Note 3 and its sound capabilities..

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am going to answer my on question/thread.

I have headphones that are capable of receiving and delivering HI RES AUDIO.. I was thinking I need to get a special player to play them..However, after researching, the NOTE 3, and the LG G2 can play HI RES AUDIO (FLAC)
So, one doesn't have to buy a Hi Res Audio player, the Note 3 comes with one built in...and if one would check the prices of those Hi Res Audio Players, one will appreciate the Note 3 even more.. Awesome!! :)
Here is a quote off a forum talking about Hi Res Audio

"High-res audio isn’t just confined to the hi-fi market. Several of the latest smartphones play music in sparking 24-bit/192kHz quality, including the LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy Note 3, while the Onkyo HF Player app allows you to play high-res music on any compatible mobile phone."

Other that to play HI Res Audio one needs the equipment DAC/Power Amp.

The Note 3, along with my Hi Res Audio capable headphones, allows Hi Res Audio files, and the Note 3 can push them..

Yaayyya... answered my own question/thread..

Pat on my back...

:cool:

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Ha, you are not interrupting me,myself and I.. :)
From my understanding, we don't need the dac/amp if we have the Note 3 and headphones capable of recieving and reproducing Hi Res Audio..
On the phones, it is the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, that specifically states "Hi Res Audio"..it will not transmitt over bluetooth, I have to be wired.. On the Harman Karmon BT, which are a step down from the Sony's, the tech support told me they can recieve Hi Res Audio.. But, I would have to see that in print.. Now, I am in the process of getting some Hi Res Audio files, put them on my Note 3, connect my Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 by wire to my Note 3, and set back and here this knock out audio. To tell the truth, even without Hi Res Audio, the Note 3 has aptx and so does the Sony and the Harman Kardon, so I am getting knock out sound even over the bluetooth.. But, as you know, we older gents want to reach for the stars.. :)
Now, I might get that headphone amp, because it seems like I am liking these headphones, and just sent for some reference headphones, so in a short while, I might have about 5 sets of headphones.. So, an headphone amp will add the fun. Think the Filo 11 or 12, for around $130 might be a start for me..

BTW, I got bad hearing too.. :D

Thanks for the feedback..BTW, the Harman Karmon BT were a deal, they were factory refurbished straight from Harman Kardon wiith full warranty and 30 day return for $97... They have the aptx coding too.. ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
<OK - I completely ballsed up my post and removed it. but I'm sticking it back in case AC have you removed to the funny farm for talking to yourself AGAIN :) Thanks for the reply ABOVE. (we both need more medication - don't we? - haha)>
--------------------------

Don't let us interrupt :)
Hi Res like as in the audio equivalent of video output. You and I are both over 50 (it says so above and I remember your posts :) ).

Yes I think I read in a review the Note 3 is one of the newer generation of phones with high audio capability.

I think I have a good ear, and used to follow audio technology in magazines and the like in the 80's and 90's, but could never afford to indulge in high end stuff.
Even now, like you mentioned, I would like to make the most of the N3's capabilities with an external DAC feeding a home audio set up, although my priority would be a for top CD / Turntable / or the new streaming audio devices the market is moving to.
I think a small headphone DAC to fit the Note 3 is around ?100 - 130 and up, I saw some in a store; so nice to travel around with these and a top set of headphones when away from home. There was an audio app thread where you will remember a couple of apps were highly recommended, Neutron being one.

I bypassed the iPod mp3 generation when I found it was all compressed; and any set up I heard, including full home set ups, left me cold.
So I have always bought cd's and ripped them to a pc as a lossless or hi bit rate files, them dragged them to both my recent phones. I take a set of Grado headphones with me when I am away.

So Free Lossless Audio Codec files are the way to go, but unlike real purists I need some equalising/ tone controls to suit my preferences for different albums.
I do like the basic music app set up on the phone, I found a set up I like and the mid range / vocals are incredible to me, the best I've heard from my favourite albums, but it needs a wider more involving 'soundstage' I think they call it.

The quality of the Note 3's output must be a 100 times better than older generations of iPods/iPhones. There may be a few stereo docks to physically match the Note 3, but better to cable to a DAC amp and speakers; although in my living situation headphones are currently best.

I have been talking and musing to myself as well, haven't I really? :)

** Oh and are those Harmon Kardons the Hi Res 'phones you are referring to? and Bluetooth huh.***Then you have Sony MDR-1's too.
***FURTHER EDIT: I forgot the link. I looked at it when you first posted. I have seen smaller headphone only dac's(?). I can't comment on the quality of this, or what else is on the market. I would need to check some reviews and comparisons, but this is not on my spending radar at the moment. If I were you I wouldn't read this whole post!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I am so confused. But then again, I'm exhausted. This may make more sense to me in the morning. 😩

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
No I've still got very discerning ears, we both have, and I am very critical in the sound department.
Yes of course I didn't see the Sony's first. Bluetooth is way not preferable to proper cabled headphones.
Your right though, we shouldn't need *DAC's possibly with lossless files - I don't know what more they bring except a better conversion back to analogue for analogue headphone drivers. The very high end audiophile headphones come with their own *DAC's though. All a little confusing.
I think it was the Fiio's I saw too, in Selfridges or Harrods here!

Enjoy your yet to arrive reference headphones and am curious if there is a significant improvement.

(* more precisely - headphone amplifiers.)

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I learned 2 weeks ago you can completely remove your own posts via the website.

CEH replied to his own OP after some days, so this was post #2. I replied, so mine was then post #3.
I edited 3 times, still didn't like it so I removed my post. Meantime the OP was writing a reply to me. This then became new post #3.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I learned 2 weeks ago you can completely remove your own posts via the website.

CEH replied to his own OP after some days, so this was post #2. I replied, so mine was then post #3.
I edited 3 times, still didn't like it so I removed my post. Meantime the OP was writing a reply to me. This then became new post #3.

Noobie...(smile)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
HaHa. How was I to know the little delete button on the website meant delete!
I assumed you had to ask for a thread or a post to be removed.
Shame you can't do it on an app though. Maybe on a browser. If I had known this 3 months ago there would be no trace of me left on AC. LOL.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
<OK - I completely ballsed up my post and removed it. but I'm sticking it back in case AC have you removed to the funny farm for talking to yourself AGAIN :) Thanks for the reply ABOVE. (we both need more medication - don't we? - haha)>
--------------------------

Don't let us interrupt :)
Hi Res like as in the audio equivalent of video output. You and I are both over 50 (it says so above and I remember your posts :) ).

Yes I think I read in a review the Note 3 is one of the newer generation of phones with high audio capability.

I think I have a good ear, and used to follow audio technology in magazines and the like in the 80's and 90's, but could never afford to indulge in high end stuff.
Even now, like you mentioned, I would like to make the most of the N3's capabilities with an external DAC feeding a home audio set up, although my priority would be a for top CD / Turntable / or the new streaming audio devices the market is moving to.
I think a small headphone DAC to fit the Note 3 is around ?100 - 130 and up, I saw some in a store; so nice to travel around with these and a top set of headphones when away from home. There was an audio app thread where you will remember a couple of apps were highly recommended, Neutron being one.

I bypassed the iPod mp3 generation when I found it was all compressed; and any set up I heard, including full home set ups, left me cold.
So I have always bought cd's and ripped them to a pc as a lossless or hi bit rate files, them dragged them to both my recent phones. I take a set of Grado headphones with me when I am away.

So Free Lossless Audio Codec files are the way to go, but unlike real purists I need some equalising/ tone controls to suit my preferences for different albums.
I do like the basic music app set up on the phone, I found a set up I like and the mid range / vocals are incredible to me, the best I've heard from my favourite albums, but it needs a wider more involving 'soundstage' I think they call it.

The quality of the Note 3's output must be a 100 times better than older generations of iPods/iPhones. There may be a few stereo docks to physically match the Note 3, but better to cable to a DAC amp and speakers; although in my living situation headphones are currently best.

I have been talking and musing to myself as well, haven't I really? :)

** Oh and are those Harmon Kardons the Hi Res 'phones you are referring to? and Bluetooth huh.***Then you have Sony MDR-1's too.
***FURTHER EDIT: I forgot the link. I looked at it when you first posted. I have seen smaller headphone only dac's(?). I can't comment on the quality of this, or what else is on the market. I would need to check some reviews and comparisons, but this is not on my spending radar at the moment. If I were you I wouldn't read this whole post!

Ha, not only did I read all your post, I have read it over and over again.. :D

As I learn, and get more knowledge about audio, the more I understand what you have stated.. I just aquired a Fiio E18, portable amp/dac, (haven't even opened the box yet), but I plan on using that with my headphones. Also, going to get some open or semi open phones too.. :cool:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought you fell down a sink hole trying to read my post.
Now that you understand it, kindly explain it to me. :)

Nice you got that Fiio E18, I looked at a review and Amazon: and you plan on some good headphones.

Give it some time if you don't like either at first. I haven't used a headphone dac/amp but it's often the way with hifi stereo.
I switched to Grado from Sennheiser headphones and hated them, but now think they're the best for the price.
I would love to try their more expensive units.

It's great to hear your favorite albums again in a whole new light with new equipment.
Enjoy. :D:D:D

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The DAC in the note 3 is still horrible using the Qualcomm dac included in the snapdragon 800 cpu. The Samsung exynos 5 cpu comes with Wolfson DAC which is 10 times better. Using Google music all access with my v-moda crossfade m 100 and xs on both my note 3 and tab s 10.5 and the tab s sounds a lot better then my note 3

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Got myself a Dragonfly 1.2 portable Dac awhile ago for my pc..really does the business...tried it on my Note 3 with my new RHA earbuds really top notch sound,big improvement over built in Dac

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Got myself a Dragonfly 1.2 portable Dac awhile ago for my pc..really does the business...tried it on my Note 3 with my new RHA earbuds really top notch sound,big improvement over built in Dac
I don't want to carry a DAC preferably and the one in the note 3 with the snapdragon cpu is adequate enough for me. Just prefer the Wolfson in the events cpu to go along with the snapdragon cpu

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995