Note 3: My Note 1's camera was better then this....

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, after having a FINALLY working Note 3 with Jelly Bean and not gawdawful KitKat, i'm finding the Note 3's camera to be really subpart to the better camera on the Note 1 I had two years ago. Even in moderate lighting conditions, the Note 3 blurs a lot without a REALLY steady hand and the beauty shot mode doesn't help things either, it gets even worse with movement. I was able to take shots with my Note 1 in all sorts a lighting and I was able to get pretty dang good shots all around.

ISO grainness in lower light shots with my Note 1 was also alot better, i'm finding the output of even well framed beauty shots and HDR with low lighting and no vibration to have high levels of ISO noise no matter what i've tried.

*Sigh* Maybe I have to go fork over the money for a new slim Nikon/Canon camera this year after all....

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Note 1's camera was better then this....

Have you tried turning the AutoNight Mode off? I find I'm better off with this one off in 'ordinary' situations and just turn it on when I have a base to steady the phone on and take a longer-exposure shot in low light.

Or you could try switching apps, to something like CameraZoomFX or Camera 360.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I agree with Spook. Turn the Smart Stabilization off and you will notice a big difference. No more processing and having to hold a steady hand.

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried turning the AutoNight Mode off? I find I'm better off with this one off in 'ordinary' situations and just turn it on when I have a base to steady the phone on and take a longer-exposure shot in low light.

Or you could try switching apps, to something like CameraZoomFX or Camera 360.

I've turned off Smart stabile and it still pretty sucky compared to what my Note 1 was able to do under same circumstances. Doing indoor shots at a con this weekend was a real PITA.

This is a good example of how A LOT of my pictures were turning out inside the Comic Con conference center with plenty of light...

KIHxg0o.jpg

Last edited:

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Sadly, I have to agree with the OP. I find the phone really demands a brain surgeon's steady hands to capture photos perfectly. My last Galaxy S3 was not this finicky.

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Buy a Lumia then. :D

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Isn't this you're third Note 3? Maybe it's time for a different phone.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I agree w/ the op. I was disappointed with the Note 3 camera. My S3 was so much better. BUT if you use a third party app, like CameraZoom FX, you won't be disappointed. See attached. Low light, kitties moving around.

du3yhara.jpg

7ezemane.jpg

qasu6y3y.jpg

esymuqav.jpg

pu8u5uve.jpg

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I think the problem lies with the app more than the camera itself (although Samsung DOES seem to have moved to a slower shutter model since the S4). But if you tweak the settings, you can get good shots when there's a lot of movement (try using Sports Mode). But yeah, it's not ideal since it's not what you expect from a point-and-shoot perspective. I do miss some of the features of the Note 2's camera, though. I wonder why they add a ton of bells and whistles to every new model but remove some features that were actually cool (and worked) from previous ones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I will admit the Note 3 does have some blur on moving objects which can be annoying.. I hope they fix that in the Note 4.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

elektrobix

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

I've been using 'A Better Camera' app and i've found it much better than stock especially in low light. It has a widget too so you can quickly jump straight into a particular mode from the home screen.

jelliebean82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

I cannot stand the camera on the note 3 either. Low light pics are horrible and also when taking a pic I have to hold my phone still after the pic for a sec or two before I can move it. Or it blurs the pic....it's very slow. My only complaint of this phone. ...

Posted via Android Central App

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Try camera fv-5, the paid version.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Also, do you have any comparison shots with the Note 1 to see how much better the camera is!???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

I'll add my vote for CameraZoom FX. It's a much better app and provides excellent results compared to the stock camera.

Just my 2p worth, but if you want decent photos, don't use a mobile phone. There's never going to be a substitute for a dedicated camera because the sensor size is always going to be limited in a mobile.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Just carry the note 1 to take pics and the note 3 for phone and internet duties. Problem solved :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've turned off Smart stabile and it still pretty sucky compared to what my Note 1 was able to do under same circumstances. Doing indoor shots at a con this weekend was a real PITA.

This is a good example of how A LOT of my pictures were turning out inside the Comic Con conference center with plenty of light...

http://i.imgur.com/KIHxg0o.jpg

Quit GOOFING off and get back to work! And clean up that mess......

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm actually quite happy with the camera. Smart Stabilization was the only thing that threw me for a loop at the beginning.

You can use voice shutter if you're having issues with shake, but I don't need that. Has been delivering better pictures than my S3, easily and in all lighting situations.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

turn off auto stabilization and just realize that night shots wont be that great. Outdoors though, this camera is amazing!

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I also second switching off smart stabilisation. I used to have it switched on and whilst I was getting good pictures I was taking a couple of shots and then getting one excellent one out of three. Today I had the smart stabilisation off. I took about 70 pictures and every one of them was excellent . I didn't need to delete any of them.

It's not going to take good pics in low light but I can live with that becuase it takes awesome pics in good light.

I've also had a note 1 and I prefer the note 3 's camera.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10