Note 3: KitKat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I found a few articles that say that devices using secondary external SD Cards such as the Note 3 and the S4 will no longer be able to write to the external micro SD card after the kitkat update. Has anyone experienced this first hand??

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Kitkat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

I found a few articles that say that devices using secondary external SD Cards such as the Note 3 and the S4 will no longer be able to write to the external micro SD card after the kitkat update. Has anyone experienced this first hand??

Sprint note 3, 4.4.2, external SD card works fine.

Posted via Android Central App

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Update! Camera fv5 can no longer save to external storage, so, this has in fact, affected some third party apps.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Update! Camera fv5 can no longer save to external storage, so, this has in fact, affected some third party apps.

The phone is ours and we should be able to do what we want. ..not what Google wants.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

My understanding is that a program can save and access data it creates to SD storage, but can't write to another program's data on the SD card. This type of prohibition seems to be a logical method of improving security of data on the phone. If your downloaded game (or whatever) can't access your banking data (or other private information) you can't have it compromised by having it on your phone.
I am sure that there are much more knowledgeable Android OS folks that can correct me if I am wrong.

rumblefish_454

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

My file manager app can no longer create folders or change folder names or file names/extensions on my SD card after the Kitkat update. Also, my DiskUsage app can no longer create a usage chart for the SD card. It appears that access to the SD card has been severely hobbled for many apps. (Sprint Galaxy S4, Android 4.4.2)

lerien68

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

My Note 3 updated yesterday and today when I tried to take pictures with the stock camera it tells me it can't save the picture to the card and will switch to the device storage. I then tried to use my files to move a pic from the device to sd and it failed as well... this is so annoying... i mean it's a stock app, not a 3rd party one... any ideas from any one would be great...

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I've experienced problems writing to the SD card (reading off it seems to be fine) with apps on my Sprint Note 3 running the new Android 4.4.2 KitKat update. If I use a USB cable to connect my phone and computer, I can modify the SD card at will. However, apps on my phone no longer seem to be able to do everything they used to with my SD card. For example, I have some audio files I want to listen to once, then delete. The music app I usually use to do the deleting after listening doesn't seem to be able to delete files from my SD card anymore. More importantly, file manager apps I've tried are having problems writing to the SD card. I can't copy files from my computer to the SD card using these apps to make, say, a LAN or FTP connection over WiFi. I think I can copy them to internal phone memory over WiFi, but then moving them to the SD card doesn't always work. Sometimes copying files does work, but copying folders always seems to fail. Results could vary by app -- I've been trying two file explorers, and one seems to have a bit more trouble than the other, but some of the features are different between them (since I'm using only free versions at the moment), so I can't always take identical actions with both apps for direct comparison. I think this is a user-unfriendly change. Having to use a USB cable every time I want to modify my SD card is inconvenient, to say the least. I hope that developers will be able to figure out ways to modify their apps so that they can still use the SD card, at least to some extent. It's the file explorer apps I'm most concerned about -- if I can't use them to manage my SD card, they're semi-useless now. I hope they manage to figure out some kind of work-around, so they can maintain their usefulness.

beh, I'm not sure of the details myself either, but I think you're on the right track. What I seem to remember is that third-party apps are able to access internal phone memory the same as always, but for the SD card they're limited to writing to one app-specific directory. Reading from the card seems to be fine -- I haven't had any problems there yet. It's when I want to use an app to write files or folders that problems begin.

lerien68, I just tried taking a photo with the stock camera app and it looked like it wrote to the SD card fine. I'm not sure why yours doesn't, because as I understand things, stock apps pre-installed on the phone should not be subject to the same stricter rules on SD card access as other third-party apps we download and install ourselves.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

My Note 3 updated yesterday and today when I tried to take pictures with the stock camera it tells me it can't save the picture to the card and will switch to the device storage. I then tried to use my files to move a pic from the device to sd and it failed as well... this is so annoying... i mean it's a stock app, not a 3rd party one... any ideas from any one would be great...

I updated a few days ago and after reading your comment I went into my camera app to check and my pictures are still set to save to my sd card.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I updated a few days ago and after reading your comment I went into my camera app to check and my pictures are still set to save to my sd card.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

might be set but did you take a recent pic to see if it would go on the SD card?

Nanfoodle

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

:mad: :mad: :mad: With Googles stance on apps using external SD cards going forward I maybe dumping all android products for any product that does not take control of how I use my files. The very reason I dumped Apple and more then happy to dump Android. The only reason Google has made this move is because Google apps and stock apps can still use external SD card. So this forces players to stop using 3rd party apps. More money in Googles pockets. They are forgetting people made the jump from Apple to Android because of this junk. Few new OS coming out this year and unless this is fixed I will be making the jump to something new that does not tie my hands to how I manage my files. :mad: :mad: :mad:

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have received a few updates to apps that specifically say "blah blah blah to work with Kit Kat." I think these problems will be fixed but it will be up to devs to make their app work with KK.

ATT N3

Nanfoodle

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I have received a few updates to apps that specifically say "blah blah blah to work with Kit Kat." I think these problems will be fixed but it will be up to devs to make their app work with KK.

ATT N3

The OS has permission settings that say 3rd party apps cant write to external SD card. Native apps and stock apps still can but someone is going to have to hack the OS to over ride this new coding. I hope its a simple fix as being forced to root my device and flash it with a custom ROM is not my first option IMO. It would be switching to a different OS. While a stock camera can still save pictures to the SD card, a 3rd party app cant move it or rename it or edit it in any way till you plug the phone into your PC and move the picture to your PC and then back to your phones storage.

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm just going to stick to 4.3 at this point when the update rolls out. I'm very leary of losing the ability to write to my micro sd when I use it so much. As much as I know about Android, I don't like the idea of rooting my device.

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

I can see the reasoning behind this, This would prevent a virus from doing anything to your MicroSD card. It may be more limiting, but probably a lot safer as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza