Would you buy a Note 3 today?

Loren Terveen

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
A bit of background: I'm on T-Mobile's JUMP plan, and have the Galaxy S4.
I'm pretty happy with the phone, but a big part of why I got on JUMP was so
I could do pretty frequent updates. I'd assumed there was a good chance
I'd go for the S5, but now that it's out, it just doesn't seem like a sufficient
upgrade over the S4 to justify making the switch. The new HTC One is
obviously awesome in all the expected ways, but I still am worried about
the camera, and moreover, it's a decent bit bigger and heavier than the
S4 (and the S4's lightness and holdability are great things about it).

So, all this has made me take a second look at the Note 3; specifically,
I'm wondering whether it's still worth getting. The things I'm running over
in my mind are:

- Comparisons to S5 and (new) HTC One in performance, size, weight, etc.

- Wondering about upcoming devices: Nexus 6, maybe LG G3... and of
course the Note 4 coming in the fall.

So what do you experts think? Still worth doing? And, of course, while I
have held an played with the Note 3, I still don't have a sense of *how*
different its feel and usability is from the S4.

Thanks!

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
if M8 is too big, N3 will be way to big for you.

If you are comfortable with the size, then this is the best.

Loren Terveen

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks... regarding the size, I should have been more clear: given how big
the M8 is, I figured why not consider the Note 3, which offers obvious advantages
over the M8.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Screen size and s pen are the major advantages of the Note 3 over the m8.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
A bit of background: I'm on T-Mobile's JUMP plan, and have the Galaxy S4.
I'm pretty happy with the phone, but a big part of why I got on JUMP was so
I could do pretty frequent updates. I'd assumed there was a good chance
I'd go for the S5, but now that it's out, it just doesn't seem like a sufficient
upgrade over the S4 to justify making the switch. The new HTC One is
obviously awesome in all the expected ways, but I still am worried about
the camera, and moreover, it's a decent bit bigger and heavier than the
S4 (and the S4's lightness and holdability are great things about it).

So, all this has made me take a second look at the Note 3; specifically,
I'm wondering whether it's still worth getting. The things I'm running over
in my mind are:

- Comparisons to S5 and (new) HTC One in performance, size, weight, etc.

- Wondering about upcoming devices: Nexus 6, maybe LG G3... and of
course the Note 4 coming in the fall.

So what do you experts think? Still worth doing? And, of course, while I
have held an played with the Note 3, I still don't have a sense of *how*
different its feel and usability is from the S4.

Thanks!

Assuming size is not an issue, then the Note 3 is absolutely worth an upgrade from the S4 or even the 5 for that matter. In this case, the Note gives you a lot of functionality you just won't get from those others. They may or may not have better specs but the Note allows you to do things you just can't do on any other phone. Oh and I think people also tend to forget that they have a buyers remorse period. If you can't figure it out after two weeks (or whatever), then you will never figure it out. I knew after the first day I had it that I was in it for the long haul.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would say that the Note3 is holding it's own against the latest and greatest. The Note3 would be a wise choice and a great way to wait on the Note4 (approx 7 months away).

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
the M8 is, I figured why not consider the Note 3, which offers obvious advantages
over the M8.

then Note 3. I have a hard time understanding HTC's design putting speaker in front. They should do a market survey to see how many people actually cares about the sound that much, before making this thing unnecessarily big.

I also hate curved backs, why does it need to curve? oh HTC.

Galaxy-Note-3-vs-New-HTC-One--400x242.jpg

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
then Note 3. I have a hard time understanding HTC's design putting speaker in front. They should do a market survey to see how many people actually cares about the sound that much, before making this thing unnecessarily big.

I also hate curved backs, why does it need to curve? oh HTC.

View attachment 109676

RARELY do I listen to phone speakers, with all the BETTER sounding Bluetooth speakers and EarBuds as well as Headphones out there...WHY? The concept of puting that much effort, space and time into phone speakers is something that baffels me. (just my .02 cents). Curved vs Flat...a no brainer for ME....FLAT

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
RARELY do I listen to phone speakers, with all the better sounding Bluetooth speakers and EarBuds as well as Headphones out there...WHY? The concept of puting that much effort, space and time into phone speakers is something that baffels me. (just my .02 cents). Curved vs Flat...a no brainer for ME....FLAT

True and I think most of the time, you can't just play the speakers for fear of disturbing others around you. I guess it would be nice but only if you aren't sacrificing other more important things.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True and I think most of the time, you can't just play the speakers for fear of disturbing others around you. I guess it would be nice but only if you aren't sacrificing other more important things.

That's the problem I have. I use my Bluetooth headset around 8 hours a day but rarely use the speakers for music or movies.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
kit kat raped my battery life though. Stock. I used to finish the day at 30% on a single charge. now I need to plug it in or end in the 10-15% range.

johnmltb33

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I would advise: get the Note 3 and NEVER look back! The S-pen functionality and screen size make it head and shoulders over the others IMO.

Loren Terveen

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, I went for it! Now trying to decide whether to install the kitkat update. I guess I'd better while I'm in the two week return period.

Posted via Android Central App

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Love the Note 3. You'll get used to the size and wonder how you ever lived with a smaller phone

Plus the Note 3 is still a monster. Still one of the most powerful smartphones out there, even compared to the S5.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Well, I went for it! Now trying to decide whether to install the kitkat update. I guess I'd better while I'm in the two week return period.Posted via Android Central App
Go for it. I did it last night and it was fairly painless. Some people have had problems but if all goes well, it also solves some of the existing problems. Well worth the risk.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
over the M8.

The size of the Note 3 is very, very easy to become accustomed to. The thing is, the Note 3 is really made to be used with two hands (as a 'Phablet' form factor) that can be used with a stretch one handed for quick productivity tasks. As a two-handed phone / mini-tablet / PDA it excels. Add in the S-Pen functionality for note taking and precise control, the 1080P screen (which is excellent) and really I don't think you can go wrong. But it depends on what YOU want to be able to do with it.

To directly answer your question, I would buy a Note 3 today. They're about halfway through their refresh cycle and the phone is still an absolute powerhouse; it leaves nothing to the competition. Further, I bought mine about a month ago and don't regret the decision whatsover (coming from a Nexus 4 at the time, plus a few other spares I use from time to time.)

EDIT: One more thing: I find i use my phone for many, many more tasks now than I did before going to the Note. The size better supports reading eBooks, surfing, email, managing my calendar, productivity apps, etcetera without being completely unwieldy. I find I'm leaving my iPad mini - the device that previously never left my side - at home or office and just relying on the Note because the mid-range form factor works for just about everything I'm trying to do. The iPad has largely been relegated to a NetFlix viewer while I am relying on either the Note or my laptop to perform tasks, depending on what those tasks are.

I definitely find the Note 3 serves as a real 'utility belt' device that I basically didn't have in my pocket before.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
The size of the Note 3 is very, very easy to become accustomed to.

I was in a car dealership the other day and got my note 3 out to check the news app while I was waiting. When the sales assistant came back he said "Ohh, that's a big one"

I have only had my note 3 for just over 3 months and I do not notice the size at all now. Other people notice so it really IS big, but not to me.

amcjavelinsst

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would not only because I still have N2 so real happy to wait for N4 then leapfrog over N3.
for me I prefer to have a larger jump in specs but if N4 doesn't impress me then sure N3 is on the cards maybe
N2 holds its own well enough that I could even wait for N5!
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos