Did we ever decide if US Note 3's are region-unlocked, or not??

RickSchlegel

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I've satisfied myself that my US Verizon N3 is not carrier-locked in the US by successfully installing (here in the US) a ATT sim with Straight Talk. But I can't test whether it'll work in Europe with a European sim without going there, which I'll do for a couple of months in the Fall. I'd like to have some confidence that I'll be able to pop in a Vodafone or DT sim and have it work for voice and data when I get there --- so have we REALLY decided if the US phones are region-unlocked, or not? (For what it's worth, my box DID NOT have the dreaded "USA only" sticker on it.) I'd sure like to avoid the expensive Verizon Global plans, if possible.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon Note 3 should work internationally with one of their SIMs, but you will need to update your APN for the specific carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon Samsung Galaxy note 3 has been used internationally no issues

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I've satisfied myself that my US Verizon N3 is not carrier-locked in the US by successfully installing (here in the US) a ATT sim with Straight Talk. But I can't test whether it'll work in Europe with a European sim without going there, which I'll do for a couple of months in the Fall. I'd like to have some confidence that I'll be able to pop in a Vodafone or DT sim and have it work for voice and data when I get there --- so have we REALLY decided if the US phones are region-unlocked, or not? (For what it's worth, my box DID NOT have the dreaded "USA only" sticker on it.) I'd sure like to avoid the expensive Verizon Global plans, if possible.

For this posting I remembered that I still had my sim card I use in Scotland (home for me ..that is before I moved to San Diego!) It's from the network "three" if you wondered.

I know I'm not in scotland right now (calif) but the sim card works. I've used this sim in scotland and also whilst travelling in Europe with my family.

Hope this info was at least somewhat useful.

There has been a few people from the US who have used their note3's internationally - someone I remember said that theirs worked well in Israel, there were a few others. If I can find the postings I'll link them in here.

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

RickSchlegel

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
For this posting I remembered that I still had my sim card I use in Scotland (home for me ..that is before I moved to San Diego!) It's from the network "three" if you wondered.

I know I'm not in scotland right now (calif) but the sim card works. I've used this sim in scotland and also whilst travelling in Europe with my family.

Hope this info was at least somewhat useful.

There has been a few people from the US who have used their note3's internationally - someone I remember said that theirs worked well in Israel, there were a few others. If I can find the postings I'll link them in here.

Sarks.

Thanks for the reply --- sounds like it does indeed work unlocked internationally, as was advertised. I assume your Three sim which works in the US must operate like the Verizon Global services plan, where I would leave my VZW sim in place when traveling and just have my phone "turned on" by VZ to operate in Europe. Do you find that to be as satisfactory/inexpensive as swapping out for local sims when you travel?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Using Verizon internationally could be very expensive. In some instances exceeding $20,000 per GB. You should check for specifics on the places that you are going but most likely a local sim will be cheaper

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply --- sounds like it does indeed work unlocked internationally, as was advertised. I assume your Three sim which works in the US must operate like the Verizon Global services plan, where I would leave my VZW sim in place when traveling and just have my phone "turned on" by VZ to operate in Europe. Do you find that to be as satisfactory/inexpensive as swapping out for local sims when you travel?

I think you misunderstood Sarks. The Three / Hutchinson sim would not work in the US, and as Dpham00 says I would be very careful not to use a Verizon sim in Europe. However I am in the UK and don't know what international roaming deals they can do for you.
My phone is on a different network here (Vodafone /Talkmobile) but I use a Three data sim monthly for a mobile Wifi / MiFi dongle.
If you are spending a lot of that time in the UK - Three had long been the best value in data and preloaded disposable sims, especially via Amazon UK. Recently their preloaded prices have increased, and the EE network are better value. Currently on Amazon (though this may be a short offer) you can buy an EE (4G) sim for an incredible ?15 which has 10gb over 3 months, and includes ?15 of phone credit for a call and text bundle. If I can also put a link later I will.

Again though while Three include some free European roaming I would think EE would limit you to the UK. At least with pre-paid you won't come home to a large bill. You could still afford another prepay sim from a European wide network.

**added for any UK visitors, also look at 'Three':
he6uhenu.jpg

ybahe2am.jpg

zusy8epe.jpg

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

RickSchlegel

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the input --- it sounds like I can be confident my US N3 will work in Europe, I should expect a big bill if I stay with the VZ sim, and the best approach will be to swap into a prepaid local sim while I'm there. Sadly, no UK stops this trip --- Germany, Czech Repub, Hungary and Austria. Anyone with local carrier experiences in these countries, please chime in - and thanks very much in advance.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the input --- it sounds like I can be confident my US N3 will work in Europe, I should expect a big bill if I stay with the VZ sim, and the best approach will be to swap into a prepaid local sim while I'm there. Sadly, no UK stops this trip --- Germany, Czech Repub, Hungary and Austria. Anyone with local carrier experiences in these countries, please chime in - and thanks very much in advance.

I agree with Madd and dpham the best option would be to get a local sim for where you will be. Verizon used to have a decent international package (5 yrs or so ago) but from what I've seen them offer the last few yrs it's been pretty crappy - for my needs anyway. That's why I went the sim card route.

Someone else had posted a sim card or carrier to use whilst travelling not that long ago - Madd I think you may have copied that info into another posting like this recently? Correct me if I'm wrong ...it's 8 am and I've had all of about 90 mins sleep haha.

Recently the European Union voted for net neutrality which includes stopping roaming fees set by companies. Unfortunately it won't come into effect until about 2016. But, if you plan to make more European trips in the future it may mean that you would just have to purchase one sim as opposed to one for each country. Here is an article if you're interested.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics...arliament-adopts-net-neutrality-law-1-3363883

Have a wonderful trip! I loved all the places you are visiting, went there whilst travelling Europe when I was 18 - especially loved Austria :)

Sarks.

digieditny

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
I own a Galaxy Note 3 version SM-N9005. It's from Verizon. I am moving to Prague from the US, I have plans on getting a local plan out there with talk, text and internet ( Vodafone, O2, etc...). Can I use my Galaxy note 3 version SM-N9005 with a carrier out in europe specifically Czech Republic with no problems?

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Note 3 is the 900v. And the Verizon Variant can be used in gsm networks, though you would have to change the apn for data

Sent from my Verizon Moto G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz