Note 3: KitKat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

TeddyR42

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Without rooting the phone only the builtin/system/google/OEM/carrier music player and file manager have the correct permissions to modify the external SD card on KitKat at least on the Galaxy note 3 from tmobile.

All third party applications like file managers and music players are no longer able to modify any of the files In the root of the SD card (examples like the /Music and /Photos folders)... As of now "upgrading" to 4.4.2 will break many apps that rely on the external SD card for storage. This makes my 64 gb external sd card useless as well as all the paid apps that are now losing a MAJOR functionality feature on a device that I have in good faith paid for....

If you are affected, call your provider and lodge a complaint... They have the means and clout to ask google/Samsung to make the change or even implement it themselves in a future firmware update... that will hopefully be released soon if they get enough general public outcry...

Last edited:

TeddyR42

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Can I ask a simple question without getting dragged in to this petty row?

I switched from IOS to Android because I wanted to use my phone as a music player and all my music is in Flac format. I'm currently on 4.3 (jellybean). To get the music onto my SD card I use Android File Transfer on my Mac and just drag 'n' drop the music to the card. Job done.

Will updating to 4.4 (kitkat) prevent me from doing this?

Sent from my SM-N9005

Without rooting the phone only the builtin/system/google/OEM/carrier music player and file manager have the correct permissions to modify the external SD card on KitKat (at least on the Galaxy note 3 from tmobile). All third party applications are no longer able to modify files In the root of the SD card (example /Music and /Photos)... So... yes... as of now "upgrading" to 4.4.2 will prevent you from using android file transfer or other media management software.....

Also, the third party apps can only write to their OWN folders on the SD card. Once the application is uninstalled, THAT FOLDER WILL ALSO BE DELETED.... so it is not a good place for music files/pictures that should be usable by multiple apps.

Last edited:

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
No clue what your guys issues are but the stock camera app sees my SD card and writes to it just fine and I moved picture and movies around on my SD card last night with no issues.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
No clue what your guys issues are but the stock camera app sees my SD card and writes to it just fine and I moved picture and movies around on my SD card last night with no issues.

Same here, no issues whatsoever with a 64gb sd card on my Note 3 with KK. You try to move apps to the sd card, that is a different story. Or if you had some part of apps on the sd card with the old OS, that might cause a problem. But, we peeps that use the sd card for pics, movies and music, there is no issue whatsoever...

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Same here, no issues whatsoever with a 64gb sd card on my Note 3 with KK. You try to move apps to the sd card, that is a different story. Or if you had some part of apps on the sd card with the old OS, that might cause a problem. But, we peeps that use the sd card for pics, movies and music, there is no issue whatsoever...

I have a lot of play store apps with my settings saved BY those apps on 4.3 Jelly Bean to the external SD card. When I updated to KitKat and reloaded those apps, NONE of them could read or restore those settings.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I won't have to update for a while, will I, now that KK has arrived here?

I need my phone to function properly for a new temporary job.

I know a lot of issues can be exaggerated. Still.
I don't need better battery life, even smoother running, a lock screen camera icon and a white notification panel (my one's fine as it is).
I also don't need my phone to shut down repeatedly or be unresponsive when I need it most.

4.1.2 was exciting after ICS, but I'm happy with 4.3.

Eventually I guess Samsung/Kies, Google and more and more apps will pester me to update. But I will try to stick for a while, the temptation just isn't there.

@Solrighal, I saw you sold out on another thread! :)
I was counting on you to hold out over here in the UK. You made some sensible comments earlier.

Ah well! Let them come and get me!

pptarr

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys .... how about the stock Samsung Music App? Since the KitKat update I can no longer move music to my SD card. DoubleTwist broke with the KitKat update, which is maddening since I paid for it, but not even the default music app can use the SD card? Anybody else have this problem?

pptarr

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Solved my own problem. WiFi Syncing to SD card is blocked. USB syncing still works. So I guess for now I have to plug in my phone to copy music over.

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Will just rooting alone fix the saving to the sd card or is there another step once you root?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a lot of play store apps with my settings saved BY those apps on 4.3 Jelly Bean to the external SD card. When I updated to KitKat and reloaded those apps, NONE of them could read or restore those settings.

It seems we talking about different scenarios here. Never went for thing and/or talk of putting apps on the sd card. That was never a sure thing. When I speak of the sd card and the Note 3, I am specifially talking about videos, music and pictures.. Even before KK, apps on sd cards was shaky at best... Back to the regular topic. The title should read, with KK, problem putting apps on sd card.

The title is grossly wrong.

From what I understand, way back with gingerbread, you could put apps on the sd card. After gingerbread, all that stopped. The majority of use the sd card for media files, not apps..

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any apps installed on the SD card. I'm talking about legitimate play store apps that save their data/settings on the external card. Some examples in my case are saved cities in my weather app, files saved with the non-root "App Backup & Restore", data and settings with the "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) app, etc.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I guess the real question is, is Kit Kat worth the hassle???

Hell to the (inappropriate language removed by Moderator) no.

- - - Updated - - -

Will just rooting alone fix the saving to the sd card or is there another step once you root?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Samsungs Knox will inform your carrier that you have "voided" your warranty by rooting if your on Kit Kat

Last edited by a moderator:

BallisticNylon

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, yes.
:-\
It literally pi--es me off! Basically Google doesn't want you to use SD;
Basically all apps on KitKat - unlesss from Google or OEM - are prohibited from writing on External SD except onto one designated directory (i.e., "/Android/com.apppackage.name").
NO THIRD-PARTY APPS are allowed to write anywhere else on external SD.

so kiss good bye to your FileManagers, FTP Demons, and/or other Music downloaders - when it comes to External SD;
we're now all stuck with Built-in file managers.

They just want you to *ALL* use Google Drive or other cloud instead... and in the mean time watch more ad from Google.
Suddenly, the only way to save files onto 64GB micro SD is by plugging in;
NO MORE DOWNLOAD, FTP, Torrent on External SD.

I'm SO MAD at Google! "So you say 'don't be EVIL'?" I'd say, "Up Yours!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
They are removing the phone we chose to buy originally. I haven't updated yet, but am very happy with 4.3. I have only just learned most of it.

What other item you decide to purchase can the manufacturer come to your home and change it completely with no redress?

Only reason I may update when it comes is it apparently cures the wifi issue.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It seems we talking about different scenarios here. Never went for thing and/or talk of putting apps on the sd card. That was never a sure thing. When I speak of the sd card and the Note 3, I am specifially talking about videos, music and pictures.. Even before KK, apps on sd cards was shaky at best... Back to the regular topic. The title should read, with KK, problem putting apps on sd card.

The title is grossly wrong.

From what I understand, way back with gingerbread, you could put apps on the sd card. After gingerbread, all that stopped. The majority of use the sd card for media files, not apps..

I wasn't asking about putting apps on the sd card. The articles I found stated that kitkat disabled external sd cards period...pics, videos, music. I could care less about apps. Why is my title grossly wrong?? It states EXACTLY what I'm asking. Does KiKat disable the use of the external sd card?? Last time I checked MOST people use these for pics, videos, music etc.... http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/0...ote-3-android-4-4-problem-hits-micro-sd-card/

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty much saying any files such as pics, music, videos, etc you download or take using any "app" cannot be stored on the sd card. So if I take a picture using Ultimate360 or edit a picture in Adobe for instance, I will no longer be able to save it to my sd card!!! Make sense???

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk