Note 3: So, those of you who have upgraded to KitKat - a question:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If you have been rocking FoxFi, does it still work after the upgrade? We on VZN still with unlimited data would like to know so we can decide whether to take the upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Doubtful. Are you upgrading by means to keep unlimited data? If so you can use wired tether apps for sure without rooting. I just switched from verizon on unlimited data to sprint. Been happy so far, even done some traveling. Only time I went from 4g to 3G was in areas where verizon did the same.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Doubtful. Are you upgrading by means to keep unlimited data? If so you can use wired tether apps for sure without rooting. I just switched from verizon on unlimited data to sprint. Been happy so far, even done some traveling. Only time I went from 4g to 3G was in areas where verizon did the same.

I meant upgrading to KitKat. I'm already rooted so that's not an issue. Obviously I don't have to worry about OTA, since if I decide to take KitKat, I would have to go back to stock to take it, which I have no problem doing - I'd just reroot afterward.

Previously, FoxFi was able to re-engineer after each iteration of Android (at least since Gingerbread). It usually took a few weeks depending on the carrier and device but they always got it done (I was previously on Moto during this time).

However, this is the first time that I've gotten a splash screen on startup warning that KitKat might cause the app not to function. I posted the screen in another thread. As I said in the other thread, this got me thinking that they know something about KitKat that we don't since they never bothered with the warning from Gingerbread through Jelly Bean.

So I was wondering if anyone had experienced the transition or had any info on whether KitKat has broken FoxFi. I realize that is still early in the transition, plus there will be no guarantees when it comes to Verizon, but I want to start preparing myself early.

If FoxFi can't be made to work with KK, then I won't be upgrading in the near future as this is my only Internet connection at the moment.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Also, as long as I can keep unlimited data, I'm fine sticking with VZN. I don't text (in fact, I have text blocked) and my phone usage is pretty limited (I rarely get above 200 minutes).

No reason for me to switch.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Personally I got tired of trying to find loop holes to upgrade. Plus Sprint is a lot cheaper.

But I did try FoxFi, and at least on sprint and on 4.4, it attempted to use the framework hotspot (Sprint Hotspot) which I don't pay for, and it failed to start. FoxFi basically does nothing but give you a menu to access the hotspot. It may be different on verizon, but it failed to start on sprint.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Would you update if and when they get it working or not? As I said, it usually takes a little while. If you hear that it conclusively can't be fixed, would you report back?

I was fortunate that I could afford to buy my Note on the Equipment Purchase Plan (payment over a year) at just the right time.

How much cheaper? I pay about $75/mo single line, excluding cost of the phone.

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
When I got the phone I took the updates. I'm happy using usb tether programs anyway. Will probably root and use wireless soon though.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon