Note 3: Is it normal for my phone to drop from 100% to 98% straight away?

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Happens often.. Just changed my battery round and it's gone from 100% to 98% straight away without really doing anything

Should I do a reset? And if I do will it return to all the apps being where they are for example?

Last edited by a moderator:

MS3GT

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it normal for my phone to drop from 100% to 98% straight away?

Happens often.. Just changed my battery round and it's gone from 100% to 98% straight away without really doing anything

Should I do a reset? And if I do will it return to all the apps being where they are for example?

I noticed that too. I have factory reset twice since December and it still does it.

I am Aquaman!

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Mine does that sometimes. My galaxy S4 does it and my original note did it too. I think you just have to accept rogue battery days with an android phone. I don't mind as I have a spare battery that I carry around with me. On the whole though I am pleased with my note's battery life. I easily get a whole day with medium usage and 12 hours with heavy usage. That's enough for me, particularly when I know I have a spare that I can pop in.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Yep,mine too but stays at that level for quite a while before dropping again.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Thats normal. Nothing to worry about. When I take my Note3 off the charger at 100% and do nothing with it, I will loose approx 3% or 4% during the course of a day. The overall battery life of my Note3 is the best so far from all of my previous devices except for my Blackberry 8330 which in comparision doesn't do as many things with a quater of the screen size. I have excellent battery life with my Note3 (JellyBean OS)

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

This is the norm for any battery it will slow down after the initial drop.

K.J

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Yep, mines also drops almost immediately as well

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Mine does the same thing - in fact, I have two and they both do it.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

It is normal. Here is a question now, when ever it happens to you, have you left your phone plugged in for a pro longed period?
I have noticed with mine, if I unplug it right after it has reached 100% and has completed charging that it will stay at a 100% and drain normally.
But say if I have it plugged in over night, 3+ hours, it will drain through the first 5 percent in a matter of minutes.
I believe it has to do with the charging of the battery, how after it has fully charged it will drain it a bit to keep the charge cycle going or something. Instead of constantly pushing the charge after 100%....
If any of that makes some sense... I am not a tech Wizz...

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Same here too. It will stay on 98% for a while before discharging even further.

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

To update the OP I was having two minor problems since upgrading to Kitkat and decided to do a factory reset. 24 hours after the reset I want to report that after unplugging my Note 3 the battery did float on 100% for at least one hour or so before dropping to 99%. The reset did help as well as correct a few other issues. I would say go for it and try it if you haven't already.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

To update the OP I was having two minor problems since upgrading to Kitkat and decided to do a factory reset. 24 hours after the reset I want to report that after unplugging my Note 3 the battery did float on 100% for at least one hour or so before dropping to 99%. The reset did help as well as correct a few other issues. I would say go for it and try it if you haven't already.

When doing a reset and you click backup do all your apps and settings stay as they are now? Or do you lose info and apps etc?

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

It is normal. Here is a question now, when ever it happens to you, have you left your phone plugged in for a pro longed period?
I have noticed with mine, if I unplug it right after it has reached 100% and has completed charging that it will stay at a 100% and drain normally.
But say if I have it plugged in over night, 3+ hours, it will drain through the first 5 percent in a matter of minutes.
I believe it has to do with the charging of the battery, how after it has fully charged it will drain it a bit to keep the charge cycle going or something. Instead of constantly pushing the charge after 100%....
If any of that makes some sense... I am not a tech Wizz...

Scribbled on my Note 3 and then translated into readable words using Tapatalk

Well sometimes like last night I put my phone on charge at 11pm and then take it off charge about 5am when I wake up for work

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I was finally able to get a screenshot of my Note 3 battery still showing 100% at almost 44 minutes after being unplugged from the charger. I wasn't really using it much but just to show that this Note 3 is not discharging 2-3% straight away. This was after charging it overnight.

Screenshot_2014-04-15-06-48-08.jpg

When doing a reset and you click backup do all your apps and settings stay as they are now? Or do you lose info and apps etc?

All I did was a factory reset around two days after updating to KitKat. I didn't back anything up because the phone was still new and there wasn't anything for me to backup.

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna say yes. No matter what phone I used, the battery percent always dropped from 100% to 95%-98% after about a minute of use. From there it becomes solid.

Never mattered if I was on WiFi or not. I can be at 100%, leave the house and walk 2 blocks then check my phone and I will be at 98% either way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a function of how batteries charge. When your phone reaches 100%, it stops charging and enters a sort of maintenance cycle to keep the battery from overheating (there is special circuitry in the phone and charger that work together to do this). Phones did not use to have this ability, which is why it was bad to charge your battery to full or overnight 5 or 7 years ago. Anyway, in this maintenance cycle, your phone reaches 100% chargered, then is allowed to discharge 2-3% then charges back up that 2-3%. This keeps the battery from overheating and enables us to leave our phones pulgged in overnight without wearing out our batteries. When your phone is in this cycle and plugged in, it always displays 100%. However, once you unplug your phone, it exits this cycle (since it is no longer charging) and displays the true battery percent. Every modern cellphone (smart or not). laptop, camera, etc. does this exact same thing. Completely normal. No need to reset. No need to be worried. You are just unplugging your phone when it happens to be at the bottom of the charge/discharge cycle.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The bare bones of this was explained to me recently.

@jdevenberg - This is an excellently written post. Thank you.
I hope the OP can now sleep better at night. :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That WAS indeed the case with OS's prior to KitKat, but since I upgraded to Kitty Kat, I've noticed that it's far more linear now when coming down from 100%. It will stay at 100% for a long time if I don't touch the phone, and once it starts to drop from 100%, it will maintain a seemingly linear rate of discharge. With Jelly Bean, it would drop to 99% within minutes, so I think they may have changed the battery calibration algorithm in Kitty Kat. That said, I noted that Kitty Kat seems to have a slightly better battery life as well!

amcjavelinsst

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
1st up I have a GN2
2nd up is this from the GN2 forum where a poster said how he solved battery drain using *#0228# when charged to 100%
It drops mine went to 91%
charged to 100%
repeat & went to 94%
charged then went to 96
again then went to 98
now charged to 100% but this time it dropped to 98 as I was doing the reset start (I unplugged charger as I was want to press the start)
It then dropped to 96
I am now in drain to conk out as it is at 25 now
will then charge to 100 and repeat the reset
This is all about recalibrating the battery which is what the process does
I noticed, or thought I did, good battery on way down
Tad over 24 hours on battery only 3.5 hours Screen time now at 23%
This is all to address any perceived excess battery Useage
I think this should address that
But back to OP is that I noticed the immediate 2% drop that it had never done before straight after unplug
Mefinks that when I go to zero then recharge and reset it will go back to no drop

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow