Help with transfer from S4 to Note 3, what's the best method?

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi people! I currently have a Galaxy S4, rooted via this method. The S5 fails to impress me, and in several ways is actually a downgrade from my S4, so I'd like to use my JUMP! upgrade on a new Note 3 instead. With T-Mobile, I need to back up all my stuff before I upgrade. I need to wipe my S4 and unroot it. I can handle that. I also need to root my new Note 3, and this looks promising. It might even be the same thing I did to my S4. So, here's what I don't get. I know when I turn on my new Note 3 and sign in Google Play will automatically redownload all my apps, minus a small handful I got online, but will it automatically download my app data too?

I have root on my S4 now, and my Note 3 will be rooted, so with over 600 apps, what is the best way to transfer all (or as much as possible) of my apps and data from my S4 to my Note 3, without needing both devices at the same time? I'd rather not use an app that backs up and restores everything because it will install all my apps outside of Google Play and they won't update automatically. Since Google Play will reinstall all of my apps anyways, is there some root tool I can use to just back up my app data for all my apps, then restore that data to the newly downloaded apps on my new phone? Is that even needed? Will Google Play back up my app data automatically? If Google Play can handle everything, then is there a way to manually back up all my app data right before I wipe my S4?

Thanks so much! :)

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has a pretty decent app for this, in the Google Play Store - its called Samsung Smart Switch Mobile.

You will need to install it on both your S4 and your new Note 3, and let it do its magic.

It was pretty decent when I went from my Note 2 to the Note 3.

It mucked up some things, but this is where Helium came to the rescue, since it had all my apps and settings backed up.

Then there is always Kies, but that's been a hit and miss for me.

Posted via Android Central App

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has a pretty decent app for this, in the Google Play Store - its called Samsung Smart Switch Mobile.

You will need to install it on both your S4 and your new Note 3, and let it do its magic.

It was pretty decent when I went from my Note 2 to the Note 3.

It mucked up some things, but this is where Helium came to the rescue, since it had all my apps and settings backed up.

Then there is always Kies, but that's been a hit and miss for me.

Hmm. That's a good idea. I suppose I could back up my data, unroot, and still use the Samsung transfer app. Did it transfer app data? Did it allow Google Play to update apps automatically? Thanks. 😃

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If I bring my S4 into the T-Mobile store rooted they might fight me on the JUMP! upgrade, arguing that I have to pay the $175 deductible as rooting the device voids the warranty. Much simpler to avoid the issue altogether and just unroot the phone before bringing it in. The "custom" flag was set off, but not the "root" one, or something like that. I just know when I rooted it the online guide said this method was "warranty safe" so I can unroot it without T-Mobile ever knowing it was previously rooted.

Why unroot?

Yes, it transferred data and installed apps from the play store

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair