Fixed my water damaged Note 3! I got pushed in the pool and thought it was dead... Details Inside

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to post this to give hope to anyone who has faced water damage with their phone. I got pushed in the pool by a drunk guy (he felt terrible and even planned it out beforehand when he noticed I was in swimming trunks and not regular shorts... thinking I wouldn't have my phone in my pocket).

Well, I got pushed in and while falling, I even tried to pull the phone out and throw it before I landed in the water lol. I was under water for probably a good 10 seconds as I frantically swam to the edge to get out and pull the phone out.

I did everything correctly in the beginning. I pulled the wet phone out of my pocket, took the back cover off and took the battery, SIM, and SD cards out immediately. I dried it off with a towel for the moment but could not get to a bag of rice for hours. The pool was really dirty, so I knew my chances were slim.

I wasn't able to get the phone into a bag of rice for probably 4 hours. So, I finally got the bag of rice and put the phone in over night. Here's where I know I did some wrong things, but I was very impatient. After one night (about 10 hours) in the bag of rice, I tried putting the battery in and turning on. Nothing happened. So, I tried plugging the charger in and turning it on. Nothing happened.
I know this is very bad to try and do to a water damaged phone, so now I really thought I ruined everything.

I went on the forums and read that distilled water will help clean off the phone should it have gotten into salty or dirty water. So, I got some distilled water and submerged my phone in it for a few minutes thinking I had nothing to lose. I dried it off and put it back in rice for the entire day about 12 hours. That night, I tried AGAIN to put the battery in and turn it on. Nothing happened. I tried plugging the charger in again and turning it on. Nothing happened. Uh oh...

So, now I'm researching online and reading that 99% isopropyl alcohol will help with water damaged electronics. I went and bought some at CVS (they only had 91%) but whatever. This time, I took apart my phone using the ifixit breakdown. I took off the entire back panel and logic-board. I submerged each piece in the isopropyl alcohol for about 30 minutes. I gave each piece a nice gentle scrub with a toothbrush to make sure I was cleaning everything. Then, I dried with towel and I put each piece in a bag of rice over night for about 10 hours.

This morning just now, I put the phone back together. I knew this was my last shot after one night bag of rice, after one day distilled water and rice, and finally after one day 91% isopropyl alcohol and rice... there was nothing left to do.
I put the battery in expecting nothing. Then... suddenly... it vibrated! I looked at the screen and there was the logo! It was turning on!!! I was still not optimistic as I know water damaged phones can lose functionality... but I tested everything out and everything works! Air View, Air Gesture, speakers, calling, etc... everything works!

So in conclusion, I would say the isopropyl alcohol was the game changer here. That stuff really works. I've even seen YouTube videos where people submerge a turned on phone in the stuff and it still works because it does not conduct electricity at all. Pretty cool.

Crossing my fingers this lasts... but I know the lifespan is probably shortened and things may bug out on me in the future. For now, I'm enjoying that I brought it back to life.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Gotta love that feeling of having brought it right back to life! Glad to hear it worked out for ya in the end. Cheers to you my friend!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
91% isopropyl is about the best you can do other than specialty chemical products because isopropyl alcohol is extremely hydroscopic. It loves to suck up water. Which is why it worked so well to dry out your phone. But pre-drying it first was important also because isopropyl can absorb about 30% its weight of water max. Congradulations on a working phone.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm really hoping I didn't screw something up this 2nd time around in the isopropyl alcohol... It turned on and functioned (speakers, LED, etc...) but the screen was black.

Hoping it just didn't dry completely. I can see some liquid behind the screen when it's all black if I put it up against the light. Uh oh...

It will remain in rice through the night and all day tomorrow.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm really hoping I didn't screw something up this 2nd time around in the isopropyl alcohol... It turned on and functioned (speakers, LED, etc...) but the screen was black.

Hoping it just didn't dry completely. I can see some liquid behind the screen when it's all black if I put it up against the light. Uh oh...

It will remain in rice through the night and all day tomorrow.

Just looked briefly (bad signal) at www.reviveaphone.com courtesy of a poster on the other "pool incident!!!" thread. And saw your other thread about a tinge on your screen.

The screen will take 3-5 days to recover apparently, where the phone can be restarted after 24 hours.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't know after your particular story. When you stated in your other thread you decided to do it again because of a splodge on your screen I wasn't aware of this factoid. If you read the instructions page of that site apparently not having a perfect screen back is normal for the first 5 days. I can understand why you were tempted though.
Slapped hand! Naughty Naughty!!
I posted more for future reference. You decide. Hope it goes well.

EDIT: I'm sure it means use the phone after 24 hours but the screen may not clear/dry for a few days.
-----------
?STEP 1

CAREFULLY POUR THE REVIVEAPHONE SOLUTION IN TO THE POUCH.

STEP 2

ENSURE THAT THE PHONE IS POWERED DOWN.
REMOVE THE BATTERY IF POSSIBLE (FOR IPHONES OR OTHER PHONES WHERE THE BATTERY IS INTEGRAL, ENSURE THE PHONE IS POWERED DOWN). PLACE YOUR PHONE (AND BATTERY) INSIDE THE POUCH WITH THE SOLUTION.*

LEAVE FOR 7 MINUTES.

STEP 3

REMOVE THE PHONE FROM THE POUCH AND PLACE IT IN TO THE SUPPLIED TRAY.

STEP 4

LEAVE THE PHONE IN THE*
TRAY TO DRY FOR 24 HOURS.

STEP 5

AFTER 24 HOURS (REPLACE THE BATTERY) POWER UP THE PHONE. IT SHOULD BE FULLY RESTORED!*

PLEASE ALLOW 3 - 5 DAYS FOR YOUR SCREEN TO DRY COMPLETELY

- See more at: http://www.reviveaphone.com/instructions/#sthash.vYU77f5b.dpuf?
------------------------

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Electronics are a funny thing. They don't like moisture, sand, dust, or strippers. Doing things like this is a pure at your own risk type of thing and I would say only works 1% of the time successfully.

Posted via the porcelain throne.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think thats right, though 1% surely was for dramatic effect.
My wife thinks strippers are not good either. I find them therapeutic.

I wonder what the real success rate is of a product like this. There must be a massive legal disclaimer on the pack.

OP's gentle toothbrushing is novel but I'm sure you took great care.
I only revived 2 BB 9900's 3 times (not mine).

At least we learned here about isopropyl alcohol. Thanks OP.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That reviveaphone stuff is basically just isopropyl alcohol lol

Anyway, I just bought a tub of silica crystals and my phone is now submerged in that stuff in hopes of drying out the screen. The fact that I turned it on and everything worked except for a few minor splotches on the corners of the screens really gives me hope.... I'm just worried the 2nd alcohol bath may have ruined something because now the screen just stays black (although it does turn on and functions). And if I look closely in a well lit room, I can see liquid behind the screen and move it around if I push on it. Hoping these silica crystals help dry out the screen. Praying for a miracle...

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Electronics are a funny thing. They don't like moisture, sand, dust, or strippers. Doing things like this is a pure at your own risk type of thing and I would say only works 1% of the time successfully.

Posted via the porcelain throne.

My phone loves strippers. I'm constantly finding myself out of fives (the Note 3 apparently has expensive tastes).

Plus, I'm always having to throw away empty glassine packages with white residue.

If biker chicks start showing up at my door, I'm switching back to Moto.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That reviveaphone stuff is basically just isopropyl alcohol lol

Anyway, I just bought a tub of silica crystals and my phone is now submerged in that stuff in hopes of drying out the screen. The fact that I turned it on and everything worked except for a few minor splotches on the corners of the screens really gives me hope.... I'm just worried the 2nd alcohol bath may have ruined something because now the screen just stays black (although it does turn on and functions). And if I look closely in a well lit room, I can see liquid behind the screen and move it around if I push on it. Hoping these silica crystals help dry out the screen. Praying for a miracle...

I guessed it was that stuff, just in a resealable pouch that you can keep in your car/handbag/case if you're in the habbit of diving in.
Sounds like you saved the board and fingers crossed for the screen.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I guessed it was that stuff, just in a resealable pouch that you can keep in your car/handbag/case if you're in the habbit of diving in.
Sounds like you saved the board and fingers crossed for the screen.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Yeah now I'm wondering if it's worth spending $200 for a new LCD screen... or just screwing it and selling it water damaged on ebay or something for $200 and buying the S5 coming out in a couple weeks.

Surprisingly, water damaged Note 3s go for $200+ on ebay...

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If it happened to me here in the UK and they are fetching those prices, then I would consider it too. If I wanted to sell mine now in A1 I would be lucky to clear ?320 after eBay charges. Factory sealed you can buy around ?400. I can get ?270 cash at an exchange store.
In your shoes I would be undecided about an S5 over another N3.
So all is not lost for you either way.

*EDIT : in fact of those 2 choices I would sell rather than risk a repair, depends if Note 3's are available at a good price like here in the UK.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If it happened to me here in the UK and they are fetching those prices, then I would consider it too. If I wanted to sell mine now in A1 I would be lucky to clear ?320 after eBay charges. Factory sealed you can buy around ?400. I can get ?270 cash at an exchange store.
In your shoes I would be undecided about an S5 over another N3.
So all is not lost for you either way.

*EDIT : in fact of those 2 choices I would sell rather than risk a repair, depends if Note 3's are available at a good price like here in the UK.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

These are sold listings for water damaged Note 3s on ebay... all go for around $200 to $250. I wouldn't be too upset if I could get $200 out of it haha

water galaxy note 3 in Cell Phones & Smartphones | eBay

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm