Why so much hate for Touchwiz?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's kinda ugly. Plus, some of us like more docks and screens and more flexibility with icon size, scrolling ability, and tweakability.

Posted via Android Central App

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It's simple really.
1) It today's society - esp in North America - saying you "don't like" something has become equated with "hating" it. Actually "dislike" and "hate have become interchangeable, even though they mean pretty different things.
2) Everyone loves to look down on something or someone, or simply to complain about some product because its popular to do so - therefore "hating Touchwiz" has become cool to do, similar to how some people "hate Apple".

Is TouchWiz perfect? Nope - nothing is. Does it suit some people's needs? Sure - look at the success of the Galaxy lineup. They've sold millions and millions of the things and they all have TouchWiz. However, a vast majority of users don't know that they can change launchers and (almost) eliminate the "ugly look" it has. The most vocal ones who complain are ones like you and me who browse forums as part of daily (or weekly) routine. Most people just use it and don't think twice about it. They either don't know (or don't care) about the options to change it or whatever.

Do I LIKE TouchWiz? I think it's a little to in-your-face visually, and I think they could really re-write the code to make it more efficient (and eliminate some of the "features" they keep throwing in). But that's just opinion - its not enough to keep me from buying a Samsung device. I'll buy a device as a whole based on how it fits my needs/wants. Not just ignore a great phone because everyone else thinks I should - based on software.

At the end of the day, there's only one person who has to use the phone on a day-to-day basis. You. If YOU like TouchWiz, great - keep using it. If not - great, change it up. (Replace the launcher, or buy a device from a different manufacturer, or root and ROM it, or...). Who cares what someone else's opinion is of what you find works for you? If it works, good. If it doesn't, find a solution. All that matters is that the device meets YOUR needs - not the opinion of some person hiding behind a screen-name and a keyboard.

:)

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. My note 3 is one amazing phone. I also read that Samsung might be updating Touchwiz soon :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The second reply sums up a lot of people... it simply has become "cool" to hate on TouchWiz. There's nothing overly bad about TouchWiz... I like it and I'm using it on my Note 3 and used to use it on my Galaxy S3.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It's just a preference really. I don't care for touch wiz and the next guy may. I like the LG skin and the next person may not

Beauty is in the half of the beholder

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have never had any real issue's with touchwiz despite what some may say. That said I recently purchased the Nexus 5 and as you all know that is vanilla and so so smoooth, it's then that you can see that touchwiz is heavy.

I have always used launchers like Nova and Apex etc so I got away from the touchwiz look a while ago. I am now running 4.4.2 kitkat on my Note 3 with X-Note rom and Apex launcher and it's much smoother and better looking than touchwiz.

For some Touchwiz is OK but for many that have experienced vanilla they just wouldn't go back.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For me it is about what it doesn't do. Wallpaper scroll is my favorite eye candy feature and it blows my mind that they would lock it out.

For the rest, I just like options. I tinkered with nova until I got settings that worked for me. I couldn't go back to four columns now. I want to make use of my phone's size.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually like a lot of samsung apps, widgets and features but I also like to be able to set number of columns and rows on a home screen. If touchwiz had the same features as Nova I would love it.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Touchmywiz is ok. Not in love with it nor am I in love with any launcher. But I seem, no matter what launcher I install, end up going back to Touckmywiz. So why not just leave it.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's just a preference really. I don't care for touch wiz and the next guy may. I like the LG skin and the next person may not

Beauty is in the half of the beholder

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

I happen to like the LG skin as well. I got the G2 when I upgraded to the framily plan and gave it to my mom as it is easy to use. The G2 is an awesome phone.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The second reply sums up a lot of people... it simply has become "cool" to hate on TouchWiz. There's nothing overly bad about TouchWiz... I like it and I'm using it on my Note 3 and used to use it on my Galaxy S3.

GMAB.

I'm glad that you like it. Nothing wrong with that.

It has nothing to do with "cool", it has something to do with preferences. I named the reasons why I prefer an alternative.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
GMAB.

I'm glad that you like it. Nothing wrong with that.

It has nothing to do with "cool", it has something to do with preferences. I named the reasons why I prefer an alternative.

Preferences are one thing... out right hating it is different.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Preferences are one thing... out right hating it is different.

Why?

As someone pointed out, hating has a different meaning in this context. I don't hate TW the way I hate intolerance, war, or bad music. I just don't care for it. I'm cool enough to figure that most people understand that I shouldn't have to say that explicitly about a freaking interface. I guess I need to reevaluate that here and spell it out. Especially since I occasionally use TW, which I guess I have to spell out as well.

I just hate dumbing stuff down, I guess.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's another reason why I prefer Go Launcher. When you pull up the app drawer and scroll left, you get this handy screen. The top panel is all of the FAQs for every aspect of the launcher and the rest give you which access to app manager and other things.

PS, I don't hate TW.

3e4epy2a.jpg

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just don't get it. .. I like it. It does not slow down my beautiful note 3

A few things that make me really really really dislike it, and remove it, yes actually uninstall, not just switch to another launcher.

1) Lack of customization. I can't change the size of the toggles (without Xposed), I can't move or hide icons, nor anything else that I like to tweak.

2) Whoever thought "Hey, lets make a water drop noise every time a button is pressed anywhere, and make it the default" should be taken out back and old yeller-ed.

3) Too in your face, and not enough "Hey, use your phone for what you want"

4) Action Launcher seems cleaner, and has Shutters.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
TW does need to go on a diet. The size of the ROM is getting out of hand. Do I like it? No. Do I hate it....no. I agree with an above poster that to have options removed that other launchers easily do seems counterproductive. I run Nova on all my devices, and while there are features I don't care for, I like knowing that they re there. I almost always modify the grid layout first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol