Had to change google password, now phone says "There was a problem communicating with Google"

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Had to change google password, now phone says "There was a problem communicating with Google"

I just got a new computer, and I couldn't remember my google password. I reset it, and now I can'c log into google from my phone. It never shows a window to enter my password, and when I refresh gmail, it says I need to sign in. When I click on the sign in, I get a message saying "There was a problem communicating with google servers" try again later. But it never asks me for my login/pasword.

I tried rebooting, but they didn't help.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Had to change google password, now phone says "There was a problem communicating with Google"

If you're using Chrome on your phone, go to the play store and make sure you have the absolute latest version. I had the same error message happening after the chrome update wed of this week and now there's a new chrome version from Thursday.. I bet it's to do with the login message. (and my browser shows me as logged in anyway). May be coincidence that it happened at the same time as you reset your password.

Posted via Android Central App

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Had to change google password, now phone says "There was a problem communicating with Google"

When I go to the play store it says "Authentication is required. You need to sign into your google account." with a button underneath that says "Retry" on it. When I hit the button it just instantly shows the same sceren without giving me a chance to entry my login/password.

DeadMule

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I have the same problem since yesterday. I switched to 2-step verification on my Google account, after that I tried to access Gmail and Play on my phone. That didn't work, as expected. I asked me for the password, and I entered the regular password, not knowing an app-specific password was necessary. Problem is, now it just keeps telling me there is a problem communicating with the google servers, and it no longer gives me the option to input my password anywhere. So I am stuck. Rebooting doesn't help.

I can't believe there is a problem with the google servers at exactly the moment I change my password process, or that the problem persists the following day (today). What to do?

putsometrebleinit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Go into settings>general>accounts>Google and then choose your Google account. You will see an option at the bottom right to remove the account. Then you need to add the Google account back with your new password

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Go into settings>general>accounts>Google and then choose your Google account. You will see an option at the bottom right to remove the account. Then you need to add the Google account back with your new password

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Just about to post this same exact thing. What you described will fix his problem.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Just deleted and recreated the account and I am still having a problems.

On the sync settings screen for google it looks like it has synced everything excpt for contacts and gmail. Those two have the circle with an exclamation point, and at the bottom it says "sync is currently experiencing problems" it will be back shortly."

If i got to the google play store app it asks me to choose my gmail accout or select a new one. WHen I choose my google account I get the same "THere was a problem comminicating the google servers" error.

I'm not sure what else to do.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

You need to delete all Google sign in accounts on your phone. There are several places the phone uses Google account info. If one is incorrect then none will work. Clear the settings and app data for your play store app too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I just deleted my google account and then cleared cache and data for gmail and the play store. I then rebooted and finally recreated the account.

Same errors.

Thanks for trying, but I am still stuck.

Last edited:

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I've had this error for about 2 weeks now. No change in my two Google accounts in that time and I have been using two step authentication for 3 years. Removing the account will not fix it; it's a Google issue that needs to be addressed on their side

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Is there someone at google to write to?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I just managed to fix this. I turned off two stage authentication and then deleted and recreating the account. Then everything worked. I then turned it back on and everything continued to work.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Glad I could help. Saved both our Iives.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I was just about to suggest this. If you have Google 2FA enabled, one best practice I have seen is to turn it off when you are getting a new phone (or doing a factory reset), and set it back up after you have the new phone activated and "dialed into" your account.

Chris Mallon

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

You rock. Been waiting for this to fix itself all day, googled my problem, found your post, and its no longer a problem. You are greatly appreciated

DanB1969

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Rather than turning off 2 step authentication, I just created an application specific password for this phone (I just did a factory reset to clear some other problems I was having). That seems to have worked. Was afraid that turning off 2FA would screw up all my other devices.

Pacman_DroidUser

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I Have the same problem. Switch 2 factor auth from text message being primary to Google Authenticator ...trid to log in a few time and now All I get is the same message "there was a problem communicating with google servers try again later"

Pacman_DroidUser

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. I tried disabling 2 factor , then I deleted my google account , then added new one and it did ask for user name and password...byut then I got the message "Cant create a reliable connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your android device may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues call customer care"

FYI, I'm on Wifi right now