Samsung Galaxy Note 3 the almighty One.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
So we are nearly 7months in on the Note 3 and it would be interesting to hear from those who purchased at launch.

Like myself I just had to jump ship from the S4 upon the announcement of the Note 3.

My first Note experience but size was not an issue as I also had the Galaxy Mega at 6.3" so this was the perfect happy medium as tbh the mega was just to big for me anyway.

The Note 3 for me 7months down the line has been all positive. The battery has been my greatest plus point as it lasts and therefore I can enjoy the other features. The S-Pen although it's not in regular use it is so handy for them times I need to call upon it magic, scribbling numbers needed for work and link to action is great for me.

Scrapbooker is ok for having a list of various articles and idea.,'s for future holidays and things I'm into.

For media playback on the go I'm often on the train and I just fire on some Big Bang Theory and Yeh it's screen is very apt clear & vibrant.

Overall in terms of functionality and usability I am more than happy and although newer phones are being announced I'm not feeling left behind and yes that feeling of content is quite good. Usually I want the next new phone but all is cool.

It's a brilliant device, not for all as for some it's to big.

But for those that enjoy that larger Screen size the Note 3 got it right.

Overall experience has been positive.

Share your thoughts and experiences?

Sent From the one the only the magnificent Note 3.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe people should post their experience with the Kitkat update. I got the notification today and I'm wondering if I should update.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe people should post their experience with the Kitkat update. I got the notification today and I'm wondering if I should update.

Feel free to combine the two lol

Some are experiencing issues but I have been running 4.4.2 for around a month perhaps just over and all has been well for me.

I did root and flash a rom straight away though. So maybe that is why I have not experienced any problems.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My first note too and I love it. Got it at launch, giving up my S3. At first I was a little apprehensive about the size, but I got used to it in no time and now couldn't imagine using anything else.

The experience hasn't been flawless however. Occasionally my screen won't turn on and I have to pull the battery to get it right. Recently I've been getting poor reception at work, where it used to be OK. Maybe more of a Verizon issue, but one of my employees has a Verizon iPhone 5 and they have no problems.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my note 3 and am in agreement that none of the new upcoming devices have me thinking about switching.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Great thread

I got the Note 3 about a few months after launch went from a iPhone 5

Funny thing is didn't even know much about the Note line. I was just sick of the tiny iPhone screen so began doing a huge search. Looked at the LG G2, and other "phablets" in the market.

Decided to try out the Note 3 man was I nervous. What made it easier was the best buy Mobile said I can try it for two weeks risk free. So I did. And only needed one day to be hooked!

Like someone said above it hasn't been flawless. I have gotten Roque apps draining my battery like crazy, which required reboots, the back of the phone heating up like crazy, and little other stuff. But can't imagine using another other phone at this time

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Bid

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The Note 3- Oh how I love this phone! I have always used everything apple. I had the iphone ever since it came out and also had the ipad. I loved how seamlessly easy it was to keep, share and use content across all their devices but I HATED that you pretty much couldn't customise anything and you were always locked with apple products and hardly anything (software, programs etc) were compatible. Anyhow I spent so much time comparing specs and reviews on the Note 3, HTC, Z1, S4 etc and even the iphone 5s and every time the note came through at the top. So after doing a few months of searching I purchased the Note 3. I love it and couldn't imagine using any other phone although I have had a few things annoy me over the last few months. I will try to detail them but please let me know if in fact it is me that is doing something wrong through the phone and that is why I am having the issues. I don't think that is the case but I'm sure there are some pretty intelligent people on here that know a hell of a lot more than I do about this phone and androids in general!

CONS- Personal Experience

FIRST- Wow, the WIFI. I have read numerous threads about WiFi dropping out quite a lot. This happens to me about every 2 days, no joke. I have to go and reset my modem and reconnect again then it works fine. But really we shouldn't have to do this at all. I never, not once had a single issue with my old iphone and WiFi connections. I continually have the problem "your internet connection is unstable". So off I go and reset the modem yet again. I have unchecked the box to automatically switch between WiFi and 4G data and all the other (many) instructions and advice I could find on forums to fix this, but alas it still happens and that is a big peeve for me. Has anyone solved this issue yet?

SECOND- Sending video via the stock standard message app. This apparently is impossible, especially from reading all the forums on this issue. The phone continually states that the "file is too large" and it even says this when trying to send via email. I do understand that apparently this is a carrier issue as the camera video's in such high quality they won't let us send it. For example something that may only be a 10 second video to watch could actually be something like 6GB. However I can't understand how it doesn't automatically compress the video and send like pretty much every other phone can do in a couple of seconds. If you record a lot of short movies like I do and want to be able to just send them easily (like I use to on the iphone) then this will be a problem for you. (Unless someone knows or has a great 3rd party app that does this easily for us without changing the original file and works quickly??) Like a lot of others I don't want to upload to a private youtube page, or upload to dropbox and send a link etc or have to trim it to the point that it only ends up being a 2 second video. There is an option within the camera that says " limit to mms" which should essentially work but maybe I'm doing something wrong as this doesn't work for me? I tried it out and It didn't cut off the video at the limit or change the quality, it just recorded like normal, so again I couldn't send the video. I don't want to have to change the video recording quality from high to low every single time I record. What is the lowest resolution we can record in on this phone? That I don't know.

THIRD- Group messaging. This was a huge thing I used on (yes again) the iphone via imessage. Now I also know that imessage is sent via the internet and not via the cellular data and is something locked or owned by Apple but I still feel sad that I can't get this from my iphone user friends and family. I still see the original message from the imessgae sender but see none of the other replies from the other members in the group message so I miss out on heaps of conversations. I guess facebook messenger or hangouts (which I haven't used yet) can resolve this issue by just using that for all group messages but other than making everyone you know download a third party app (which is never going to happen for me) I really have no idea how to get around this problem? Suggestions?

PROS- Personal Experience

Although I have listed the things that I personally deem as cons there are SOOO many pros its not funny.
The camera- 13MG who can go wrong with that? I love the quality of the photos this camera produces. Yes it can overexpose your pics a bit and saturate them also but dam it certainly kicks **** on all the other phones I know and the camera would be one of my most used apps. The modes are great also. It is just like having your own digital camera on hand. Obviously not like carrying an SLR around lol but really good none the less.

The size- 5'7 inch. Perfect. Actually I find myself thinking "hmm I could go even bigger now" lol. It is awesome and when I look at my husbands iphone 5 I feel like its a toy and is just tiny! I have no idea how I used my old iphone 4s for any web browsing, youtube, reading or pretty much anything as it's just too small. The quality of the screen and the colours are amazing too! So clear, so bright.

The S-Pen. Yep this thing is something I have wanted FOREVER! No one ever wanted a stylus, it was kinda lame to want one or have one but I dreamed of a superior phone, large in size, crazy CPU, great camera and a dam good stylus, then....welcome Note 3 my dream phone! It really does work just like a pen. You can send a message, an email, write a note, write a journal entry, type a new contact in your phone. You can literally do everything your fingers can but with the S-Pen and so so so much more! Watch the youtube vids to see just how many cool little things the S-Pen can do.

The Storage. I have a 32GB and can add another 64GB on a micro SD card. I am never going to use that much space, which is such a plus!! I have many of times reached my storage limits on old phones and no one wants to have to delete or continually export photos, videos etc just so you can take one photo or download one song etc.

Multi Task. Who wouldn't want to multitask like this phone can? Two screens with two different apps and a whole bunch of other stuff going on is great.

So this was my first ever post on any forum, ever and I have pretty much written an essay about this phone lol. Sorry if I have bored people or repeated info that I am sure is scattered all over other forums but I just wanted to give some detail and also ask for some suggestions and help whilst on my Note 3 path of awesomeness. This phone really is a beast, I wouldn't get any other but yes some little things need a bit of TLC in my opinion. :p

Ooh and I am wondering about the KitKat update also, I have heard this can iron out a few niggles for us on the Note 3. Can anyone confirm?

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
This is the first mobile I have bought several months after release. I've always been an early adopter in the past, buying the flagship models (usually HTC) on the day of release whenever I could.

After 2.5wks with the Note 3, I'm smitten. It's so easy to love this amazing gadget. Watching TV or movies isn't something I've ever done on a mobile before, but I find myself doing just that and they look fantastic. Likewise, I have now all but ditched my mp3 player in favour of the Note 3 because the battery life is good enough to cope with that. I haven't switched on my Nexus 7 in the last couple of weeks either. There seems no reason to bother.

I didn't think my mobile would replace the other gadgets I routinely carry around with me, but the Note 3 has done exactly that and it's been a no brainer given the capability of this phone. The SD card slot and removeable battery are massive selling points for me and some of the main reasons I bought this over the Nexus 5, HTC One and other current high end models.

I installed KitKat a couple of days ago and honestly, I can't tell the difference. The only thing I can say I've noticed is the change in colour of the icons on the status bar. I prefer colours than plain white, but hey ho. Battery life seems about the same, if not slightly better with KitKat. Performance was awesome already, so I can't tell whether it's improved or not since the update. I'm happy anyway :D

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Firstly great Write ups especially from bid lol hello and welcome to Android Central.

I can't definitively say that updating to 4.4.2 will fix your issues as some are reporting problems with it.

For me however I have been running 4.4.2 for around a month perhaps longer can't remember. I rooted and flashed a custom rom & kernel straight away and all has been smooth.

I can only suggest trying to wipe cache and see if that helps failing that try the update to see if that helps, if your adventurous their is rooting and Roms.

Others may have some more specific info to help eliminate your issues.

It's seems well balanced so far and yes I have had a couple of problems also, same as bid wifi connection dropping when I was running 4.3 which was really annoying. I now don't have this, the very occasional wifi is unstable but that happens so little that it doesn't irritate lol

Glad your all enjoying despite a few glitches to which I hope you get sorted.

Also observed that the posts so far have been from ex iPhone users and positive they have been balanced so well done for keeping things constructive.

Keep the reviews and experiences comming.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
4.4.2 fixes a lot of issues previously reported such as the "your internet connection is unstable" message and a few other things.

So far the N3 has been the best phone I've owned. The only thing that sucks on this thing is Bluetooth. I'm not sure if it's a Samsung or Google problem but BT works flawless on my MotoX and HTC one. On the Sammy? Not so much. What I'm referring to is text readout/reply and connectivity. Svoice is supposed to do this....nope. Gsearch and Gnow? Nope. 3rd party apps...yup...but at the expense of batt life. It's just wonky and it should work....it's 2014 for god's sake.

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Good thread...

I've been using my Note 3 since January and have recently flashed KitKat 4.4.2 and so far very impressed with the speed and smoothness of KitKat, I also really like the white status bar, just makes the device look that bit more grown up and polished.

The only issue I have had is the occasional reboot, I've noticed this is after the App Store has initiated automatic updates, other than this the device as run as smooth as silk.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Good thread...

I've been using my Note 3 since January and have recently flashed KitKat 4.4.2 and so far very impressed with the speed and smoothness of KitKat, I also really like the white status bar, just makes the device look that bit more grown up and polished.

The only issue I have had is the occasional reboot, I've noticed this is after the App Store has initiated automatic updates, other than this the device as run as smooth as silk.

Thanks I just feel it's good to share experiences, there are reviews but this is and my idea was real world experiences. Eg with updates and rooting and Roms.

Just overall experiences 7months down the line.

I have also had the occasional reboot but it seems to have stopped.

I think that this has been constructive and even from former ios users lol kidding it's great to be balanced.

Is the Note 3 perfect no, is it a great device yes it sure is.

Thanks again and keep writing, this thread could and maybe should be published in an Android Magazine as it's been balanced and fair to this point.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I like my Note 3 more than my last phone.

I wouldn't sneak away to a weekend hideaway with it though.

Some of you, just get a room with it and release that passion.

Honestly!

:)

Sent from my N9005, a device I use.

Last edited:

Bid

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Firstly great Write ups especially from bid lol hello and welcome to Android Central.

I can't definitively say that updating to 4.4.2 will fix your issues as some are reporting problems with it.

For me however I have been running 4.4.2 for around a month perhaps longer can't remember. I rooted and flashed a custom rom & kernel straight away and all has been smooth.

I can only suggest trying to wipe cache and see if that helps failing that try the update to see if that helps, if your adventurous their is rooting and Roms.

Others may have some more specific info to help eliminate your issues.

It's seems well balanced so far and yes I have had a couple of problems also, same as bid wifi connection dropping when I was running 4.3 which was really annoying. I now don't have this, the very occasional wifi is unstable but that happens so little that it doesn't irritate lol

Glad your all enjoying despite a few glitches to which I hope you get sorted.

Also observed that the posts so far have been from ex iPhone users and positive they have been balanced so well done for keeping things constructive.

Keep the reviews and experiences comming.

Thanks for the welcome! I really have never posted on any forums before but read them a fair bit.

I am in Australia and although Kitkat is out in the US we don't have a definite time frame when it will be rolled out here. My carrier is Telstra and I am just hoping they get it out soon so hopefully some of my issues may be fixed. I am running Nova Prime launcher in the Kitkat version which has only changed the look of some apps etc. Obviously it's not going to fix any issues though.
I have no idea about rooting the phone and roms, really no idea lol but it seems everyone roots them these days but I'm anxious to do it (even though I don't know how lol) in case I ruin something on my phone and can't fix it! Tell me, what exactly does the root change on the phone that makes everyone want to do it? What differences are there and what are the benefits?

Does anyone have any suggestions on sending video via message or any third party apps to help me out a bit? I just convinced my cousin to buy this phone also and I want to be able to help her do all these things we've been so use to in the past.

Oh and I HAVE to ask... what is with Facebook and not being able to post a photo within a comment on a post etc? This was something I was able to do with my old phone for ages yet on the Android platform it doesn't even have that option and yet the new update for fb came out today on android claiming it now does this but nothing has changed? Is anyone else getting this problem as it seem every review in the play store are saying the same thing about it not working.

Looking forward to reading more posts! This is exactly what I was looking for, to chat with others about the phone and get suggestions, info and helpful feedback. Good thread!

The amazing Note 3!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
4.4.2 fixes a lot of issues previously reported such as the "your internet connection is unstable" message and a few other things.

....it's 2014 for god's sake.

Oh! Good.

If KitKat fixes the 'fussy about your wifi signal' problem I may update early after all.
This is my biggest bugbear and reduces my use of the phone.
I gave up reading KK threads and scare stories about shutdowns and that apps will have to catch up with the SD issue, so thanks for that!

@Bid. Good one. Likewise with the wifi.
I can't help you with the video upload, but on the N3, even 4K video is compressed to 350mb per minute, apparently, ref our very savvy new moderator in the thread "How big is 1 minute of 4k video", or similar title.

Sent from my N9005, a device I use.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My first Android here. While I don't use every app that came with the phone, I adore the phone. It's been so much nicer to just carry the phone and not 2 devices.

The phone can act weird on occassion but I love the screen and abilty to sketch on my phone that I go CRAZY about it sometimes. Don't think that has ever happened in the 4 years I've used the iphone and ipad. Now, that Evernote has released the handwriting update... I'm all over it. This phone is a blast to have.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Great thread

I got the Note 3 about a few months after launch went from a iPhone 5

Funny thing is didn't even know much about the Note line. I was just sick of the tiny iPhone screen so began doing a huge search. Looked at the LG G2, and other "phablets" in the market.

Decided to try out the Note 3 man was I nervous. What made it easier was the best buy Mobile said I can try it for two weeks risk free. So I did. And only needed one day to be hooked!

Like someone said above it hasn't been flawless. I have gotten Roque apps draining my battery like crazy, which required reboots, the back of the phone heating up like crazy, and little other stuff. But can't imagine using another other phone at this time

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

On the battery thing. The other day, I was out of town with some buddies of mine. we looked at Netflix movies none stop off my Note 3, connected to a TV. When my shift was up, I left it for another shift to look at movies.. All I had to do was swap out batteries. Swap out to a fresh battery, but the spent one in a charger..Takes 15 seconds to swap batteries. In so many words, the Note3 has the amazing feature of removealbe battery. I always carry two spares.. Plus, the Note 3 charges super fast. There should never be any mention or problem of "battery drain"..

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
The wifi issue is my chief complaint as well and now that I read this, I will definitely throw caution to the wind and update when it comes (I'm on AT&T). That has really been my only complaint although I am VERY thankful my Note seems relatively happy on my U-Verse WiFi at home. It just doesn't want to work and play well with all others. ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Seems most people's home wifi is ok, mine too. But I use public wifi a lot, like many. Here's hoping.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Even though I wasn't part of the early adaptors party, I can say the Galaxy Note3 is the BEST smartphone I have owned. I guess I was brainwashed into beliveing a smaller screen was the way to go. The S-Pen, battery life and Wifi are amazing. I'm still learning ALL the stuff this BEAST of a smartphone can do. At first I wasn't aware of how handy or how much the S-Pen would come in to play, the battery life with such a large screen is excellent, I easily get a day and half of battery usage, not to mention being able to switch batteries when needed. I have no problems with my Verizon Note3's WiFi at home, at the office or at the VA (terrible connection with previous devices). Just for "GP" (general purposes), I've tried different WiFi connections at several other locations and was always able to connect with no problems. I have a SanDisk Ultra 64gb installed in my Note3 and everything works great with JellyBean (Verizon hasn't released KitKat yet), but I'm concerned what effect the Kitkat update might do to my extremely smooth and great working Note3. All and all...The Galaxy Note3 is an AWESOME device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2