File transfer utility for mac that works

Dryasanne

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am a proud mac user (macbook pro 2012 model)
I am a even more proud Samsung note 3 user!

This is an old problem of mine, have never got a working solution, maybe 2014 can help me?

I have some 1 gb of music on my Note 3. Not any music - the complete albums of Beatles ( everyone from Please please me to Let it Be).
But I have them on internal memory, not on the 64GB SD card, thats too bad.

So:

a) How do I copy this music to my Dropbox?
b) How do I move this music to my 64GB sd card on my Note 3?
c) How do I best copy this to my Xperia Z which I use solely as music player (it has a 16GB sd card)

I am not at all a computer genius, just an old retired gardener, but this Beatles music is so important to me,
I have really forgotten howw my grandson ever managed to put them on my phone.

Yes, I have tried Kies, but that didnt work at all, could never find the device, I have no time wating on that,
and I found a program on my mac Android File Transfer, that wouldnt see my device either, will not start at all when I connect the usb cable

There must be a software out there that is just plain and easy, just copy the music, nothing more fany than that ??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and goo-goo-g'joob! You could consider transferring files wirelessly, but be aware that this could take a while. You can use apps like WiFi File Explorer or AirDroid to access your phone's files from your Mac's browser, and download those files. The tricky thing is that multiple files are usually downloaded as a ZIP file, which you can then unzip on your computer--I'm just not sure if there's a limit to how many files can be downloaded at a time.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Just setup and install Google Drive. It's all wireless, seamless on the device, OS X and Windows. You get 15 GB of free storage included and there's no charge for any of it, unless you want to buy additional storage.The OS X clients I have tried are useless and cumbersome, not to mention that they don't work anyway. LOL

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Android File Transfer works flawlessly for me on my Mac Pro 2009.

I would persevere with that if I was you. It should work no problem.

What is happening? Does it not open automatically when you plug in your phone?

Do you get any error messages?

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and goo-goo-g'joob! You could consider transferring files wirelessly, but be aware that this could take a while. You can use apps like WiFi File Explorer or AirDroid to access your phone's files from your Mac's browser, and download those files. The tricky thing is that multiple files are usually downloaded as a ZIP file, which you can then unzip on your computer--I'm just not sure if there's a limit to how many files can be downloaded at a time.

Airdroid is the best and easiest way. Apple always has to make everything difficult when it comes to any other platform.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I am a proud mac user (macbook pro 2012 model)
I am a even more proud Samsung note 3 user!

This is an old problem of mine, have never got a working solution, maybe 2014 can help me?

I have some 1 gb of music on my Note 3. Not any music - the complete albums of Beatles ( everyone from Please please me to Let it Be).
But I have them on internal memory, not on the 64GB SD card, thats too bad.

So:

a) How do I copy this music to my Dropbox?
b) How do I move this music to my 64GB sd card on my Note 3?
c) How do I best copy this to my Xperia Z which I use solely as music player (it has a 16GB sd card)

I am not at all a computer genius, just an old retired gardener, but this Beatles music is so important to me,
I have really forgotten howw my grandson ever managed to put them on my phone.

Yes, I have tried Kies, but that didnt work at all, could never find the device, I have no time wating on that,
and I found a program on my mac Android File Transfer, that wouldnt see my device either, will not start at all when I connect the usb cable

There must be a software out there that is just plain and easy, just copy the music, nothing more fany than that ??

Android File Transfer won't work if Kies is also installed. There's some sort of device/driver conflict.

I've had great success with Kies 3.0. Sees my Note 3 each time. On the main Kies page that shows the device, double click on the folder for the internal or external SD card. This brings up a small "finder like" window. From there you can navigate to the stuff you want to move to/from your Mac's relevant Finder folder location.

The WIFi based options others have shared are probably quickest option if you don't want to troubleshoot your Kies and AFT situation.

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I was using Android File Transfer too and it Worked fine. Then I read about kies and installed that. Of course then Android File Transfer stopped working for me.
As I have no real use for Kies l uninstalled it but Android File Transfer still won't work! Now I'm stuck. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012.

Sent from my SM-N9005

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
As I said, Google Drive. Fastest and easiest way for OS X. I tried Android File transfer and it never worked for me, but Google Drive is seamless.

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Sadly for me 1 Live out in the sticks. My connection speed is 300 kbps! This makes the cloud a pipedream for me.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was using Android File Transfer too and it Worked fine. Then I read about kies and installed that. Of course then Android File Transfer stopped working for me.
As I have no real use for Kies l uninstalled it but Android File Transfer still won't work! Now I'm stuck. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012.

Sent from my SM-N9005

If you haven't already tried, I'd uninstall AFT, then reboot your Mini. This might help flush out anything still hanging around from the Kies install/uninstall, and the AFT uninstall. After the reboot, a new AFT install may work better.

I've also used Droid NAS. Helps your Android device emulate and show up as an Apple like File System/device in Finder.

AirDroid, or even Kies Air are other options to consider per everyone elses suggestion for WiFi based tools.

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
When I uninstalled Kies I just did it the Apple way but I've now been reading elsewhere that I need to use the built-in Kies uninstaller. I'll try that now by re-installing Kies first. Getting sick of this nonsense to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
OK, problem solved. I re-downloaded Kies and ran the uninstaller which comes in the package (even though at this point Kies isn't actually installed) and rebooted the computer. I installed AFT and all is well in my world.

Thanks very much for the help.

Sent from my SM-N9005

georgium

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Me too thanks to your saying "I re-downloaded Kies and ran the uninstaller which comes in the package (even though at this point Kies isn't actually installed) before I did try to no avail, since I have the problem for 2 weeks I spent hours on Google and a few forum, to night half an hour and its working, most thanks everybody

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Kies worked fine for me on my Mac but I didn't really see the point in it when Android File Transfer does all I need it to and with a far smaller footprint. Sorry though, I have no idea why it hangs on your Mac.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv