Note 3: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

tripleh3lix

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
6 max of screen usage? They say it's better than the iPhone, but I got 6 and a half to 7 with notifications off and screen brightness at half.

This is with notifications turned off, no other apps running in the background other than facebook at 15 percent (when I'm using it). Did I get a dud? All my sync services are off, no custom loaders, screen brightness is at half, powersaving mode turned on, i'm running 4.3, and I use the phone to text and browse the web.

3-4 pictures taken throughout the day, some facebook chatting and mainly texting. GPS is also off, and the only things that are on are screen orientation and wifi (when I'm using the phone, it's shut off when I turned the phone off because it helped battery slightly). Also, apps are never running in the background and I clear the ram a few times a day. Also reset the phone once a day as well before I take off the charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

I am kind of confused .. Your title says your battery lasts for about 4 hours but in your first sentence you talk about having 6 hours of screen on time? Confused .. :confused:

Also I wouldn't clear your RAM as this can actually cause more battery drain. Android uses the RAM differently than Windows so it is actually good to be using it. This article explains it pretty well... RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery averaging out to about 4 and a half hours?

Could you post screenshots of your battery stats, and graph please? Take them at about 30% remaining so we can see what is going on.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would also recommend using gsam, which can help to better assess the situation

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
If you updated to KitKat, that also is a huge problem as people across the web with Notes and Nexus's are having battery issue with KK

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If you updated to KitKat, that also is a huge problem as people across the web with Notes and Nexus's are having battery issue with KK

Not everyone has that battery drain. I've seen some actually improve on KK.
Either way, we can't tell without screenshots

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone has that battery drain. I've seen some actually improve on KK.
Either way, we can't tell without screenshots

Your a small minority then and it doesn't effect S4's, its Note 3's and Nexus's

Learn the truth son

k8ZPLY4.png

d7cyp3B.png

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No problems here on my Nexus 5, 2013 Nexus 7, and 2012 Nexus 7, all running 4.4.2. On my N5, Android OS currently using 7% of my battery, Android System 12%. As Bill Murray said in Stripes, "That's the fact, Jack!":p

Does the Kernel usage change after reboots?

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Your a small minority then and it doesn't effect S4's, its Note 3's and Nexus's

Learn the truth son

http://i.imgur.com/k8ZPLY4.png

http://i.imgur.com/d7cyp3B.png

No, you're the one in the minority. Someone having issues is far more likely to come onto forums like this one and share their experiences with a certain upgrade, than someone who isn't.

You don't go to a mechanic shop, see everyone else getting their car fixed and assume that everyone in the world has issues with their car.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please keep things civil.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

tripleh3lix

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot_2014-03-06-02-12-19.jpg Screenshot_2014-03-06-03-08-50.jpg There's some screenshots of general usage. I get around 5 hours on a good day, and have only gotten 6 hours ONCE out of the 2 weeks I've had it. I didn't do anything different that day. I am just wondering just based on this screenshot if I should just exchange it. Only have one day. Just really have no idea how to backup anything on this phone easily without a 3 page set of instructions.

Also I don't have time for 3rd party apps as this may be my last day to return the phone, but I made sure to take more screenshots of my battery (those were about 4 hours and around the same kinda usage with the same apps) but they got deleted on accident the other day.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 107997 View attachment 107998 There's some screenshots of general usage. I get around 5 hours on a good day, and have only gotten 6 hours ONCE out of the 2 weeks I've had it. I didn't do anything different that day. I am just wondering just based on this screenshot if I should just exchange it. Only have one day. Just really have no idea how to backup anything on this phone easily without a 3 page set of instructions.

Also I don't have time for 3rd party apps as this may be my last day to return the phone, but I made sure to take more screenshots of my battery (those were about 4 hours and around the same kinda usage with the same apps) but they got deleted on accident the other day.

Nothing out of the usual there. If your phone's brightness is on the higher side, the screen will drain the battery faster. 5 hours doesn't seem all that bad, and there's no apps using more battery than they should.

tripleh3lix

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
My brightness is always a bit below half. Gps off at all times other than a few times a day to check into foursquare. Also how is 5 hours of usage on average is better than an iPhone, people are saying most of the newer android phones have a better battery, I'm not seeing it..

Also yesterdays battery life with a 20 minute phone call was about 4 hours and 21 minutes. Same kinda usage.

So no reason to take back then and all is normal? Today is my last day.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My brightness is always a bit below half. Gps off at all times other than a few times a day to check into foursquare. Also how is 5 hours of usage on average is better than an iPhone, people are saying most of the newer android phones have a better battery, I'm not seeing it..

Also yesterdays battery life with a 20 minute phone call was about 4 hours and 21 minutes. Same kinda usage.

So no reason to take back then and all is normal? Today is my last day.

Well your signal doesn't look very good so that can be draining it more than usual. I haven't seen an iPhone get more than 4 hours of screen time. I've used both a 4S and a 5 and while the idle time was great, using the phone killed the battery fairly quickly

tripleh3lix

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh wow very strange. I always got 6 to 6 and a half on a decent day on my 5s and 5. 4s had even better battery life than both. Well thanks guys, I guess this is normal. My signal averages from 2-4 bars around the house but usually on wifi

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh wow very strange. I always got 6 to 6 and a half on a decent day on my 5s and 5. 4s had even better battery life than both. Well thanks guys, I guess this is normal. My signal averages from 2-4 bars around the house but usually on wifi

Posted via Android Central App

How did you see that? The iPhone only shows "usage" for battery stats, but not actual screen time on information.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
5 hrs screen time is a lot for any phone. I'm a moderate to heavy user and I might see 4 hrs screen time in a day occasionally. A lot more talk time but screen trumps talk in battery use. And touch the battery graph to see your signal and awake time. Might be something there.

ATT N3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463