[Rant] Returning my 2nd Note 3 - 3rd Droid

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
So I swapped to a Galaxy S4 a few months ago from only using iPhones. The swap was an experience, but I love Android thus far. I got so used to the large screen that I donated my S4 to my wife and bought a Note 3. A few days later the S4 somehow managed to stop receiving a charge, battery was fine, charger was fine, something just stopped working in the phone. So I made my first exchange barely 3 months in. Mid-October my Note 3 screen flickered while on my desk, upon investigating I (eventually) discovered it was stuck in smart-cover mode(I don't own a smart-cover). Luckily, I had my Best Buy 45-day return so I swapped it out for a new one and went through the headache of setting my phone back up. Well what happens today? My new Note 3 proximity sensor stops working which I'm reading is also a hardware failure.

I spend 30 minutes commuting every day, my phone spends 12 hours at my desk, then a few more hours at home, and 8 hours charging per night. Wear and tear is not even a factor here. For all the amazing features that I get with Android, they aren't worth a damn if I can't use my phone. I'm no fanboy, but I have to say that neither my wife nor myself EVER had to return an iPhone for faulty hardware. This has been a pain in the ***...

This is just me venting, but if someone could point me in the direction of an easy backup/restore method that would be great! I tried Titanium Backup(I'm Rooted) for my first Note 3, but since I'm not saavy with Android I managed to duplicate all sorts of files, and create multiple errors with my apps. I spent more time fixing issues than I would have starting from the ground up... All of the guides I found are written for someone who knows Android/Titanium Backup front to back. Surely there's a simpler method out there, right?

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
So I swapped to a Galaxy S4 a few months ago from only using iPhones. The swap was an experience, but I love Android thus far. I got so used to the large screen that I donated my S4 to my wife and bought a Note 3. A few days later the S4 somehow managed to stop receiving a charge, battery was fine, charger was fine, something just stopped working in the phone. So I made my first exchange barely 3 months in. Mid-October my Note 3 screen flickered while on my desk, upon investigating I (eventually) discovered it was stuck in smart-cover mode(I don't own a smart-cover). Luckily, I had my Best Buy 45-day return so I swapped it out for a new one and went through the headache of setting my phone back up. Well what happens today? My new Note 3 proximity sensor stops working which I'm reading is also a hardware failure.

I spend 30 minutes commuting every day, my phone spends 12 hours at my desk, then a few more hours at home, and 8 hours charging per night. Wear and tear is not even a factor here. For all the amazing features that I get with Android, they aren't worth a damn if I can't use my phone. I'm no fanboy, but I have to say that neither my wife nor myself EVER had to return an iPhone for faulty hardware. This has been a pain in the ***...

This is just me venting, but if someone could point me in the direction of an easy backup/restore method that would be great! I tried Titanium Backup(I'm Rooted) for my first Note 3, but since I'm not saavy with Android I managed to duplicate all sorts of files, and create multiple errors with my apps. I spent more time fixing issues than I would have starting from the ground up... All of the guides I found are written for someone who knows Android/Titanium Backup front to back. Surely there's a simpler method out there, right?

Here you go! Give this a shot.

Also, not trying to be rude/mean, but many issues are caused by user error. My buddy has an S4 and he came by my house and said his phone wouldn't charge. I plugged it in and, lo and behold, it charged right up. I believe his case may have been causing an issue, not letting the charger fully connect. I know a few people that have come from iOS that get mad because they are unable to figure out a setting that they have changed and blamed the OS.

I am not saying that is you, but did you double and triple check that it wasn't user error/software as opposed to the hardware? I have had MANY different android phones, and have RARELY had to swap one out. I get on here and see posts where people are on their 5th, 7th, 10th exchange and really wonder if someone could be that unlucky????

Again, not trying to be mean, just trying to lend a hand and maybe some constructive criticism. :)

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Here you go! Give this a shot.

Also, not trying to be rude/mean, but many issues are caused by user error. My buddy has an S4 and he came by my house and said his phone wouldn't charge. I plugged it in and, lo and behold, it charged right up. I believe his case may have been causing an issue, not letting the charger fully connect. I know a few people that have come from iOS that get mad because they are unable to figure out a setting that they have changed and blamed the OS.

I am not saying that is you, but did you double and triple check that it wasn't user error/software as opposed to the hardware? I have had MANY different android phones, and have RARELY had to swap one out. I get on here and see posts where people are on their 5th, 7th, 10th exchange and really wonder if someone could be that unlucky????

Again, not trying to be mean, just trying to lend a hand and maybe some constructive criticism. :)

Haha, not a problem at all. I'm a very tech savvy guy and believe I've just had a bad run of hardware. We tried 3 chargers and 3 cables(a factory charger and cable) on that S4 and had no luck. It was like a solder joint gave out or a connection was weak/corroded. The smart-cover was a very bizarre issue and I did find 3-4 others online with the problem. I assume there's a magnetic mechanism that somehow turned itself on. I used a smart cover at Best Buy to try and "un-trigger" it, but it kept displaying info in a small box on the top half of my screen and the bottom half was unresponsive to touch. This proximity sensor bug is more common and is apparently caused by dust getting in through the ear piece - I haven't installed any software in weeks so I'm just at a loss.

I appreciate the app suggestion! Do these apps backup/restore everything including settings? I'm thinking along the lines of a PC image/ghost for my phone. I've read about "nandroid backups" which sounds like a image/ghost to me and I am rooted. The less post-restore setup I have to do, the better.

johnmltb33

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 is not rooted, but I've had excellent experience with the "G Cloud" app from the Google Play store. I downloaded it on my Galaxy SIII the day before my Note 3 arrived, saved all my settings, apps, contacts, etc. to it. The next day after initializing my new Note 3, I downloaded the G Cloud app onto the new phone, signed in and zap, the Note 3 was set up exactly like my SIII ! The app allows you to back up as much or as little as you like. Also, you can set a backup schedule for your new phone in case something happens and never worry again.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Text message get backed up by your Samsung cloud acct. I have used it before and it works. All it backs up is that, wallpaper and some contacts - LOL

At the OP, sorry about your issues; while I have had no issues with mine, I have had dozens of BlackBerry's I have had to exchange/ return etc...and it sucks when it happens.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My brother had to return an iPhone 4S 2 times and an iPhone 5 once because of faulty hardware. One 4S's screen turned off and well, never turned back on and the other, the power button pushed in and stayed there. The 5 would randomly reboot. So instead of exchanging his 5 for another5, he cut his ties with VZW and I put him on my Sprint plan and got him a MotoX. He loves it!! It was a complete learning curve for him....but then again....playing hungry hungry hippo's is a learning curve for him!.

Point being is that the iPhone is NOT immune from faulty hardware. No phone nor manufacturer is. Don't get disappointed. Just return them for another or send them in for repair. I know...bad first impression...but you can learn to love again :)

As for the S4's charging port, you might want to send it in for repair. You do have a 1 year warranty and I've heard it's a 2 week turn around, But I would exchange that N3 till you got one that works like you want and need it too. I know it's a pain. Just back up your stuff and you should be good to go!!

Good luck!

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Point being is that the iPhone is NOT immune from faulty hardware. No phone nor manufacturer is.
This. The rest of my family uses iPhones and several of them have had problems with their devices. Apple is great about returns during warranty periods and if you buy Apple Care.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Of course they are...at 700 for the phone and 100+ for Apple care, they had better be! You get what you pay for with Apple.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This. The rest of my family uses iPhones and several of them have had problems with their devices. Apple is great about returns during warranty periods and if you buy Apple Care.

The ONE thing I credit Apple for is their service. It is second to none. Honestly, I would own Apple products if their business model was completely different than the way it is now. Ya know, the frivolous lawsuits, telling you we know what you want and etc., because their products are...well...sexy!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Of course they are...at 700 for the phone and 100+ for Apple care, they had better be! You get what you pay for with Apple.

A bunch of icons in a row that anyone (including people in rubber rooms) can operate? Is that what 700 bucks buys you? LOL :)

Just kidding man, don't kill me!

LosingMyMind

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I use both iPhone and note ;) I almost gave up on the note after a bad experience with a defective device. This one I've had no problems with. I love both, both iPhone and androids have pros and cons.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Haha, not a problem at all. I'm a very tech savvy guy and believe I've just had a bad run of hardware. We tried 3 chargers and 3 cables(a factory charger and cable) on that S4 and had no luck. It was like a solder joint gave out or a connection was weak/corroded. The smart-cover was a very bizarre issue and I did find 3-4 others online with the problem. I assume there's a magnetic mechanism that somehow turned itself on. I used a smart cover at Best Buy to try and "un-trigger" it, but it kept displaying info in a small box on the top half of my screen and the bottom half was unresponsive to touch. This proximity sensor bug is more common and is apparently caused by dust getting in through the ear piece - I haven't installed any software in weeks so I'm just at a loss.

I appreciate the app suggestion! Do these apps backup/restore everything including settings? I'm thinking along the lines of a PC image/ghost for my phone. I've read about "nandroid backups" which sounds like a image/ghost to me and I am rooted. The less post-restore setup I have to do, the better.

Here's a recent thread that may help for ideas and apps to use for backing up non-rooted phones.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/345759-taking-system-backup-without-root.html

As for using Nandroid based backups, you need to have an unlocked boot loader and a custom recovery installed. The custom recovery is what makes the Nandroid. I've read that Nandroids (at least with TWRP) don't backup your Media (photos and stuff in DCIM or related media folders). So, highly suggest not exclusively relying upon Nandroids for the entire phone backup - if you decide to go down the custom ROM path.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

If you decide to stay rooted, I've found that Titanium Backup is great for freezing bloat. That's mostly what I've used it for with other phones. As for backup options, posted a suggestion to your other response. Hope this helps.

thools60

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My daughters are on their third iphone 5 in twelwe months. ALL with hardware problems.........

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones are computers. Most people don't know how to use them - and just pollute them with stupid, free, garbage apps or just do stupid things with/ to them.

99% of the time, it's user-related.

Hardware and / or OS's are not usually the root causes.

You have to wonder about individuals who are on their 3rd/ 4th and 5th phones, all due the same issue. How is it that it's always the same thing happening to the same person on the same type of phone and yet it doesn't happen to millions of others. Are these people special? Do they have something in their body that causes phones to randomly reboot time after time, phone after phone?

Is it that all the phones sold in the same geographical area over a period of time are just defective? Really?

Logically, when you assemble all the facts, you have no choice but to conclude that the problem is really PEBKAC 99% of the time.

Statistics don't lie - and if you could collect enough pertinent data, you would to see the pattern/ problem. PEBKAC - and the manufacturers know it too.

I can't imagine having exchanged 4 iPhones due to "random reboot", when there are 10's of millions out there with the same OS that DON'T have the issue - why is that? When I read that post, I can see we're dealing with a moron or a troll...he can't even write. Ya, he need serious help alright, but not for his phone issues.

It behooves me as to how stupid some people really are. Wow.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones are computers. Most people don't know how to use them - and just pollute them with stupid, free, garbage apps or just do stupid things with/ to them.

99% of the time, it's user-related.

Can't agree more. This is my first Android phone. Came from the iPhone 3, 4, and 5.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37