My Note 3 is now on Kitkat 4.4.2!

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Just installed it OTA here in Indonesia, directly from 4.3

Can't wait to see what's new.

(apologies for double thread if there has already been similar thread)

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
OK.. Here's my first impressions:

- not that much I can feel and see at the moment, but I definitely think that the icons are now more "floating", that is, there is a depth between the icons and the wallpaper. This I like so much.
- When I clicked on Knox, it installed immediately, but for some reason it didn't finish installing, maybe my wifi was unstable or something. I am not going to touch knox now for fear of breaking it.
- It seem quite clear that the system is using noticeable less memory than 4.3. Using Clean Master, the normal RAM used is only around 70% (and I have TONS of apps running in the background). Previously with 4.3, the normal RAM used is around 80%. So that is a HUGE plus
- I am using NOVA launcher, and have not noticed any differences in speed flipping pages etc., but i thought the "cube" effect when flipping is more pronounced
- and this what I LOVE the most: Previouosly, when reading FLIPBOARD magazine, I had to wait for more than a few seconds, if at all, if my signal is not HSPA+ before the whole new article is opened, but now even with ordinary 3G, the whole article is opened immediately. GREAT! IT could also possibly that FLIP was already optimized for KitKat (and that means I HOPE ALL appas developers start doing the same)
- I also feel the camera is launched a few miliseconds quicker. Or maybe it's just my feeling
- I love how the BBM is now automatically searching my contacts to see who's already on BBM (blackberry messengers). GREAT!!!
-I have only tried a fraction of my 300+ apps.. so not sure how this works on those apps.
- So far I haven't experienced problems other have reported (freezes or reboot), or maybe this is a 4.4.2 and those problems are reported on device with 4.4?

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I still can't get over how Flipboard now opens whole article almost instantaneously even with unstable connection, after a frustrating few months when Flip developers released updates.
This is the biggest benefits for me so far with 4.4.2 as I love Flip.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
It's certainly a lot smoother I flashed the Poland 4.4.2 and that was my first impressions. Then there is the quick access camera on the lockscreen and a mobile print feature.

I have since then rooted and flashed foxhound rom which has greatly improved my battery not that it was poor to begin with.

Posted via Android Central App

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I was so pleasantly surprised that a popup said if I want to download the 4.4.2 now or scheduled laer. Obviously I downloaded and install it right away.

I think Google has succeded making kit kat light and zippy.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I was so pleasantly surprised that a popup said if I want to download the 4.4.2 now or scheduled laer. Obviously I downloaded and install it right away.

I think Google has succeded making kit kat light and zippy.

Most certainly and with foxhound rom it just glides and the battery life well it's good and it's no placebo it really does extend the battery life very well indeed :)

Posted via Android Central App

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok I have found the first bug:

Whenever I have split window, doesn't matter which app you put on the top, every time you try to type on that app using keyboard, as soon as you hit the first character, the keyboard SUDDENLY DISAPPEAR. THIS IS A MAJOR ANNOYANCE.
so if you open two apps suing split windows, whenever you want to write something on that app text box, you have to make sure it is on the the bottom.

THIS IS A MAJOR BUG methinks.

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
More bug found:

For inexplicable reason, Chrome suddenly cannot be used side by side with another app in split window, even though every other apps can still continue using split window.

I think this Kit Kat 4.4.2 most affected unique features of Note 3 such as split window which is not found in any other android.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
More bug found:

For inexplicable reason, Chrome suddenly cannot be used side by side with another app in split window, even though every other apps can still continue using split window.

I think this Kit Kat 4.4.2 most affected unique features of Note 3 such as split window which is not found in any other android.

Very valid point. I would suggest to keep exploring, write down bugs on a sheet of paper and then give Samsung one more email.

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
After exactly one week after I installed KitKat 4.4.2, here's my review and conclusion:

I WISHED I HAD NOT DONE IT!

Kitkat 4.4.2 may be perfect for mid range phones with limited RAM and processor, but for Note 3, Kitkat is actually limiting the ability of Note 3. It may save few hundreds MB of RAM, but for Note 3, RAM is the least of its problem, if any.

There have been problems apart from what I have described above that I never experienced with Jellybean 4.3:
- Now and then, my Note 3 suddenly has intermittent random lag/pause, which is very annoying
- every couple of days, my phone went into random rebooting
- It now keeps asking me whether I want to keep messaging or SMS Go Pro as my default messaging app, every time I used one or the other.
- After rebooting, some of default app like Swiftkey is no longer the default app, and I have to change the setting again.

So, for those of you who are still on 4.3... my advice is no need to rush to 4.4.2 until Samsung fixes all of these problems..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood