02-27-2015 11:36 PM
249 ... 8910
tools
    [...] For anything else, you can navigate to the app specific folder on your SD card and read it just fine.
    TenshiNo, I have some further questions regarding your several postings:

- How is an "app-specific folder" identified by the OS? By its name/path or by its access rights?
    - You talked about access rights of folders for specific apps together with the inability of FAT32 to handle such access rights - is that the problem? Would an ext3/4-formatted SDcard solve these problems?
    - If I want to complain about an app that cannot write to an SDcard any more, what shall I tell the programmers? Use API "foobar" to access the SDcard? Or "create a folder at path /this/is/my/specific/path and use this folder for your program data"?

Is there anywhere a README for programmers/developers how to handle that new situation for SD cards?
    10-01-2014 06:05 AM
    Sorry for the double posting. - kestrel401

[...] For anything else, you can navigate to the app specific folder on your SD card and read it just fine.
    TenshiNo, I have some further questions regarding your several postings:

- How is an "app-specific folder" identified by the OS? By its name/path or by its access rights?
    - You talked about access rights of folders for specific apps together with the inability of FAT32 to handle such access rights - is that the problem? Would an ext3/4-formatted SDcard solve these problems?
    - If I want to complain about an app that cannot write to an SDcard any more, what shall I tell the programmers? Use API "foobar" to access the SDcard? Or "create a folder at path /this/is/my/specific/path and use this folder for your program data"?

Is there anywhere a README for programmers/developers how to handle that new situation for SD cards?
    10-01-2014 06:08 AM
    Hooking to a PC wouldn't help with file management apps that need to run on the phone like syncing apps. One solution would be for Google to provide some mechanism were 3rd party apps could be certified to run as system routines with full access to the ext card.
    If they added some permission "Full Access to SD Card" that apps could ask for, pretty soon all apps would require this permission and we'd be right back where we started.

I believe the answer is designated sandbox folders. If there were folders "SD_Videos", "SD_Music", "SD_Documents", etc. and all apps with "external storage" permission had free-for-all permission to write to those folders, it would solve the problem.
    10-01-2014 07:01 AM
    If they added some permission "Full Access to SD Card" that apps could ask for, pretty soon all apps would require this permission and we'd be right back where we started.
    I meant where they had to submit the app to Google to approve. Only legit apps would do that.
    10-01-2014 08:21 AM
    Your phone will only allow write access to the application that created the folder. That's how it knows. When you install the application it creates it's own folder
    Hope I understood that part of your question correctly.

Question? Could an application create multiple folders and have write access to all of them?
    I know Gallery would not 'see' photos in folders created by another app after the OS update.

At any rate after a simple root (towelroot) and running the 'fix' program (PLAY STORE) I don't have any further problems.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-03-2014 09:29 AM
    Your phone will only allow write access to the application that created the folder. That's how it knows. When you install the application it creates it's own folder
    Yes, but this is not how SD card enthusiasts WANT it to work.

Question? Could an application create multiple folders and have write access to all of them?
    It still wouldn't give other apps write privileges to those folders.

I know Gallery would not 'see' photos in folders created by another app after the OS update.
    Exactly.
    At any rate after a simple root (towelroot) and running the 'fix' program (PLAY STORE) I don't have any further problems.
    I got away from iOS so I wouldn't have to root my phone for basic functionality.
    10-03-2014 10:02 AM
    Are you (anyone) sure? From the spec alone it looks like the root folder HAS to be com.appid (com.company.app).
    10-03-2014 10:40 AM
    Are you (anyone) sure? From the spec alone it looks like the root folder HAS to be com.appid (com.company.app).
    I think Android creates the folder for the app.
    10-03-2014 11:36 AM
    @Feldon
    I couldn't agree more with all your points.
    I am curious about why the same restrictions don't apply to the phones main memory....
    It's a personal problem of mine. I suspect ulterior motives behind every bush. Apologies...

10-04-2014 02:53 AM
    @Feldon
    I couldn't agree more with all your points.
    I am curious about why the same restrictions don't apply to the phones main memory....
    The phone's internal storage is formatted extfs, a Linux file system with detailed permissions. SD cards are formatted FAT32 which has no permissions system.
    Formerly Known As likes this.
    10-04-2014 09:29 AM
    The phone's internal storage is formatted extfs, a Linux file system with detailed permissions. SD cards are formatted FAT32 which has no permissions system.
    Good to have someone who really knows what they are talking about.

I guess there was nothing behind this 'Bush' but remember : 'even paranoids have enemies'!

10-04-2014 11:44 AM
    The main issue I am having is if I put music on my SD card. The internal app will not play it and after a day or so the files just start disappearing. I have tried Samsung, Adata, Sandisk, and a generic SD card and it does the same to all of them. It takes my over 3 hours to move all my music and in a couple of days over half of the music is missing or unusable.
    11-05-2014 01:23 AM
    The app-specific folder is created by Android when the app first tries to write something to the SD card. The folder name will match the package's namespace: com.google.android.clock

All the info about this sort of thing can be found at Google's official Android developers reference: Android Developers

And the comment about the gallery app not being able to see media in other folders is completely wrong. This change has *never* affected read permissions in any way. If the gallery app isn't loading media out of a particular folder on your SD card, it's because there's a file called ".nomedia" in that folder. The existence of this file tells the MediaServer (which is the process responsible for cataloging all the music/photos/videos/etc on the device) nit to scan for files in that folder. You won't see the file using an Android-based file browser unless you're rooted (the "." at the beginning of a file is how Linux designates hidden files) but you can see it if you pull your SD card and use a card reader to read it on a pc.

It's true that using extfs on the SD card would potentially fix all these problems, but it would probably create more in the process. Luckily, it looks like this is all a mute point anyway, since Google got it sorted in lollipop.
    11-05-2014 07:40 AM
    The main issue I am having is if I put music on my SD card. The internal app will not play it and after a day or so the files just start disappearing. I have tried Samsung, Adata, Sandisk, and a generic SD card and it does the same to all of them. It takes my over 3 hours to move all my music and in a couple of days over half of the music is missing or unusable.
    I use a scandisc sd card and it finds all my music and it doesn't disappear. However I use power amp app because built in music player will not find anything on my sd card. If I download music directly to phone, I copy it to sd card with es file explorer, make sure it shows up in power amp and then I can delete it in internal storage so my phone storage doesn't get full. I do this in batches and it takes literally a few minutes...well worth the time to me. The key here is a music player from the playstore as built in will not access my files on sd and a good file explorer app. Give power amp a try and see if it works. I if music files are just disappearing you may have acorrupt sd card and it may need to be replaced.
    11-05-2014 09:06 AM
    I have tried Samsung, Sandisk, Adata, and Generic 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB Class 10 SD cards and all do the same. I have tried 11 different SD cards. 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB included. Had my phone replaced twice. I still have the same thing happen on my Note 3 on NF6 and NF9.
    11-06-2014 09:22 PM
    RE comments about built-in gallery app and others not seeing music on ext sdcards. Besides the .nomedia "ignore this folder" reason above, the built-in apps use a media index file that Android doesn't always update automatically. There are several apps on play store that rebuilds the index on demand. I use Rescan SD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rullu.rescansd

You might try one of those and see if it makes gallery see the files. Haven't got a clue about the disappearing files problem though.
    11-07-2014 07:42 AM
    es file file explorer would not write to the external SD card on Samsung galaxy s5 so this at least for my phone is a non-starter.
    12-19-2014 02:31 PM
    This issue belongs to Google, they prevent third party app to write on sdcard for security. I still can use My file app to manage files, but ES Explorer can't
    It's terrible. There is no option to disable this rule, damn Google, it's my phone.
    skyrail likes this.
    12-28-2014 10:43 PM
    Thank you for asking the question. Now I know what is exactly the problem, when camera fv-5 fails saving my shot to a custom folder on my SD card.
    I even tried other camera app with the same issue.
    What is weird too, is the ability of my files explorer to delete or rename a folder, but ES explorer refuse it.
    For my camera app, I fixed it by plugging an sd card reader on the usb port. It means third-part apps are able to write to usb external device.

Using my phone as a USB mass storage would be much more simple and compatible with windows and linux, than MTP or PTP.

For all theses reasons, i'd be tempted to root my fresh galaxy S5, and not wait for Lollipop Android 5.
    01-11-2015 07:47 PM
    Dear Google Dev Team,

Google should Remember why ppl choosen open source and Not iOS, i believe we have the Rights for our files management, we should have the Rights to Choose external micro SD or internal storage.
    What are the usage we spent money to buy 64gb external micro SD?
    Not enough room for us at internal memory, i am should we have the Rights to choose to where we want
    to keeps our files NOT Google choosen for us!!!

Android Zenfone 6 Kitkat 4.4.2 user.
    01-26-2015 10:34 AM
    after updating my canvas 4 it is also not working for external sd card. any way to solve this or go back to previous version?
    01-29-2015 11:49 PM
    I found a few articles that say that devices using secondary external SD Cards such as the Note 3 and the S4 will no longer be able to write to the external micro SD card after the kitkat update. Has anyone experienced this first hand??

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Yes been having issues with my SD card crappie ever since are they going to fix this soon I hope
    01-30-2015 01:44 AM
    I tried to run Next SDfix and got this Error on my Samsung Note 3.

Modifications could not be performed, failed to obtain root access. This modification can only be completed if you have root/superuser access to this device.

How?

Thanks,

Freddie
    02-18-2015 07:06 PM
    I agree to a degree. But how can progress for security be implemented without some sort of recourse? It's Googles progress moving forward and I'm sure they announced this to ALL developers before implementing this "feature" in 4.4.2. If they didn't update their app, it's not Google's fault, it's the developers.

BTW, you don't have to upgrade. Let it download and don't install. The only real drawback is that you can't get any new updates until you do. So their NOT forcing you....merely giving you a nudge.
    02-27-2015 11:36 PM
249 ... 8910