Note 3 battery life took a nose dive

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
In the last 2 days my battery has taken a nose dive. It's less than 6 months old, usually will last 2 days. I have not changed settings, used it more than usual or done anything differently. I charge it every night. A typical day would start at 100% and end at 40%. The last two days I've hit 10% in about 12 hours. I don't know where to look for battery drain.
Any suggestions as to what could have happened or what's running in the background all of a sudden? I've checked everything I know to.
Thanks

jamieb193

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings > General > Battery. Click on the Screen option and look at the "on time". Usually you will get about 6 hours of on screen time. If it's not the screen, look for anything else that could be running it down

Posted via Android Central App

kentuc794

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Use an app called Gsam from the playstore to monitor your battery and find what it draining it. Could be anything without knowing more details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ErrTex77

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
In the last 2 days my battery has taken a nose dive. It's less than 6 months old, usually will last 2 days. ...

Could be the new Kit Kat update. I've noticed the rapid battery drain on mine, too. Started after the plate just a couple days ago.
I just looked and the power saving mode was turned off (I keep it on) and the screen brightness seems to be at full setting every so often, even though I may have turned it down just an hour before. Weird.

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
My screen time yesterday was about 2 hours. That's normal usage for me. My time out is 30 sec. Don't use Bluetooth (on and off as needed.) Battery usage is "Andrioid OS" 21%. That's the biggest usage.
Something happened a few days ago & I have no idea what. I do keep it on all the time. I use blocking mode at night (only allow calls) b/c I'm a landlord and people need to get me at all hours. I'll turn it off and on and see if that helps any.
Not a happy camper right now. Thanks for the help.

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I am so surprised at the battery life issues. I am a super heavy user and I get about 24 hours on a full charge. I visit Tapatalk constantly. I don't have any jailbreak apps on my phone. I have about 20 apps installed on my Note 3. I have not had to reboot or pull the battery. It just works. I'm happier than I was with my previous iPhone. Battery life is much better. I'm not sure why I see people who has growing concerns about the life span of the GNote 3 battery.

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I mainly text and email. Occasionally use Facebook or Instagram. I take lots of pictures. I am a little concerned just because of the sudden change with NO change on my part. Last Thursday, I was using it around. 4pm and noticed it was at 25%. I thought maybe I hadn't plugged it in all the way the night before, I didn't really pay any attention to it. But since then, it's been draining like crazy. Last night at 7 ( 13 hours off charge) it was 9%.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I know the phone is fairly new, but it might be the battery. I had an extended 7500 mAh battery for mine (purchased in November, generic) and since KK I went from 24+ hrs on battery with 9-10 hrs on screen to 11-12 hours battery life and 4-5 hours on screen. My habits haven't changed, Android is at 12-15%, slightly higher than JB. I was sure it was KK. I ordered an Anker 6400 mAh extended battery and I'm back to 22+ hours on battery and 9-10 on screen, even with the smaller battery. Just my 2 cents about the battery.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, it may come to that. I'm a little disappointed that I'll have to get a new battery, the batt life was one of the deciding factors in the purchase. I'm just bewildered as to why it went over the edge so fast like it did.

jamieb193

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
My screen time yesterday was about 2 hours. That's normal usage for me. My time out is 30 sec. Don't use Bluetooth (on and off as needed.) Battery usage is "Andrioid OS" 21%. That's the biggest usage.
Something happened a few days ago & I have no idea what. I do keep it on all the time. I use blocking mode at night (only allow calls) b/c I'm a landlord and people need to get me at all hours. I'll turn it off and on and see if that helps any.
Not a happy camper right now. Thanks for the help.

Could you possibly back up your apps and data to do a factory reset to clear out any problems that may have occurred?

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am so surprised at the battery life issues. I am a super heavy user and I get about 24 hours on a full charge. I visit Tapatalk constantly. I don't have any jailbreak apps on my phone. I have about 20 apps installed on my Note 3. I have not had to reboot or pull the battery. It just works. I'm happier than I was with my previous iPhone. Battery life is much better. I'm not sure why I see people who has growing concerns about the life span of the GNote 3 battery.

THIS^^^.......

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, it may come to that. I'm a little disappointed that I'll have to get a new battery, the batt life was one of the deciding factors in the purchase. I'm just bewildered as to why it went over the edge so fast like it did.
Woahhh...the battery the other poster was talking about was an aftermarket battery. Not likely that your OEM Samsung battery is the issue. As the poster above said, install GSAM battery monitor and you will be able to see where the issue is using that app.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought my note 3 when it came out and battery life has been fantastic. However in the last few weeks it's gone to **** and I haven't figured out why. Same thing on my wife's s4. I monitor the battery usage with different apps and haven't been able to track down the culprit.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought my note 3 when it came out and battery life has been fantastic. However in the last few weeks it's gone to **** and I haven't figured out why. Same thing on my wife's s4. I monitor the battery usage with different apps and haven't been able to track down the culprit.

my ultimate weapon (w/o hard reset) is wiping cache, data off, sync off, fast reboot.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Woahhh...the battery the other poster was talking about was an aftermarket battery. Not likely that your OEM Samsung battery is the issue. As the poster above said, install GSAM battery monitor and you will be able to see where the issue is using that app.

OEM batteries go bad too. If nothing else works, it makes sense to look at the battery. Just saying that it shouldn't be excluded.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. All the batt monitors say the same, nothing stands out and they report that the battery is in 'good health.' I'll try deleting histories and maybe even some recent updates. You never know what can go wrong. I'm still pleased with the Note 3, I came from an iPhone. I still confuse myself going back and forth with the iPad. LOL

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm at 83% after 8 hours on my battery. Which with JB I would probably have been around 45-50%. I did a full restore after update and my battery life has been better than ever. Screen brightness is approx. 75% and power saving set to off. So needless to say I'm quite thrilled with KK battery on my note so far.

Jake Cukich

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I was having battery issues after kk... I full recycled my battery.. let it die completely. Leave it off and charge it till at 100%.. keep it on for another hour after 100% just incase. Turn it back on and bam my battery was like jelly bean again. Data on all day.. wifi sometimes. Powersaving off. Im at 9 hourd exactly with 75 percent left with pretty heavy usuage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34