All Note 3 4.4 KitKat owners report in here.

azkimbers

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've really had no major issues with Kit Kat other Swype sometimes freezing up which it didn't do with Jelly Bean. The only thing that bothers me is the restriction with the SD card. My third party apps are unable to use it as freely as they could before, and I miss that. I don't want to root unless I have to though to get that functionality back. On the other hand, I could also try and continue to adjust to it. Thoughts on this from those that use their card often?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Bob James1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy Note 3 now for about 6 or 7 weeks now and having my Sony Xperia E running Android 4. 1 for nearly 8 months the major step up in every single area of it's capabilities I'm delighted.

Once I'd got it connected to my accounts, installed all my suite of apps I've been using for the last few years inc Android Central.lol.

Being an old hat at changing phones the next stage was to go browsing the net for the latest opinion on the Note 3 and one question that kept reoccurring was the upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 which was causing issues for a number of people while others were seeking advice on if it was worth upgrading at all. The answer didn't seem to be clear cut :(

Oh man, so what to do ?? The option was there to upgrade straight away but should I ?? My phone was split new,functioning perfectly so would it be worth it if all I got was restricted functionality from my brand new phone !!!

Decisions,decisions but which way to go ?? Fortunately though I'd been in exactly this thorny predicament 6 months or so previously.I'd bought a brand new 2013 Google Nexus 7 32Gb running 4.3 and within a month maybe the upgrade to 4.4 was released.

The potential benefits came along with the possible issues that many people seem to be experiencing afterwards.

What the hell,it's not like the sun wouldn't rise the next day if it didn't go according to plan so I tapped upgrade and left it in the lap of the gods.....

Well it was a complete success in every way,no camera hang ups, quirky graphics or other OS instabilities,better still battery longevity was a wee bit better if anything which seemed to be the most common complaint with 4.4.

So after unpacking it 45 mins earlier and getting everything set up I went for the Android 4.4 software upgrade !!!!

For the second time I upgaded my Android software and it was a complete success.Or at least I think it was because I'd not exactly given myself much time to get aquainted with 4.3 so truthfully I'm in no position to judge if the phones performance is better,worse or broadly similar to how it'd been but I can report that it is running without a single hitch since the upgrade.

So for anyone who is in a quandary over whether to upgrade or stay with 4.3 my advice would be to go for it. Afterall,it's the nature of things that it is always going to be the ones who have developed a problem with the upgrade and are seeking advice that will be posting online rather than the ones who have no problems whatsoever and much less incentive to mention it. That' s why it seems like a problem experienced by a handful of users appears much greater than than it actually is.

What I want. to. know is there any news of 4.5 arriving anytime soin

Posted via Android Central App

Bob James1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Great no issues here in United Kingdom just better more battery more faster

Ulimate Note 3

Haha is that true ??? I bought my Note 3 and upgraded it 45 mins after getting it out of the box so I couldn't possibly state authoritively if its faster or better than it was beforehand but I upgraded my Google Nexus 7 to 4.4 as soon as it. was released and found it wad smoother, more. reliable and the battery life had improved too :)

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I did the update this morning. A few things I have noticed changed.

So far though I am having some serious GPS issues though. I can not get a lock at all. Endomondo can't, Google maps won't find my current location. This could be a huge problem! I use Endomondo every day!

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Also, is there anyway to turn off the damn album art from the lock screen. I find looking at that big music symbol as a back ground kind of ugly...

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Also, is there anyway to turn off the damn album art from the lock screen. I find looking at that big music symbol as a back ground kind of ugly...

I think your only options when playing music on stock Kit Kat are to use a third party music player that doesn't send album art or to use a lock screen app that can disable it.

Also, my GPS works great - way better than on any phone I've ever had - quick lock even indoors. But my phone came with Kit Kat - didn't have to upgrade. So maybe clearing cache from recovery mode, or even a factory reset if necessary.... I have a T-mobile version and don't know if that makes a difference.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Just FYI: if you want to remove or add a lock screen you need have screen lock to swipe. I don't have a music page widget option on mine, but have seen others' screenshots.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Bah... Disappointing news for both problems. I was really trying to avoid doing a factory reset. All though with all the problems people were having, it seems to be un-avoidable.

And i use Skiplock, which means I can only have a PIN lock or password lock screen. Disappointed on that end as well.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI: if you want to remove or add a lock screen you need have screen lock to swipe. I don't have a music page widget option on mine, but have seen others' screenshots.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

It's not an option. It happens automatically if you are using google play music, the stock music player, or another app that has the feature integrated (some Chromecast video apps do too) and you keep the music playing when you lock the screen. I have a pin set with nothing but the clock widget and it shows album art in place of my wallpaper when using Google Play Music.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It's not an option. It happens automatically if you are using google play music or another app that has the feature integrated (some Chromecast video apps do too) and you keep the music playing when you lock the screen. I have a pin set with nothing but the clock widget and it shows album art in place of my wallpaper when using Google Play Music.
You're right. That's where I saw it. Shows how much I play music. Don't tell the music thread. Only with music/video apps open though.

(ON EDIT : the rest deleted - my error)

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 sim free UK model is running fast and great problem free on KK. But the battery is worse this is dumb Google fault not Samsung.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am one week into the update now. While I have noticed that the OS is a bit more snappy, that has been the only upside to the update.
My battery has taken a huge dive! I used to get anywhere between 5-6 hours of screen time before I had to charge. I am lucky if I get 4 hours of screen time now. And that's with letting it get down to 1-2 percent. I have noticed that Android System is now taking up the second most of my battery. This never existed before the update. I only had Android OS show up. Now both do.
sa8y9yze.jpg

dasarejy.jpg

My GPS has also been absolute sh!t as well. It now takes anywhere between 30- 60 seconds to get a lock.

I figure I will give it one more week before I do a reset. I will see if there is anything else I can tinker with. If I am still having this problem with battery life then I will do a reset.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to update to KitKat, not sure I'm going to. My Note3 is running GREAT on JellyBean and I really don't want to mess with a new update that causes more problems than its worth. I thought updates were supposed to improve the performance of a device, not give problems.

kami8586

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I have yet to update to KitKat, not sure I'm going to. My Note3 is running GREAT on JellyBean and I really don't want to mess with a new update that causes more problems than its worth. I thought updates were supposed to improve the performance of a device, not give problems.

It doesn't cause any problems

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't cause any problems

^^^That's an under statement. ^^^

Spence, don't do what I did! Don't update. 4.3 was a great build on the Note 3. Flawless. You would be disappointed with KitKat. The only reason I did it was I thought that free up the accessible ram to 2.71 was going to be worth while. Absolutely not. Doesn't make a difference!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Harshuvinod

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Everything seems fine.before the update the battery charges fast but now it takes a bit long.
Nothing great about the upgrade.few display change only.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any problems on my end.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You are a lucky one. What carrier build are you on?

I am on the Rogers build. I think they messed it up good. Likewise on my wifes S4. I wish Samsung could just push out OTA updates from them directly and the carriers couldn't get their dirty hands on them!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk