Best way to set up a new 64gig card in anticipation for KitKat.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So, got this new 64gig card. I'm going to back my current card up on my laptop. Before I transfer things over, any advice on setting up an initial folder structure on the new card to receive the saved data? This includes which data not to worry about saving, such as app data that should wait until the apps set their own folders up for when they are either updated or reinstalled (I'm currently rooted so for me to take the update workout downloading, I'll need to return to stock).

Thanks. I've got a clean slate to work with here.

Posted via Android Central App

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well as far as setting up the sdcard itself, with 64GB cards its best to use Ext4, as it is natively supported by android and will automatically handle fragmentation without you having to worry about it. However in order to do so you would need to use a Windows program that supports flashing to Ext4 or if you have a Linux machine you could just use GParted.

Yes you shouldn't set up your own data folders for your applications as they will recreate them themselves. However if there is data that you need such as game saves or anything like that, I suggest using MyBackup (the free version), or Titanium Backup as you are rooted. Just choose to backup data only and to backup to your internal storage to make transfer easier. Android will automatically handle the creation of standard folders when it preps your sdcard for first use. These folders include DCIM (Camera Pictures), Pictures, Ringtones, Music, Android (Where all your app data is stored), and several others. I would suggest putting all of your data into the appropriate pre-made folders as that is where android will search for that given data type first.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have TB already. So, before I do anything in terms of transferring pics, etc, should I move the TB folder whole right after mounting? And once I mount the new card, should I simply reboot and let Android take care of building the folder structure or does it do that during the format process?

The main reason I'm asking these questions is the way that Kit Kat is handling SD cards differently than prior iterations. Normally I would have just copied the whole SD folder over.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I will tell you what I am going to do.

Simply put i am going to move all apps to my local storage and then format my card.

The idea being that with all the confusion of stuff breaking for people I would rather just let android figure it out and start clean. Once 4.4.2 is loaded I will check about moving content back to the SD Card and see what works and what doesn't. When a app doesn't work I am going to reach out and ask the developer to fix their app.

I really don't think the sky is falling with this, but do think we should take measures to protect our data prior to loading Kitkat. To be honest that is the case before any upgrade. Tiime will tell how bad the impact is. The good thing is that the Note 3 has 32GB internal storage. I would be surprised if most people fill that up prior to the addition of media content. I can certainly fill it up with sync'd plex content, and recorded videos on the phone. but once the data is on internal storage all should be good for the upgrade.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!

I don't seem to have nearly 32gig available probably due to partitioning when I set up my slots in TWRP. At least that what it seems when I check my storage. The numbers just don't add up.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well that is 32GB internal storage. So you have to remember that you will get less once you consider the OS and such. I think the actual available would be closer to 23-24GB, and that is ofcourse before you load apps on it.. I have ruffly 4GB in apps on mine.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I know. But when I check the reason why I've only got about 750 meg left of internal storage, the totals don't even come close to what they should be. I've got over 30gig of "miscellaneous files" but when I look to see what's there, only Titanium Backup is even over 1gig (2.3 gig). Everything else is 89meg or less (most of them a LOT less). That's what got me thinking about wasted space somewhere.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital