'Android OS' draining battery after updated to 4.4.2

Jiahe Liu

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
After updated to KitKat 4.4.2 from T-mobile, I noticed that the "ANDROID OS" battery drain fast on my Note 3.
I did a factory reset(no software installed) last night and didn't use it today (just stand by), here is the result:
Screenshots_2014-03-10-23-49-52.jpg

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
it probably doesn't mean much, I think KK bundled a bunch of things into "Android OS" process, so it seems take a bigger bite out of the battery.

Do a calibration and see if it behave differently than before.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
mine plummets, but most of it is 1) media server (whatever that is), followed by 2) google plus and then 3) android.

weird thing is that i dont listen to music or videos, and i dont use google plus. this update sucks.

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Yep, people across the board are having issues with this, including Nexus owners. GOogle screwed up something in the coding and who knows when we will get a fix.

k8ZPLY4.png

d7cyp3B.png

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
According to "All about Android" - this is a problem known to Google. Apparently the apps that use the camera aren't releasing it when they are not using it. Google is recommending to delete apps like Skype until they send the fix.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Apparently the Skype update issued yesterday addresses this problem for Skype. Will be interesting to see if this substantially fixes the overall problem.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the Skype update issued yesterday addresses this problem for Skype. Will be interesting to see if this substantially fixes the overall problem.

nope.

Still need to do power off-->start sequence. The phone suck up too much battery for no good reason after 2 or 3 days use.

It's hard to believe google somehow becomes so incompetent in this update, the KK has so many bugs to destroy the battery. Is google preoccupied too much on how to gain more user's information, they completely forgot the battery issue?

I wish I can go back to JB (without voiding the warranty).

Filip Risteski

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I just uninstalled Skype, and problem is solved. Until 13:00 throughout the day battery level was 60%, now battery level is 95% without Skype. Just uninstall it, if you must use Skype on PC, or start asking everybody to use other service. There are tons of them available.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am on day 3 1/2 on the same charge - on 4.42, with 24% battery left. I had a very short charge yesterday in the car, but it simply maintained the battery charge, no increase in %. That said, I usually never went more than 2 days on a charge on JB and I could actually see 4 days with the new OS.

GSAM reports "Android OS" being the top usage in apps, but that means nothing - bottom line is how many hours I get per charge -

It's like saying I have 1000 HP in my car...vs everyone else who has say 350. On the track, it's about who finishes first, not how much power you have under the hood. If I get 2x the battery life out of KitKat over Jelly Bean, that's all I give a **** about.

To those who gets crappy battery life, if you're on your screen with high brightness for say 5 hours between charge cycles, you should not expect 48 hours of battery. I am sure that if you dig down, you will find the culprit apps etc...

There's no magic here - just find the app that is causing the drain - FB/ Twitter / Social Media refresh intervals etc...

Small things like turning off Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use, do not have maps running in background as it uses GPS...all these things add up to big drain.

FWIW, my drain rate in GSAM reports at under 1% / hour and at night, I use timed profiles to shut off mobile data / WiFi and Sync. The phone still works though.

Kit Kat drains less than 1% overnight (6-7 hours) with my power management settings like this.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Glad it worked out well for you too.
See - there was nothing to be scared about.
Kitty Kats are nice!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the more negative crap I read on message boards from those who have nothing but issues - the more I realize that most of it is just due to the user.

I'd heard such poor things about it and it was like the sky is falling, but at the end of the day, KitKat seems to be a major improvement over JellyBean, in every respect. Nothing has changed in the UI or how the OS reacts / works. It's only better than it was before and battery life is killer!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't see myself getting the battery life you're getting, but I'll economise and see how much it will stretch.
It is no worse than JB, maybe a little better, and was good anyway.

NoTe3

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I disagree.. I know how to use my phone and disable all the boat ware and other apps I don't use. Trying to save battery life. Kk has killed my phone so much that att is sending me a new one. Hope it works out... Or I will be switching!

Posted via Android Central App

NoTe3

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
After updated to KitKat 4.4.2 from T-mobile, I noticed that the "ANDROID OS" battery drain fast on my Note 3.
I did a factory reset(no software installed) last night and didn't use it today (just stand by), here is the result:
View attachment 107630

Same is happening to me. You can check my forum out on AT&T note 3 forum on here.. Att is sending sending me a new phone. I have tried everything to fix it with no result.

Posted via Android Central App

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm about 10 days on Kit Kat and what I see over the past several days, is that battery on pure standby is way improved over JB, but is about the same as JB under actual use, for me anyway. That's still a nice improvement!

As for the rest of KitKat, it has not "destroyed" my phone as some have noted; it has improved the overall use slightly, but I have not noted anything to it's detriment.

specops2k3

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Would Instagram also fall under the same issue as Skype? what other apps would continuously access the camera and cause that issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz