SD Card Wiped! So sad...

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So my Lexar 16GB was wiped yesterday.
Not sure how it happened, but what's done is done.
I tried a few different recovery programs but the only thing it seemed to recover was my music and the album art and a few pictures that I have deleted in the past.
What I am wondering now is, how did it happen?
I had plugged my phone in the car and put it in the glove box to charge for the drive. When I stopped over an hour later and went to check it, there was a notification saying that the SD card was unexpectedly removed. So I took my back cover off and pulled the card out, then put it back in. Nothing came up. So I removed the card out of my wife's S4 and tried the Lexar and didn't show up on hers either. But her card showed up on my Note. So I waited until I got back home that night and did the recovery.
What I am wondering now is, could it have been the vibrations from the drive that caused the SD card to come out? I noticed now that the SD card slot on the Note isn't spring loaded like some of the other devices.
Any ideas? I am just looking to avoid this from happening again. I occasionally change my phone on long drives. I have picked up a new SanDisk and will hopefully have better luck with that one.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The SD card may have had an error in it causing the notification. Did you unmount the card when you removed it?

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It could have been something as simple as static discharge while it was charging .It is not uncommon for a MicroSD card to fail unexpectedly at times.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The SD card may have had an error in it causing the notification. Did you unmount the card when you removed it?

It is an older SD card. I have had it for a couple of years.
I always do unmount it before I take it out. However this time it was unexpectedly removed. I did check to see if I could unmount it, but it wasn't showing up anymore. So I just took it out.

I have picked up a new 32GB SanDisk now. Bigger is better!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is an older SD card. I have had it for a couple of years.
I always do unmount it before I take it out. However this time it was unexpectedly removed. I did check to see if I could unmount it, but it wasn't showing up anymore. So I just took it out.

I have picked up a new 32GB SanDisk now. Bigger is better!

If it was that old, and you read or write to it a lot, then it may have just died. Downside to Sd cards. When their life cycle is done, there is usually very little or no warning.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I HIGHLY recommend using G+ to back up photos and videos. You can set it to upload only when on Wi-Fi (if you don't have unlimited like me :D) and only when charging, so it doesn't kill your battery. Their pricing just got RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP (just got 100gb for $1.99 a month!!)

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just set up a Dropbox account yesterday. I have no idea why I never did that sooner. It's easy and convenient!
It's great for sharing videos too! If only I would have done it 3 months ago I would still have all the pictures and videos I have taken since my last back up.
Lessons learned for sure.
I am just worried now that the next time I plug into my car there is a chance that it will happen again...

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The chances of it happening again are very slim. I agree with Golfdriver in that it just failed and that happens with SD cards, especially older ones.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463