how to opereate the radio tuner in note 3

hammill

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
first i have to say that I'm a bit new in the android world.
i have managed to work with most of the features in my new note 3, some of them still left to learn.
i have in my application manager an app. named 'ant radio service'.
and the next line is 'ant+ plugins' .
when i press to choose the ant radio service, it gives me options like - force stop, uninstall updates, turn off that looks like it already turn on.
but how can i actually play it ?.

is there no way to change/correct post name? (made some spelling mistake...).

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
hi hammill - unfortunately, you won't be able to play the ANT+ radio as it's not really intended for that. ANT+ is the wireless standard for interconnection with sensors, most commonly heart rate monitor, and cadence sensors used typically for cycling, jogging, etc. The standard is owned by a company owned by Garmin .. they started it for their fitness products and license its use. The intention for ANT+ in note 3 would be to collect that type of data when you exercise (rather than or in addition to using a garmin head end computer). The competitor to this is bluetooth for some fitness products now on the market who didn't want to license the ANT+ standard. Hope this helps. there are a ton of radio apps by the way that will let you stream audio over your regular data connection.

hammill

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
o.k i see.
i heard that there is some other app. you can install that do receive fm radio stations.
can you recommend on one of them ?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you own the sprint version, the radio app is called nextradio. It streams but it also has a tuner to tune in to all local stations using your headphones as the antenna. Works like a champ and does not use data.

Posted via Android Central App

hammill

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
how can i find if i have the sprint version ?
i made a search in my device and it didn't find nextradio.

edit.
is says that nextradio isn't available for my device.
I'll try to install tunein.

edit 2
installed tuneih. it works fine, don't have to use headphones as antenna. the reception is good .
it says that my android is week and suggest me to install some cleaner.
should i do it ?

edit 3
i realized now tat we're talking about internet radio, means that it only can play if the device is connected.
is there any app. that gives you a regular tuner , receiving from air ?

Last edited:

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
As stated, the Sprint version does have a built in FM radio tuner, uses the headphones as the antenna, not sure if the hardware is different or locked out in software on other versions.

hammill

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
what is the 'sprint version' ?
or what i have to do to have it?
not sure if it's relevant but my note 3 is the n9005 model and i live in the meddle east.
so if sprint is a cellular provider i suppose i can't use it.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Sprint is a USA wireless carrier, if nextradio is not on your device, and not available, then my guess would be that you do not have an FM tuner, sorry.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
you should have a sprint app icon for nextradio and by clicking it it should download. some phones dont even have the fm receiving capabilities. i know they were saying the not3 was going to have them before launch but they never came loaded with it. you may just need to use internet radio.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
o.k i see.
i heard that there is some other app. you can install that do receive fm radio stations.
can you recommend on one of them ?

there's a lot of them and I'm not a big user so can't really recommend... there's iheart radio, rdo (I think), and many individual radio stations let you stream directly from their web site or have an app. There's also pandora, etc. some of which I think are free. Best bet is to search in google play and check some out... maybe others will jump in here too .. good luck...

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I use iPlayer Radio to listen to BBC radio here in the UK. It is streamed live with only minimal delay from actual off air transmissions.

I don't think you have grasped it yet.

You don't need to use your headphone cable as an antenna. The Note 3 does not contain an FM receiver. Any radio stations you listen to on the phone through any of the apps are being streamed to your phone as data either via Wi-Fi or over your cellular network.

Most Apps that play radio will not play anything local to you. If you are in Bahrain and want to listen to the local stations breakfast show you might be out of luck.

Many stations have their own apps or allow you to stream through their web page so you might be lucky there.

hammill

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
i think that the note 3 ( as the s4) don't have a built in radio.
when i try to download and install nextradio using play store it says " this item isn't available on your carrier".
i guess it means that i can use only internet radio.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, the only note 3 that has an FM tuner is the N900P, and it is only available on Sprint, all of the FM tuner apps in Google play State Sprint version only on note 3, so you will have to use one of the streaming radio apps. ..

hammill

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I use iPlayer Radio to listen to BBC radio here in the UK. It is streamed live with only minimal delay from actual off air transmissions.

I don't think you have grasped it yet.

You don't need to use your headphone cable as an antenna. The Note 3 does not contain an FM receiver. Any radio stations you listen to on the phone through any of the apps are being streamed to your phone as data either via Wi-Fi or over your cellular network.

Most Apps that play radio will not play anything local to you. If you are in Bahrain and want to listen to the local stations breakfast show you might be out of luck.

Many stations have their own apps or allow you to stream through their web page so you might be lucky there.

bbc is great. i wish i could use it.
yea, i suppose you right on everything you wrote.
actually I'm in Israel and after installing TUNEIN RADIO it plays all the local stations i need , and more.
sound quality is very good, also the variety.
i just thought i can find a radio that doesn't use WiFi or cellular, but it looks it isn't available for me, so I'll just have to live with it :)
thanks all for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie