Here's how to spot a fake Note 3! (For those looking at online marketplaces or unofficial retailers)

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think most know they're selling counterfeits...they just always have a canned answer that seems half plausible.

Either way, you have eBay's buyer protection. I'm the kind of person that trusts before they mistrust(aka gullible) so I wasn't really angry when I found it was a fake, just upset.

But true, the number of people knowingly selling fakes will be higher than those who don't know they're selling fakes. Just make sure you're well informed and you'll be set.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think most know they're selling counterfeits...they just always have a canned answer that seems half plausible.

I think so too. They try to pass off decent fakes, and probably a majority of people would not know the difference. The ones that do, they just say sorry, didn't know and give a refund. It is pretty much a dead giveaway if they sell multiple note 3 's

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think so too. They try to pass off decent fakes, and probably a majority of people would not know the difference. The ones that do, they just say sorry, didn't know and give a refund. It is pretty much a dead giveaway if they sell multiple note 3 's

You can't not know if your listing says "Clone" lol

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

You've got to understand that not everyone is going to be aware of this. Sure, the number is most likely negligible, but it is illogical to assume that not a single person would purchase a clone without being fully aware of what it is. I for one believed the clones were lookalikes with a different brand name that conserved the Note 3's aesthetic rather than being phones that claimed to be real Note 3s.

I wouldn't willingly purchase a clone under any circumstance, but I believe people who do have another agenda. One that involves tricking an unsuspecting passerby.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You've got to understand that not everyone is going to be aware of this. Sure, the number is most likely negligible, but it is illogical to assume that not a single person would purchase a clone without being fully aware of what it is. I for one believed the clones were lookalikes with a different brand name that conserved the Note 3's aesthetic rather than being phones that claimed to be real Note 3s.

I wouldn't willingly purchase a clone under any circumstance, but I believe people who do have another agenda. One that involves tricking an unsuspecting passerby.

I was referring to the seller. He said that some claim to not know they were selling a counterfeit.
If the seller took the time to write "clone" in the listing, they have to be fully aware that it is a fake

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I was referring to the seller. He said that some claim to not know they were selling a counterfeit.
If the seller took the time to write "clone" in the listing, they have to be fully aware that it is a fake

Oh, haha. My bad. I was referring to people who list fakes as originals. Which is what happened to me. If the seller is listing it as a clone then yes, it's being sold as a clone and if the seller does not accept returns(which many do not) you're stuck with the t hing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Obviously the point I was making its of they try to pass off a clone as a genuine note 3. I think the seller knows and just apologises to those who find out and refund.

If they are truly regretful they would pull the listing, and contact all previous buyers and provide a full refund.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Obviously the point I was making its of they try to pass off a clone as a genuine note 3. I think the seller knows and just apologises to those who find out and refund.

If they are truly regretful they would pull the listing, and contact all previous buyers and provide a full refund.

Yeah. I bought a fake Spigen Slim Armor once, asked for a full refund and he apologized many times after I threatened with a bad review lol
He kept the listing there -_-

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I bought a fake Spigen Slim Armor once, asked for a full refund and he apologized many times after I threatened with a bad review lol
He kept the listing there -_-

I avoid buying from ebay these days, unless buying from the manufacturer or a major store like adorama, buy.com, etc. Way too many fakes out there especially on stuff easy to fake like cases, headphones, etc.

With that said I bought my spigen slim armor authentic from Spigen through Amazon which developed a crack. They sent a replacement which had a crack in the same spot before I even removed it from the shipping bag.

I don't know how much fakes are going for, but I bought my spigen slim armor for $6.50 on sale.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I avoid buying from ebay these days, unless buying from the manufacturer or a major store like adorama, buy.com, etc. Way too many fakes out there especially on stuff easy to fake like cases, headphones, etc.

With that said I bought my spigen slim armor authentic from Spigen through Amazon which developed a crack. They sent a replacement which had a crack in the same spot before I even removed it from the shipping bag.

I don't know how much fakes are going for, but I bought my spigen slim armor for $6.50 on sale.

Bought mine for $4.50
Got a refund, bought a real one from my school's tech shop for $20.
As far as eBay, I buy from anyone with good feedback, usually over 98% and have buyer protection. Up until recently, I hadn't bought anything over $150

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Wait, wait, wait!! Am I correct when I read the ad and it specifically says "CLONE" aka fake??

In that case, no real need to do all the research to show the difference between real and fake. Unless I'm not reading this correctly, the seller says "fake" right up front, so I'm not sure I get what all the fuss is about.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Wait, wait, wait!! Am I correct when I read the ad and it specifically says "CLONE" aka fake??

In that case, no real need to do all the research to show the difference between real and fake. Unless I'm not reading this correctly, the seller says "fake" right up front, so I'm not sure I get what all the fuss is about.

This is in case it doesn't say that. Not everybody who sells fakes comes forward and admits, some of them sell the "real" Note 3 and hope you fall for it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Bought mine for $4.50
Got a refund, bought a real one from my school's tech shop for $20.
As far as eBay, I buy from anyone with good feedback, usually over 98% and have buyer protection. Up until recently, I hadn't bought anything over $150

98+ isn't a guarantee either. Yes, it is protected, but I don't want to have to investigate every item I buy to determine whether or not it is a fake. Some of these sellers sell high quality fakes, hard to distinguish from the real thing unless you look for it or have the genuine item in hand. And when a buyer discovers that it is a fake, they apologize in a seemingly sincere manner and refund letting the buyer keep the item usually so the chance of negative feedback is low.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If the seller indicates that it is a clone then the seller is in the clear. The issue really is when it is a clone yet passed off as a genuine product

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
98+ isn't a guarantee either. Yes, it is protected, but I don't want to have to investigate every item I buy to determine whether or not it is a fake. Some of these sellers sell high quality fakes, hard to distinguish from the real thing unless you look for it or have the genuine item in hand. And when a buyer discovers that it is a fake, they apologize in a seemingly sincere manner and refund letting the buyer keep the item usually so the chance of negative feedback is low.

Oh I know it's not a guarantee, but I rarely buy stuff that people would even both counterfeiting. I have only bought a handful of things on eBay ($150 headphones, $1,200 laptop, and a few accessories for my phone. Plus a couple of t-shirts)
The headphones were from an electronics store with 99% feedback and over 10K points. Laptop was from official Acer store and I know the t-shirts weren't counterfeit because they weren't a specific brand or official item to begin with :p

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

There are several different ways to sell a fake. One of them is to sell it as a fake, which is what the first listing is an example of. There are other ways which vary with the intentions and knowledge of the seller.

stiffcookie

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
2) "Smart Care" stickers. As far as I'm aware, none of the original boxes are supposed to have this sticker. The knockoff I have has it, as well as knockoffs I've come across in my research. If someone has an original Note 3 that came in a box with one of these stickers, you may correct me. I'm not 100% sure on this bit.

z5t4U0M.png

Hi guys.

I have a genuine European version of the Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900) that was packaged with the Smart Care sticker. In the EU there is a law that all consumer goods are covered by a 2 year minimum warranty. That'd make sense why we get the "Smart Care 24 month warranty". I'm guessing the knockoffs more accurately imitate this version.

Information on EU Warranty

Also a link here from a blogger that was supplied a Note 3 directly from Samsung:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Fashion Notebook

Hope that clears up any confusion.

EDIT: Just found What is Smart Care? - Looks like the "genuine" phones with this sticker originated in Africa!

EDIT2: A link to an article regarding Samsung "Smart Care" in Africa Here!

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys.

I have a genuine European version of the Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900) that was packaged with the Smart Care sticker. In the EU there is a law that all consumer goods are covered by a 2 year minimum warranty. That'd make sense why we get the "Smart Care 24 month warranty". I'm guessing the knockoffs more accurately imitate this version.

Information on EU Warranty

Also a link here from a blogger that was supplied a Note 3 directly from Samsung:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Fashion Notebook

Hope that clears up any confusion.

EDIT: Just found This - Maybe the "genuine" phones with this sticker originated in Africa somehow?

Thank you for the update. :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers