Note 3: How to find Region Code

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how or where to find which region code my phone has? I've got an unlocked international version but, although I've seen a lot of regions getting the KitKat update, mine is still waiting. I've tried OTA and Kies, still nothing. So, I was wondering how to find out the region the phone belongs to; maybe that region hasn't received the update yet.

The whole reason I bought a factory-unlocked phone was to avoid waiting for updates from carriers, and seeing CARRIER phones getting the update and not me is really appalling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to find Region Code

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how or where to find which region code my phone has? I've got an unlocked international version but, although I've seen a lot of regions getting the KitKat update, mine is still waiting. I've tried OTA and Kies, still nothing. So, I was wondering how to find out the region the phone belongs to; maybe that region hasn't received the update yet.

The whole reason I bought a factory-unlocked phone was to avoid waiting for updates from carriers, and seeing CARRIER phones getting the update and not me is really appalling.

mine is unlocked as well from the carrier but maybe not region unlocked..still not having KK for telus in canada

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Came up on a thread I got involved in as MADD54. Can't guarantee it and probably not the easiest way.
*#1234# will give you a CSC number which will give you a country of origin (hong Kong via Amazon UK in that instance) by searching the number on Sammobile. May have to log in, or try another route.

(Thread title to follow.)
"LTE doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 "

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I remember seeing something in one of my phones ( I don't remember which one and how ) I could see the info like country code 302-220 etc.....into the phone

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Dunno if you didn't want to or already tried registering the phone IMEI, I think, and your location with Samsung support. I have 2 on there (a GS2). If the phone and area didn't match it might come up.

I bought a Amazon sourced UK / EU region N3 on eBay sealed, and wanted to register the purchase date with them. I would have no other come back as I didn't buy from Amazon myself.

I don't want to update for a few weeks while on a temporary job, when I heard some have shut down repeatedly.

Someone has a simple answer. My money is on Dpham00.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

It's already registered with Samsung and I'm pretty sure the region is European but I'm currently in Mexico. I remember you could get the region code off the IMEI or Baseband or something like that... I just don't remember how or how to know what each code means, just to know where in Europe my phone came from.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If you should have an international N9005 Note 3 there are 3 CSC numbers below that can narrow it down.

If you have the GS4 model GT-I9505 that is the one sold here in the UK, and other markets but that's all I got.

Note 3 N9005 CSC # N9005XADMK2 is EU/UK region coded
# N9005OLBBMI3 is Philippines/Malaysia
# N9005ZZHDMK1 is Hong Kong

(Apparently!)

Amazon UK customers have rung Samsung with an IMEI and were given the origin, when they were dubious after buying through Market Sellers.

Hopefully someone will know how to check their phone.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That came up as the PDA/AP number. check the CSC # (*#1234# third line) against the last row below.

Looks like that number is not getting 4.4 yet. Neither is mine, # N9005OXADMK2. mk1 / mk2 is the firmware version.
I had to log in to get this far and find a firmware searchbox.
I had to paste these so stretch them out in your head! I don't know how this is gonna look.

Firmwares | SamMobile
---------------------

FIRMWARE

SEARCH RESULTCLOSE
ModelCountry/CarrierDate Version PDA CSC Kies

SM-N900
Israel (Orange/Partner) 2014

*Deleted by me *

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
some of those above have a Kies firmware tick box available at the line end. Not sure about this.

**N900 doesn't sound European. N9005's are EU official, N9000's are Far East grey imports here w Exynos Octa, 3g, not 4k etc - but yours isn't one.
US ones are N900-. **

Heres more info:

------------------------

Latest Firmwares

*(updates going out, most 4.4.2)*

Model Country/Carrier Date Version PDA CSC Kies

Info

SM-N9005 South Africa (Vodafone) 2014 March
**Firmware numbers deleted by me **

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yup, mine's a 3G International Unlocked model, it was released a few weeks before the 4G model came out, and since I couldn't/wouldn't wait hehe In any case, I've still yet to find a time when I need 4G speeds on my phone; HSPA+ has been doing pretty well for me so far (not streaming HD video as I'm on a 3G data cap, though). Anyway, I thought it was European because of the charger that came with it, but I guess South Africa uses the same power outlet? CSC code came back as South Africa, by the way... Thanks everyone! Now to wait for the KitKat update, although from what I've read, SD card changes don't seem to entice the update very much...

I'll check

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Read a good article by J Hildenbrand "KitKat and SD Cards...."

I was thinking of not updating for a while. Don't want regular shutdowns when I'm working.

I have the 4G/LTE but am staying put on my 3G plan until May. LOL.

As you said, I find H+ super fast at loading long web and forum pages etc. Not into downloading movies atm, and streaming tv, You Tube and radio is fine. Compared to my GS2 it feels like an F1 Ferrari.

Too fussy with public wifi signals though, as per the threads, which is a major pain as I have limited data. Home wifi is fine.

(I thought only N9000 models were 3G, not N900's. Hope you're sure.)

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Actually I was even more 'scared' after reading Jerry's article yesterday haha I knew changes had been made to SD Card access, but didn't know that apps already on the SD card would be lost after the update (and without warning, from what I now know). Anyway, I mostly use the SD card for media storage, but it's infuriating to know that Google's enforcing this and that, security or not, the extra storage is really just a dumb locker as you can't use 3rd party File Managers properly now if you want to re-arrange things.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Actually I was even more 'scared' after reading Jerry's article yesterday haha I knew changes had been made to SD Card access, but didn't know that apps already on the SD card would be lost after the update (and without warning, from what I now know). Anyway, I mostly use the SD card for media storage, but it's infuriating to know that Google's enforcing this and that, security or not, the extra storage is really just a dumb locker as you can't use 3rd party File Managers properly now if you want to re-arrange things.

I was thinking this will no longer be the phone I paid big bucks for.

Why don't they take more months to sort each brands issues out.

How dare they use my phone as their test bed, and possibly leave it temporarily disabled.

I should post a rant under that article but I'm sure it's been covered in the comments. :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I partially understand Google's 'concern' with SD cards, I do... but whether they like it or not, it's STILL a great way to increase storage! And until manufacturers start pumping out phones with GOOD storage space (can't believe that in this day and age, 8 and 16GB models are still being produced) that doesn't charge a hefty amount for a (now) meager 16GB increase, SD cards won't go anywhere. Limiting what they can do for a phone is just mean.

Apps these days are big, and games keep getting bigger downloads. More Megapixels in cameras mean higher file sizes. HD-quality videos mean they're 'heavier'. Streaming serivces and offline caching are now increasingly popular. All this needs space, one that the phone has in limited supplies but that could be increased with an external card. Why Google, why?!

The part that explained why Samsung wasn't including the 'hack' to bypass this limitation as they did in the past did surprise me: If they do, Google' takes away the 'Android' certification for Google Services. Ouch.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Can't figure if Google make money from apps, big money maybe, and know most phones currently have poor storage.
8gb on many mid range. No sense to me.
They could have waited til 32gb+
was the norm.

Yes all files, music and especially photo are bigger. These are peoples new PC's.

SD cards will still be very handy.
They could have pushed their own card range. Instead they discouraged phone manufacturers from including a slot, and now people are counting the app space they want to spare.

App sales will suffer until the next round of larger capacity phones.

They will have to backtrack a little with further updates. Lets hope.

At least us Note 3 and similar owners can look down on the squabbling, app-poor riff - raff with disdain. LOL.
I do anyway :)

Enjoy Mehico.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually I missed the main point again with the last comment . The KitKat / SD is hampering our larger phones as well of course. We have more room, but will have to wait for apps to catch up with KitKat like everyone else; and more update fixes to ease the pain.

Smacking my head now. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith