it stood taller than wider.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Let the developer know that it doesn't allow the focus to take place. Also, does your app show the camera viewfinder on the phone in landscape or portrait mode? What does it do when you change the screen orientation? I think I recall my Rezound working if I'd let the viewfinder switch to portrait mode and just moved the check so it stood taller than wider.
I'll notify the developer in a few. The view is landscape only, it never goes to portrait. It's just frustrating because I get my Cell use check every month in the morning. I never get anywhere near my bank during the day to deposit it so it's a major convenience to deposit right there instead of waiting till I get home. If I wait till I get home, it doesn't post till the next day and sometimes....SOMETIMES...I need it then, not the next day :)

Dharma Jairam

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem. I use PNC bank and I tried several times. I even deleted and reinstalled the app. Sadly...The only thing that worked was using my wife's iPhone :(

Posted via Android Central App

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
What they should let you do is take a picture with just the camera's app and then have you select the image file from the camera's gallery. But just like a typical bank, I'm guessing they want full control of how they handle YOUR money....

jnadzam455

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had success with using the HTC One camera to deposit PNC Mobile or Virtual Wallet checks? Mine won't work and I have talked to tech support with no success. They said they are elevating the ticket to try and come up with a solution. I've tried changing many settings and put on different backgrounds but nothing seems to work. It just goes out of focus or it will take a "somewhat ok" picture and just fail when I try to submit. My wife's HTC Evo is flawless and works first time every time. If you have success with your HTC One let me know so I can try to copy your camera settings into my phone. Thanks.

Scavengergirl

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm unable to deposit checks using the Discover Mobile Banking app on my Samsung Galaxy S 4G Relay because of poor image quality. Normally the app doesn't even acknowledge an image, just freezes the screen for a very long moment (with a crystal clear image of the check visible) then goes back to the live image without saving the captured image.

Now, if I take a photo in complete darkness, the flash gets triggered & the app actually recognizes that a photo has been taken and even allows me to submit the deposit, but then rejects it because of the image quality, which is terrible. I have yet to get it to work.

What I do instead is open my other mobile banking app (from a local credit union), deposit the check there (using the same phone, same camera) and then transfer funds from that bank to my Discover account. Works every time. Wish my credit union would just give me a decent interest rate so I could just leave the cash there!

I've reinstalled the Discover app a few times, uninstalled any extra photo software & updated the original camera software but still can't use the Discover app for deposits. I don't think I can blame the camera hardware since one banking app works perfectly.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use bank of America app and deposit about 2 to 4 checks per day with my note 3 and it's flawless.

Note 3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING