How to add a "1" to every number in my contact list

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I came from BlackBerry and the smart-dial setup on BB's had an option to append digits globally when a number was entered or called up to dial.

Example - if my address book contact number is 514-XXX-XXXX, it would add the "1" if the area code being dialed was different from the device's phone number area code.

I have 1100+ contacts in my Address book (Exchange Active Sync). Each time I dial a long distance number from a contact, my carrier announces "the number you are dialing is long distance. Long charges may apply" before it appends and dials. If I had the "1" in there, I wouldn't have to listen to that junk

Toll free numbers just won't complete at all without a "1", so you must add a "1" before dialing, so I can't dial from my contacts; I have to enter the number manually.

Android doesn't seem to have the same smart dialing as BB, so I need to basically add the "1" to every contact in my address book, or if I could, all contacts outside my area code and all toll free numbers.

Is there some way to do this, or some utility in Android for this? I'm using Touchdown for Exchange. Can't do it in Outlook 2010 easily either.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Never mind - all I had to do was think about it and I fixed it. Exported my address book to excel - added the one using some VB code and imported it back. Took all of 5 minutes. Wow...gee - LOL

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like that should be the carrier, not Android. What carrier are you with? I have zero '1's in front of my 10-digit phone #s, many of them out of my local area code. Never heard the voice message your getting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
None of mine have that issue... Tmobile here. When I was on Sprint the 1 wasn't required either.

Who are you on?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
On Telus in Canada. In the US, it probably doesn't apply since most carriers consider the entire USA local. I'm on T-mo for my US phone and it's not required. Here in Canada, it is however, but I fixed it in Excel anyway anyway! Thanks for the replies!

In Canada, we're used to getting ****ed by everyone - LOL

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.

All you had to do is

Phone>menu>call settings>additional settings>auto area code

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I came from BlackBerry and the smart-dial setup on BB's had an option to append digits globally when a number was entered or called up to dial.

Example - if my address book contact number is 514-XXX-XXXX, it would add the "1" if the area code being dialed was different from the device's phone number area code.

I have 1100+ contacts in my Address book (Exchange Active Sync). Each time I dial a long distance number from a contact, my carrier announces "the number you are dialing is long distance. Long charges may apply" before it appends and dials. If I had the "1" in there, I wouldn't have to listen to that junk

Toll free numbers just won't complete at all without a "1", so you must add a "1" before dialing, so I can't dial from my contacts; I have to enter the number manually.

Android doesn't seem to have the same smart dialing as BB, so I need to basically add the "1" to every contact in my address book, or if I could, all contacts outside my area code and all toll free numbers.

Is there some way to do this, or some utility in Android for this? I'm using Touchdown for Exchange. Can't do it in Outlook 2010 easily either.

All you had to do

Phone>menu>call settings>additional settings>auto area code

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried that? I did days ago and it doesn't do what you think...my solution was simple and will work for every phone - few lines of VB in Excel, export from Outlook to Excel, run the code and export to Outlook. All fixed and 2500+ numbers fixed perfectly!

Now, all my numbers look like this, 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX and if they have an extension, 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX;XXX

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Didn't for me - all that does is add an area code to a 7-digit number...and that wasn't my problem if you read my post.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Although I am sitting in US with my Telus note 3 with an At&t sim card in it.

I removed the 1 in front of my wife phone number I had in my phone book then went to those settings and put 1.
Then I called her in Canada and it worked well.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Didn't for me - all that does is add an area code to a 7-digit number...and that wasn't my problem if you read my post.

I don't know how you did that. I understand what you wanted. Just adding the number 1 in front of your phone number.
It worked the way I explain

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so you understand, you probably don't even need the "1" on AT&T. All that function does, is append the digit to the dialling display when you manually dial a number. It does NOT add the digit to contact numbers on the fly. I was hoping it would when I tried it before posting here, but it didn't.

On my US SIM card (T-Mobile), when I dial outside of my SIM card's area code, I do NOT have to use the "1" either. In Canada, as you well know, you must use the "1" when dialling outside of your local area code. In Canada you can use the "1" for local and long distance, so I added the "1" to every single number in my contact list. If I move to another area code one day, and I will - I will not have to change the numbers again.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok you are right for me being in the US. Tomorrow I'm coming back to Canada and I will try again to call her using that method as soon I crossed the border

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok you are right for me being in the US. Tomorrow I'm coming back to Canada and I will try again to call her using that method as soon I crossed the border

Even so, the setting you used does not and can not add the digits to numbers in your contact list - so when you try to dial a number from your contact list, it will dial exactly what is in the contact and NOT add the "1". That's the whole problem Alain...

In Canada, if you don't dial the "1" for long distance, it will still work, but your carrier will give you a long stupid message before it completes the call. Toll free numbers will not complete at all without the "1".

J'ai bien compris ce que tu m'a expliquer...mais ca marche pas exactement comme je voulais! Mon solution marche est c'est un solution permanent! Merci quand meme!

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
It used to be that way here too. Or was with some carriers at least. Not sure when it changed as I just got onto the habit of putting the 1 in all numbers she pitting them in manually. I noticed that I didn't need it when saving a number if someone called me, but beyond thinking it must have changed, I didn't give it much thought.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers