How to add a "1" to every number in my contact list

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried that? I did days ago and it doesn't do what you think...my solution was simple and will work for every phone - few lines of VB in Excel, export from Outlook to Excel, run the code and export to Outlook. All fixed and 2500+ numbers fixed perfectly!

Slightly off topic, but did you really need VB code? I think we did this a while back with just a formula (concatenate maybe?).

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It was a few things - but code was the fastest means to the end.

There were so many different types of entries in the number fields from decades of adding contacts - it was just easier to write some code to prune/ clean and add.

I had numbers with and without the "1", with and without the area code, with and without extensions, different modifiers for extensions, like "x" or "ext", or "p", or "w", none of which work with Android, which needs a semicolon.

I could have screwed around with the find and replace feature, or macros...but I used VB and the results were perfect for 1100 contacts with multiple numbers. I had perhaps 10-15 numbers that needed manual editing and that was all.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

There were so many different types of entries in the number fields from decades of adding contacts - it was just easier to write some code to prune/ clean and add.

I had numbers with and without the "1", with and without the area code, with and without extensions, different modifiers for extensions, like "x" or "ext", or "p", or "w", none of which work with Android, which needs a semicolon.

I could have screwed around with the find and replace feature, or macros...but I used VB and the results were perfect for 1100 contacts with multiple numbers. I had perhaps 10-15 numbers that needed manual editing and that was all.

Gotcha.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

Could you post your VBA code please? A lot of my entries are messed up and I'd like to try your fix.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to know what you're doing, but here it is. You'll either have to redefine the column / row numbers to suit your spreadsheet or, move the data to those columns/ rows...so, columns 31-46 are the ones that contain all of my phone number fields and rows 3-975 are all the contact address's (one per line).

So, either you move your data into those columns/ rows, or make the changes in the VBA code below. The "colorindex=3" was to set the field to red when there was an anomoly in the field and it wasn't a clear cut solution. You will be alerted to numbers that are out of bounds with the code below. You'll see red colored fields where the VBA code burps. I had maybe 3-5 fields like that. My lead developer refined the code -

Sub reformatPhonNumbers()

Dim rowsOfNumber As Integer
Dim colsOfNum As Integer
Dim tempNum As String

For colsOfNum = 31 To 46
For rowsOfNumber = 3 To 975
tempNum = Cells(rowsOfNumber, colsOfNum)

If ((Len(tempNum) < 10) And (Len(tempNum) > 1)) Then
Cells(rowsOfNumber, colsOfNum).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
End If

If (Len(tempNum) > 9) Then

cachedNumber = ""

For i = 1 To Len(tempNum)

If (IsNumeric(Mid(tempNum, i, 1))) Then

If (Not ((Mid(tempNum, i, 1) = 1) And (Len(cachedNumber) = 0))) Then

If (tenCounter < 10) Then
cachedNumber = cachedNumber + Mid(tempNum, i, 1)

End If

End If

End If

Next i

'MsgBox cachedNumber

'fix the number to return
numberToReturn = ""
If (Len(cachedNumber) = 10) Then
numberToReturn = "1" + "-" + Mid(cachedNumber, 1, 3) + "-" + Mid(cachedNumber, 4, 3) + "-" + Mid(cachedNumber, 7, 4)
Cells(rowsOfNumber, colsOfNum) = numberToReturn
'MsgBox numberToReturn
End If

If (Len(cachedNumber) > 10) Then
numberToReturn = "1" + "-" + Mid(cachedNumber, 1, 3) + "-" + Mid(cachedNumber, 4, 3) + "-" + Mid(cachedNumber, 7, 4) + ";" + Mid(cachedNumber, 11, Len(cachedNumber))
Cells(rowsOfNumber, colsOfNum) = numberToReturn
'MsgBox numberToReturn
End If

End If
Next rowsOfNumber
Next colsOfNum

End Sub

Function getCleanNumber(strCell)

getCleanNumber = strCell

End Function

Forum statistics

Threads