Note 3 no longer charges after a 0.5 meter drop

lukifell

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my Note 3 on the floor. It was like the lamest drop in history, maybe less than half a meter, so there was no visible damage. Yet after I got home, I realized it wouldn't charge anymore. I swapped out the battery, tried multiple chargers. No luck. I already knew it wasn't anything like that though, since my PC no longer recognized the phone via USB. So I took it to a Samsung shop. I live in China, and since I bought the phone in Hong Kong, they said I'd have to mail it to there to get fixed.

Well, maybe this was a dumb move, but I didn't wanna wait. I took it to a private phone shop, and they took it apart. Over one hour later, they tell me that the module that handles the charging of the phone is damaged. Does that sound right? Internal chip damage from a simple short drop? Are these phones really this fragile?

What's the best way go about fixing it? They said the new part plus labor would be around 80$. I don't really care about the price -- just want my phone working 100% again. Any thoughts on this?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Could be, it really depends on how it dropped. It it dropped bottom first onto concrete, maybe.

Did you have a case?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You may also be able to buy wireless charging system

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Was it plugged in when you dropped it?
Its possible a pin was broken off like a unit that came in for repair at my shop a while back. 2013-12-26 14.45.05.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL