02-27-2015 11:36 PM
249 12345 ...
tools
    Will doing a factory reset bring me back before the kitkat update?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
    Apparently there is no way back.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app
    03-12-2014 08:21 PM
    Will just rooting alone fix the saving to the sd card or is there another step once you root?

03-13-2014 08:29 AM
    I have a lot of play store apps with my settings saved BY those apps on 4.3 Jelly Bean to the external SD card. When I updated to KitKat and reloaded those apps, NONE of them could read or restore those settings.
    It seems we talking about different scenarios here. Never went for thing and/or talk of putting apps on the sd card. That was never a sure thing. When I speak of the sd card and the Note 3, I am specifially talking about videos, music and pictures.. Even before KK, apps on sd cards was shaky at best... Back to the regular topic. The title should read, with KK, problem putting apps on sd card.

The title is grossly wrong.

From what I understand, way back with gingerbread, you could put apps on the sd card. After gingerbread, all that stopped. The majority of use the sd card for media files, not apps..
    03-13-2014 12:55 PM
    I don't have any apps installed on the SD card. I'm talking about legitimate play store apps that save their data/settings on the external card. Some examples in my case are saved cities in my weather app, files saved with the non-root "App Backup & Restore", data and settings with the "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) app, etc.
    03-13-2014 01:13 PM
    I guess the real question is, is Kit Kat worth the hassle???
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-13-2014 11:45 PM
    Hell to the (inappropriate language removed by Moderator) no.

- - - Updated - - -

Will just rooting alone fix the saving to the sd card or is there another step once you root?

Samsungs Knox will inform your carrier that you have "voided" your warranty by rooting if your on Kit Kat
    03-14-2014 01:00 PM
    Unfortunately, yes.

It literally pi--es me off! Basically Google doesn't want you to use SD;
    Basically all apps on KitKat - unlesss from Google or OEM - are prohibited from writing on External SD except onto one designated directory (i.e., "/Android/com.apppackage.name").
    NO THIRD-PARTY APPS are allowed to write anywhere else on external SD.

so kiss good bye to your FileManagers, FTP Demons, and/or other Music downloaders - when it comes to External SD;
    we're now all stuck with Built-in file managers.

They just want you to *ALL* use Google Drive or other cloud instead... and in the mean time watch more ad from Google.
    Suddenly, the only way to save files onto 64GB micro SD is by plugging in;
    NO MORE DOWNLOAD, FTP, Torrent on External SD.

I'm SO MAD at Google! "So you say 'don't be EVIL'?" I'd say, "Up Yours!"
    boudicca00 and souleem like this.
    03-14-2014 05:42 PM
    They are removing the phone we chose to buy originally. I haven't updated yet, but am very happy with 4.3. I have only just learned most of it.

What other item you decide to purchase can the manufacturer come to your home and change it completely with no redress?

Only reason I may update when it comes is it apparently cures the wifi issue.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app
    boudicca00 likes this.
    03-14-2014 08:36 PM
    It seems we talking about different scenarios here. Never went for thing and/or talk of putting apps on the sd card. That was never a sure thing. When I speak of the sd card and the Note 3, I am specifially talking about videos, music and pictures.. Even before KK, apps on sd cards was shaky at best... Back to the regular topic. The title should read, with KK, problem putting apps on sd card.

The title is grossly wrong.

From what I understand, way back with gingerbread, you could put apps on the sd card. After gingerbread, all that stopped. The majority of use the sd card for media files, not apps..
    I wasn't asking about putting apps on the sd card. The articles I found stated that kitkat disabled external sd cards period...pics, videos, music. I could care less about apps. Why is my title grossly wrong?? It states EXACTLY what I'm asking. Does KiKat disable the use of the external sd card?? Last time I checked MOST people use these for pics, videos, music etc.... http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/02...micro-sd-card/

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    boudicca00 likes this.
    03-14-2014 09:16 PM
    It's pretty much saying any files such as pics, music, videos, etc you download or take using any "app" cannot be stored on the sd card. So if I take a picture using Ultimate360 or edit a picture in Adobe for instance, I will no longer be able to save it to my sd card!!! Make sense???

03-14-2014 09:23 PM

Once you've rooted your device, re-enabling access to the SD Card is very simple. Check out this XDA page with the instructions. You just have to add some text to a config file.

[Fix][N9005][ExtSdCard Write Issue][Kitkat 4.4.2][NA6] - Rooted - xda-developers

Let me know if you need any additional help.
    boudicca00 likes this.
    03-18-2014 04:36 PM
    It's pretty much saying any files such as pics, music, videos, etc you download or take using any "app" cannot be stored on the sd card. So if I take a picture using Ultimate360 or edit a picture in Adobe for instance, I will no longer be able to save it to my sd card!!! Make sense???

This is technically incorrect. It *will* still be able to save those photos to the SDCard, but it will have to save them in a pre-defined folder. I suspect that many apps are currently not written to save their data into their allowed folder and will have to be updated, but this change doesn't prevent saving to the SDCard entirely. It merely limits *where* apps are allowed to save data.
    03-19-2014 01:28 PM
    I updated on day one and had so many issues with kitkat that I had T-Mobile send me a replacement. I could read from SD but couldn't save anything to it unless it was by a system app. I could transfer pictures and save picture to SD through camera and Gallery but nothing third party. Had terrible battery life and charged a lot slower. I'd avoid the update just incase until they fix these issues. T-Mobile rep told me that I was one of many receiving replacements because of kitkat

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    03-19-2014 02:14 PM
    I use Tasker heavily, has anyone noticed the upgrades effects on Tasker? Sounds like this could cause problems. Just another reason to deny this upgrade I guess...
    03-19-2014 08:47 PM
    This is technically incorrect. It *will* still be able to save those photos to the SDCard, but it will have to save them in a pre-defined folder. I suspect that many apps are currently not written to save their data into their allowed folder and will have to be updated, but this change doesn't prevent saving to the SDCard entirely. It merely limits *where* apps are allowed to save data.
    Sorry if I'm being a pain, but does this mean I'll have to create a "predefined folder" from my pc on the sd card first so that they can save to my sd card? I use my sd card ALOT for storage of photos, music, videos, files and such. If I have to keep using my pc to create and transfer files to the sd card then I'll hold onto JB at this point.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    03-19-2014 09:24 PM
    I updated on day one and had so many issues with kitkat that I had T-Mobile send me a replacement. I could read from SD but couldn't save anything to it unless it was by a system app. I could transfer pictures and save picture to SD through camera and Gallery but nothing third party. Had terrible battery life and charged a lot slower. I'd avoid the update just incase until they fix these issues. T-Mobile rep told me that I was one of many receiving replacements because of kitkat

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    This is what the articles I read stated about the SD card pretty much and that is exactly what I'm trying to fiind out so I can avoid.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    03-19-2014 09:25 PM
    If you only use stock apps, and don't have a SIM, then sure, go for it.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-19-2014 09:35 PM
    My new Tmobile Note 3 is able to save pics to SD card and im able to move pictures around with default file manager with Kitkat *shrug*
    Are you using a 3rd-party camera app to save pics to SD card or default camera app? It sounds like Kit-Kat places restrictions on 3rd-party apps where it doesn't for default apps regarding saving to SD cards.
    03-22-2014 10:18 AM
    KitKat doesn't prevent use of the SD card. It instead requires programs that want to write/read the SD card to do it in a different more secure manner. The real issue is that many programers have not updated their APPS to conform to this new security feature. So if your preferred app doesn't conform complain to the developer to get onboard. Clearly if the stock phone programs work then any program can work if it follows the correct protocalls. Running around in circles screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" simply doesn't resolve anything. Just my 2 cents worth.
    ladyc0524, TenshiNo and msndrstood like this.
    03-22-2014 10:55 AM
    I updated a few days ago and after reading your comment I went into my camera app to check and my pictures are still set to save to my sd card.
    Are you sure the sdcard in question is the EXTERNAL card (sdcard1) and not the INTERNAL memory (sdcard0)? I can't imagine a dumber way of referencing storage. If I had 16GB of internal storage I wouldn't worry, but I've got at most 2GB of internal ("phone" and "internal storage") storage and I'm almost full now. DUMB.
    03-24-2014 01:03 PM
    KitKat doesn't prevent use of the SD card. It instead requires programs that want to write/read the SD card to do it in a different more secure manner. The real issue is that many programers have not updated their APPS to conform to this new security feature. So if your preferred app doesn't conform complain to the developer to get onboard. Clearly if the stock phone programs work then any program can work if it follows the correct protocalls. Running around in circles screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" simply doesn't resolve anything. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Well, there is this scenario. I take a picture with the stock camera. I then can use stock app Gallery to view those pictures, but in 4.3 I could also use QuickPic. If I wanted to tweak one of those pictures to make a background image, I could also use the Blur app. With 4.4, it sounds like I would need to duplicate the original picture folder that Gallery used, 2 more times for QuickPic and Blur. Same thing if I wanted to look at movies, I could use the stock Video app, but I may prefer to use MX Player Pro. For music I have the stock Music app, Double Twist or PowerAmp.

Why would I have so many apps? Frankly with the $50 promotion for my Note 3, and another $50 for my tablet, I was encouraged to try a bunch of apps. And in the uncommon chance that one of those apps had a bug, I could use one of the other apps in the interim.

The sky isn't falling. The chemistry of the sky has changed, to something that's said to be more secure, but it discourages the use of the external card and hampers flexibility. I would call this an extreme change in how Android operates, and one either conforms to the new restrictions, or is forced to do something that is likely to void the warranty. I can agree that there are people out there, who really need to be protected from malicious apps accessing folders improperly, but to me this feels like universal parental controls.

Even heavy handed Apple didn't force me to update the OS on any of my previous phones, if I was happy enough with how they were, as is.
    03-25-2014 03:28 AM
    Well, there is this scenario. I take a picture with the stock camera. I then can use stock app Gallery to view those pictures, but in 4.3 I could also use QuickPic. If I wanted to tweak one of those pictures to make a background image, I could also use the Blur app. With 4.4, it sounds like I would need to duplicate the original picture folder that Gallery used, 2 more times for QuickPic and Blur. Same thing if I wanted to look at movies, I could use the stock Video app, but I may prefer to use MX Player Pro. For music I have the stock Music app, Double Twist or PowerAmp.

Why would I have so many apps? Frankly with the $50 promotion for my Note 3, and another $50 for my tablet, I was encouraged to try a bunch of apps. And in the uncommon chance that one of those apps had a bug, I could use one of the other apps in the interim.

The sky isn't falling. The chemistry of the sky has changed, to something that's said to be more secure, but it discourages the use of the external card and hampers flexibility. I would call this an extreme change in how Android operates, and one either conforms to the new restrictions, or is forced to do something that is likely to void the warranty. I can agree that there are people out there, who really need to be protected from malicious apps accessing folders improperly, but to me this feels like universal parental controls.

Even heavy handed Apple didn't force me to update the OS on any of my previous phones, if I was happy enough with how they were, as is.
    I agree to a degree. But how can progress for security be implemented without some sort of recourse? It's Googles progress moving forward and I'm sure they announced this to ALL developers before implementing this "feature" in 4.4.2. If they didn't update their app, it's not Google's fault, it's the developers.

BTW, you don't have to upgrade. Let it download and don't install. The only real drawback is that you can't get any new updates until you do. So their NOT forcing you....merely giving you a nudge.
    03-25-2014 06:04 AM
    What did you do to get Pocketcasts to work. It has been a major disaster on my HTC One M8 since I installed it yesterday. Won't download podcasts or art; will only let me delete files. (Part of the problem is their insipid way of filenaming podcasts).
    03-26-2014 10:54 AM
    I'm officially boycotting KitKat all together at this point after what it did to 3 T-Mobile Note 3's.
    Kellina James and boudicca00 like this.
    03-26-2014 06:50 PM
    yes i have the same problem ..
    03-26-2014 06:53 PM
249 12345 ...