02-27-2015 11:36 PM
249 1234 ...
tools
    Just for the hell if it I went into settings application manager,, picked a app (Pandora) and moved it to sd card and it moved to sd card. Am I missing something?

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    msndrstood likes this.
    03-01-2014 09:49 AM
    Thats what Apple fans said when I switched to Android on another forum =-) There is always options
    Like what - Blackberry? You've already been through IOS and Android, neither one being good enough for you. Maybe you should develop your own OS!
    03-01-2014 10:50 AM
    It's not as bad as you all think. All that needs to happen is for developers to update their apps.

Whilst it adds a bit of inconvenience it is securer and it means if you delete an app with data on the sd card the sd card has it's own folder that gets deleted as well. Remember to move or copy edited photos !

I'm not happy myself but there is no choice.
    Wish it was that simple, this is coded into the OS with write permissions. Its going take a hack on the OS, void warranty time. Not an option for many users.
    03-01-2014 02:16 PM
    Like what - Blackberry? You've already been through IOS and Android, neither one being good enough for you. Maybe you should develop your own OS!
    I dont get your hostility. There is 2 new OS launching this year for mobile devices and one is already out just not in North America. When companies start telling or forcing me on how I manage my files is when I dump them. At that point they become useless to me and as a customer I will voice that if I can before I make the jump, so here I am with a hope others make a loud enough stink Google rethinks this move. IMO they are forgetting why many people dropped Apple for Android. As 3rd party apps get less and less love it feels more and more like an Apple world. Google is making people use stock Google apps to get full functionality from their devices. This is off the backs of who helped make Android a success in the first place. These 3rd party apps where here to make Android worth using when there was no Google apps to do the job. Thats a low blow to peoples lively hoods. Shame on Google.
    Dave3989 likes this.
    03-01-2014 02:25 PM
    When someone whines and complains about every OS out there and moves from one to the next...it's usually a case of PEBKAC. This isn't me being hostile; it's just a response to your rants.
    03-01-2014 03:05 PM
    When someone whines and complains about every OS out there and moves from one to the next...it's usually a case of PEBKAC. This isn't me being hostile; it's just a response to your rants.
    Love tough guys on the internet, only one ranting here is the compensation between your attitude on the internet and your RL build. Good day to you. I will give feedback too Google in any ways I can till they fix it or I get fed up on being told how I can manage my files then I will seek other options. If you dont get how commerce works and the right a customer has to voice what makes a product worth buying, I have no time for schooling you. Last post in reply to you till you drop the attitude.
    03-02-2014 09:45 AM
    I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight...
    Kettle likes this.
    03-02-2014 08:37 PM
    Can I ask a simple question without getting dragged in to this petty row?

I switched from IOS to Android because I wanted to use my phone as a music player and all my music is in Flac format. I'm currently on 4.3 (jellybean). To get the music onto my SD card I use Android File Transfer on my Mac and just drag 'n' drop the music to the card. Job done.

Will updating to 4.4 (kitkat) prevent me from doing this?

Sent from my SM-N9005
    Wilbur likes this.
    03-04-2014 12:44 PM
    While I don't have Kitkat yet on my phone my research on this particular subject suggests the following: KitKat does in fact allow apps to use an external SD card to save, store, access, and work with files. The difference under KitKat is that apps are limited to only access, etc. files that app has created or is associated with. Thus,moving files as you suggest is possible. However, I would suggest you do it before you install KitKat and associate them with a music player app. Then when you install KitKat it should recognize the association between the files and the music player app and maintain said association. Again, from research only, it seems that the restriction of separate folders on the external SD card for each app accessing files therefrom is a form of security preventing programs with no reason to access data from another app from doing so.
    Again, the above is from research of articles on this question from writers who seemed to understand the feature and not just whine about change. I am sure there are much more knowledgeable folks here and on the XDA forums, for example, that can correct any errors in my post as well as provide a more complete response.
    TenshiNo and Solrighal like this.
    03-04-2014 11:49 PM
    That's what I was hoping, thanks. At present I have say 3 folders on my card. One called Card Music. My audio players are set to only read this folder. Another called Card Video. For this I have MX Player set to only look in this folder and so on and so on. This should still work with kitkat right?

Sent from my SM-N9005
    03-05-2014 03:04 AM
    That's what I was hoping, thanks. At present I have say 3 folders on my card. One called Card Music. My audio players are set to only read this folder. Another called Card Video. For this I have MX Player set to only look in this folder and so on and so on. This should still work with kitkat right?

Sent from my SM-N9005
    The easy way is to drop the music in a fold the app uses so they have full right to do what ever the app needs to the file. Like if you plan to mod the file by changing its tag. After the update you will not be able to drag the files from your SD card to the phone. You will need to take them off using your computer then moving them from the computer to the desired directory on your phone.
    03-05-2014 07:59 AM
    That's OK, that's how I always handle the files anyway. I set them up on the Mac how I like and then just drag them to the SD card. I'm not one for playlists really, I tend to listen to albums right through.

Sent from my SM-N9005
    03-05-2014 08:15 AM
    This a royal pain. Luckily pocketcasts seems to have a work around and will make a permanent fix in an update which is good because thats a majority of what I save on the sd. But is there a way now if I want to save a pic or something to get it on the sd card?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
    03-07-2014 10:34 AM
    My new Tmobile Note 3 is able to save pics to SD card and im able to move pictures around with default file manager with Kitkat *shrug*
    03-07-2014 06:51 PM
    Just received the OTA update from tmobile for my Galaxy Note 3 and it definitely breaks many apps. This issue is affecting MANY of the paid apps that I use that make use of the external storage, including doubletwist among others.

Time to call the carriers to complain that this is a major issue that needs to be reverted back to previous behavior.

I submitted a "story" to Slashdot.org hoping to get some more exposure to the issue. Please vote up the item so that it can hopefully make it to the Slashdot "front page". Google/Samsung changes to SD card behaviour in KitKat (4.4.2) breaks apps. - Slashdot
    urutorah and boudicca00 like this.
    03-09-2014 10:52 PM
    Without rooting the phone only the builtin/system/google/OEM/carrier music player and file manager have the correct permissions to modify the external SD card on KitKat at least on the Galaxy note 3 from tmobile.

All third party applications like file managers and music players are no longer able to modify any of the files In the root of the SD card (examples like the /Music and /Photos folders)... As of now "upgrading" to 4.4.2 will break many apps that rely on the external SD card for storage. This makes my 64 gb external sd card useless as well as all the paid apps that are now losing a MAJOR functionality feature on a device that I have in good faith paid for....

If you are affected, call your provider and lodge a complaint... They have the means and clout to ask google/Samsung to make the change or even implement it themselves in a future firmware update... that will hopefully be released soon if they get enough general public outcry...
    boudicca00 likes this.
    03-09-2014 11:00 PM
    Can I ask a simple question without getting dragged in to this petty row?

I switched from IOS to Android because I wanted to use my phone as a music player and all my music is in Flac format. I'm currently on 4.3 (jellybean). To get the music onto my SD card I use Android File Transfer on my Mac and just drag 'n' drop the music to the card. Job done.

Will updating to 4.4 (kitkat) prevent me from doing this?

Sent from my SM-N9005
    Without rooting the phone only the builtin/system/google/OEM/carrier music player and file manager have the correct permissions to modify the external SD card on KitKat (at least on the Galaxy note 3 from tmobile). All third party applications are no longer able to modify files In the root of the SD card (example /Music and /Photos)... So... yes... as of now "upgrading" to 4.4.2 will prevent you from using android file transfer or other media management software.....

Also, the third party apps can only write to their OWN folders on the SD card. Once the application is uninstalled, THAT FOLDER WILL ALSO BE DELETED.... so it is not a good place for music files/pictures that should be usable by multiple apps.
    boudicca00 and Wilbur like this.
    03-09-2014 11:06 PM
    To hell with being safer... I bought a 32 gig SD card which is useless now.. Smh. I'm gonna have to root my device now.
    03-11-2014 10:51 AM
    No clue what your guys issues are but the stock camera app sees my SD card and writes to it just fine and I moved picture and movies around on my SD card last night with no issues.
    03-11-2014 10:52 AM
    No clue what your guys issues are but the stock camera app sees my SD card and writes to it just fine and I moved picture and movies around on my SD card last night with no issues.
    Same here, no issues whatsoever with a 64gb sd card on my Note 3 with KK. You try to move apps to the sd card, that is a different story. Or if you had some part of apps on the sd card with the old OS, that might cause a problem. But, we peeps that use the sd card for pics, movies and music, there is no issue whatsoever...
    msndrstood likes this.
    03-11-2014 12:53 PM
    Same here, no issues whatsoever with a 64gb sd card on my Note 3 with KK. You try to move apps to the sd card, that is a different story. Or if you had some part of apps on the sd card with the old OS, that might cause a problem. But, we peeps that use the sd card for pics, movies and music, there is no issue whatsoever...
    I have a lot of play store apps with my settings saved BY those apps on 4.3 Jelly Bean to the external SD card. When I updated to KitKat and reloaded those apps, NONE of them could read or restore those settings.
    03-11-2014 04:10 PM
    I won't have to update for a while, will I, now that KK has arrived here?

I need my phone to function properly for a new temporary job.

I know a lot of issues can be exaggerated. Still.
    I don't need better battery life, even smoother running, a lock screen camera icon and a white notification panel (my one's fine as it is).
    I also don't need my phone to shut down repeatedly or be unresponsive when I need it most.

4.1.2 was exciting after ICS, but I'm happy with 4.3.

Eventually I guess Samsung/Kies, Google and more and more apps will pester me to update. But I will try to stick for a while, the temptation just isn't there.

@Solrighal, I saw you sold out on another thread!
    I was counting on you to hold out over here in the UK. You made some sensible comments earlier.

Ah well! Let them come and get me!
    03-11-2014 08:18 PM
    Hey guys .... how about the stock Samsung Music App? Since the KitKat update I can no longer move music to my SD card. DoubleTwist broke with the KitKat update, which is maddening since I paid for it, but not even the default music app can use the SD card? Anybody else have this problem?
    03-11-2014 10:31 PM
    Solved my own problem. WiFi Syncing to SD card is blocked. USB syncing still works. So I guess for now I have to plug in my phone to copy music over.
    03-12-2014 05:58 PM
    Will doing a factory reset bring me back before the kitkat update?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
    03-12-2014 06:40 PM
249 1234 ...