Set Warranty Bit : kernel

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

This afternoon a prompt for a Software update appeared, I okayed it without thinking twice. Then it auto shut down for a reboot and never came back up. Its is stuck on boot screen with yellow writing top left Set Warranty Bit : kernel

I can't use the phone at all. Please could you help!! :(

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
For whatever reason it appears the update that you agreed to has corrupted your boot.

My only advice is to download odin on your pc.

Make sure when you connect your Note 3 to your pc the correct drivers are installed (in odin their will either be a solid green or blue status bar).

Go to Sammobile to get the correct firmware for your specific device.

Open odin, connect your device (make sure your in download mode first, by holding power,home, volume down for a few seconds, then press volume up.

Place the file in AP and flash.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Very strange. Are you rooted? If not, you have two choices: a) take the phone back and get a new one (probably a refurb actually) or b) use Odin as Duncan said, to get back to stock.

Don't worry, it's not hard to do and we'll help you through the process if you need help.

MuskaanS

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I need desperate help as I feel Samsung is cheating me with charging for a problem that should be covered in my warranty. I got the exact same message for my S5 that I bought a month ago- bit warranty Kernel. And now there are saying that a new software has been installed in my phone which has voided my warranty and ruined my phone.. and that I ll have to pay almost 1/3 of the price i brought it for.. i am super upset about this as its not a cheap phone and now they are blaming for some software issues in the phone.. which I dont think has anything to do with me. Please advise how i should apprach this as I am not a savvy person with technology and i feel they are taking advantage of that..

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I need desperate help as I feel Samsung is cheating me with charging for a problem that should be covered in my warranty. I got the exact same message for my S5 that I bought a month ago- bit warranty Kernel. And now there are saying that a new software has been installed in my phone which has voided my warranty and ruined my phone.. and that I ll have to pay almost 1/3 of the price i brought it for.. i am super upset about this as its not a cheap phone and now they are blaming for some software issues in the phone.. which I dont think has anything to do with me. Please advise how i should apprach this as I am not a savvy person with technology and i feel they are taking advantage of that..

Did you already send the phone to them? Can you get into download mode?

Josegama

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The exact thing happened to me today in London. Samsung voided my warranty telling me that i downloaded a software! I have the phone for 40 days only! It never worked well by the way.

Robin Skaggs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my Sprint S5. I've tried going back to stock firmware and it's still getting stuck on the sprint GS5 startup screen with the set warranty bit: kernel at the top. I tried to just flash the stock kernel in Odin and get a md5 binary error.
After flashing the stock firmware I had a recovery error, so I flashed philz and the it went back to the set warranty but: kernel.
I had my phone in my pocket and when I took it out it was on the GS5 startup screen with the kernel message, so I'm not even sure how it got to that screen.
Any help would be much appreciated

Omar Alrawi1

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey All, I just got the SET WARRANTY BIT : KERNEL at a very important time where I needed my phone the most! This is so frustrating, I have had the phone for 30 days only and it is the worse phone I have owned so far! Samsung S5, NEVER AGAIN!!! two brands off my list, HP and SUMSUNG

khanandroid

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thats imposible.
When you are in set warranty bit: Kernel mode you cant enter to download mode by pressing
volume down power and menu... so... ¿What can I do?

Thanks

Marco Lopez4

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I just got my phone yesterday and it started acting funny rebooting and what not, then this morning it just got the load up screen showing just the Note4 android black screen with a yellow lettering on the top left corner saying set warranty bit kernel WTF so disappointed in this, my note 2 had zero issues, and expected a lot more from the Note 4. i keep Rebooting it with the down volume home button and on/off button and it seems to fix it for a while. Going to sprint today hopefully they have one on hand to swap out with.:mad:

bebseh

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello

has anyone found a solution for this error ?
I am having the same thing with my MEGA.

Even recovery wont boot. I get the yellow message and phone keeps on rebooting.

I flashed the stock rom again with odin but still the same.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you flashed the ROM, it's your problem. Your carrier may help you, if you play dumb and tell them it happened after an update. Which is why you should let them update the phone (over the air). Then if anything goes wrong, it's their problem to fix or replace the phone.

Soham Makwana

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
The same happened with me when I installed a rom in my grand 2 , I was stuck on the Brand logo
Then I wiped all data/cache partition
Then I installed another rom and flashed the device (I hope you know how to flash, if you don't then ask me ! :p)
Everything seemed to be working fine then.
I would recommend you to install the stock rom and unroot your device if possible !
Hope it helps ! :)

Feemy82

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I am not the only person here with this issue.

My phone started to reboot randomly since 2 weeks ago. No apps were downloaded from the Google Play Store that weren't already there. I've had the Note 4 for 10 months now, with no issues, until now.

So I sent my phone into CRC Samsung repair centre in Surrey Quays (London). They flashed the phone at the store and told me that it was taking a long time to boot, so they kept it for 2 days (Tues 4th Aug - Thurs 6th Aug) and said they would replace the motherboard. It is very important to note here that Samsung will only replace the motherboard if the phone still has the 2 warranty. They checked this at the time, and indeed, it was still under the 24 month warranty i.e the phone had not been rooted etc.

I get the phone back 2 days later with the motherboard replaced. At the store on day of collection, I noticed that my Android version was 4.4.4, but my phone had 5.0.1 installed when I gave it in. At this point, the warranty was still existing. I gave the phone back to the assistant at the service centre to update my phone to 5.0.1, I went home.and my phone starts doing the rebooting procedure again, except on one of the occasions I got the message "Kernal is not seandroid enforcing. Set warranty bit: Kernal". So I called them up the following day and they said bring it in again.

So I went back to them on Monday 10th Aug 2015, and the said one of the apps I had installed off the Google Play Store was causing the reboots. I was shocked because there have not been any apps installed that were already on there before this issue began. So they ran my phone in Safe Mode, and lo and behold, the phone began to reboot in front of them at the store. So they took it the back room and the lady comes back with the manager, my phone in her hand, and the phone is rebooting again. But this time, it has some writing in the top corner saying the phone has been rooted. The said to me that I had rooted the phone.

I was in complete and utter disbelief. I do not know how to root a phone, and the manager at the store was suggesting I had downloaded an app off the Google Play Store that had magically rooted the phone?!?!?! Is that even possible. Are they out of their mind? As far as I'm concerned, the only way to root a phone is to connect to some software that is downloaded and connected via usb. The only USB cable that I have attached to my phone ever, is for charging purposes. Yet, here they were suggesting I had (within a 4 day period) rooted my phone. They never even gave me an explanation as to how an app could do that, which suggests to me it's a load of porky pies. They know what apps I have on my phone. I have never downloaded any malicious apps: they have all been off the Google Play Store and used by hundreds of millions of people. So now, instead of having the initial problem of my phone rebooting, I now have the problem of Samsung voiding my phone of warranty. I stand firm and say that I would NOT want to void my warranty within a 4 day timeframe. It's not logical. I want my full 24 month warranty, why would I suddenly decide I want to void it.

I have done some research on forums and I have learnt that during an update, if the incorrect kernel is installed during an update, it can "root" the phone. My suggestion to the service centre was that during the update on the 6th Aug, they have installed an update (and hence a kernel) that has cuased the phone to be rooted and hence I'm getting the above set warranty bit message, therefore resulting in the warranty being void.

It's worth noting also, that in the about Device section, the SE for android status does say 'Enforcing' which means my device is actively protected from security threats and malicious apps will be denied access. Hence the KNOX warranty isn't void, right? Can anyone shine light on that fact?

I have escalated this issue with Samsung because the repair centre are not willing to be accountable for this mess. I will say it until I'm blue in the face that I have not rooted the phone either by using laptop software, or by downloading any app from the Google Play Store which will root the phone. I'm sure Google have standrds which developers have to adhere to in order to get their apps on the Play Store. So now I'm left with a phone that Samsung will not touch because its been rooted by them, and I'm waiting 48 hours for the escalation team to investigate and get back to me.

I will knock on every door until my phone is fixed (which the Samsung engineer was doubtful of). So it looks like the phone will be replaced, and I will even go to Watchdog if I have to. All customer service seem to do is pass you on back to the service centre, and it's like playing pass the back.
The engineer seems to think they can pull wool over my eyes, but I have spoken to engineers at EE and the Samsung Customer support, who both laughed when they heard when I told them that they think an app from the Play Store has caused my phone to be rooted. Unbelievable!!!

OneZebra

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad I am not the only person here with this issue.

My phone started to reboot randomly since 2 weeks ago. No apps were downloaded from the Google Play Store that weren't already there. I've had the Note 4 for 10 months now, with no issues, until now.

So I sent my phone into CRC Samsung repair centre in Surrey Quays (London). They flashed the phone at the store and told me that it was taking a long time to boot, so they kept it for 2 days (Tues 4th Aug - Thurs 6th Aug) and said they would replace the motherboard. It is very important to note here that Samsung will only replace the motherboard if the phone still has the 2 warranty. They checked this at the time, and indeed, it was still under the 24 month warranty i.e the phone had not been rooted etc.

I get the phone back 2 days later with the motherboard replaced. At the store on day of collection, I noticed that my Android version was 4.4.4, but my phone had 5.0.1 installed when I gave it in. At this point, the warranty was still existing. I gave the phone back to the assistant at the service centre to update my phone to 5.0.1, I went home.and my phone starts doing the rebooting procedure again, except on one of the occasions I got the message "Kernal is not seandroid enforcing. Set warranty bit: Kernal". So I called them up the following day and they said bring it in again.

So I went back to them on Monday 10th Aug 2015, and the said one of the apps I had installed off the Google Play Store was causing the reboots. I was shocked because there have not been any apps installed that were already on there before this issue began. So they ran my phone in Safe Mode, and lo and behold, the phone began to reboot in front of them at the store. So they took it the back room and the lady comes back with the manager, my phone in her hand, and the phone is rebooting again. But this time, it has some writing in the top corner saying the phone has been rooted. The said to me that I had rooted the phone.

I was in complete and utter disbelief. I do not know how to root a phone, and the manager at the store was suggesting I had downloaded an app off the Google Play Store that had magically rooted the phone?!?!?! Is that even possible. Are they out of their mind? As far as I'm concerned, the only way to root a phone is to connect to some software that is downloaded and connected via usb. The only USB cable that I have attached to my phone ever, is for charging purposes. Yet, here they were suggesting I had (within a 4 day period) rooted my phone. They never even gave me an explanation as to how an app could do that, which suggests to me it's a load of porky pies. They know what apps I have on my phone. I have never downloaded any malicious apps: they have all been off the Google Play Store and used by hundreds of millions of people. So now, instead of having the initial problem of my phone rebooting, I now have the problem of Samsung voiding my phone of warranty. I stand firm and say that I would NOT want to void my warranty within a 4 day timeframe. It's not logical. I want my full 24 month warranty, why would I suddenly decide I want to void it.

I have done some research on forums and I have learnt that during an update, if the incorrect kernel is installed during an update, it can "root" the phone. My suggestion to the service centre was that during the update on the 6th Aug, they have installed an update (and hence a kernel) that has cuased the phone to be rooted and hence I'm getting the above set warranty bit message, therefore resulting in the warranty being void.

It's worth noting also, that in the about Device section, the SE for android status does say 'Enforcing' which means my device is actively protected from security threats and malicious apps will be denied access. Hence the KNOX warranty isn't void, right? Can anyone shine light on that fact?

I have escalated this issue with Samsung because the repair centre are not willing to be accountable for this mess. I will say it until I'm blue in the face that I have not rooted the phone either by using laptop software, or by downloading any app from the Google Play Store which will root the phone. I'm sure Google have standrds which developers have to adhere to in order to get their apps on the Play Store. So now I'm left with a phone that Samsung will not touch because its been rooted by them, and I'm waiting 48 hours for the escalation team to investigate and get back to me.

I will knock on every door until my phone is fixed (which the Samsung engineer was doubtful of). So it looks like the phone will be replaced, and I will even go to Watchdog if I have to. All customer service seem to do is pass you on back to the service centre, and it's like playing pass the back.
The engineer seems to think they can pull wool over my eyes, but I have spoken to engineers at EE and the Samsung Customer support, who both laughed when they heard when I told them that they think an app from the Play Store has caused my phone to be rooted. Unbelievable!!!

I believe you. The same thing is happening to my galaxy note 4! I have not rooted my device either. It happened after the update. Nothing but PROBLEMS since! First, it began by randomly restarting. Then it stated turning off and refusing to come back on. Then it started booting up to a screen with the android dude logo and strange DOS like language in the upper left screen. Things about roots, kernels, Odin,etc.

I don't know what any of that means. It would have a message in the bottom center that would either say it was downloading something and not to interrupt it shut down or it would say it was uploading or updating our installing something I honestly can't remember.

The point is, no matter how long I wait on these phony boot /startup screens, it wasn't booting, it was frozen. Each time I had to take the battery out, try again, get the goofy boot screen a few more times, and eventually it would just start normally again. Then it got to the point that instead of randomly it randomly turned off and would not come back on. No tricks worked. Randomly, it would come back on, when it decided to let me turn it on, sometimes hours later! Unacceptable!

Now, it's not charging properly, sometimes it won't charge at all, and the battery drains SUPER FAST! I have tried all the different charging combinations to make sure it was the phone problem and not a USB cord, outlet, charging box, etc, etc. I use the fast charger and charge in ULTRA POWER SAVING mode, where it goes into gray scale, and it's taking over an hour to charge 10% more in that mode connected to the fast charger. With another regular new charger it takes 2 hours to get 10% more charged. But when I unplug it to use it, it drains at a rate of about 1% per minute! It will hold the battery slightly longer in ULTRA POWER SAVING mode, but not by much.

I don't know how to root my device, I have 3 different Antivirus/ Malware scanners/ detectors on my device and one of them checks everything I download and tells me it's safe before I open it. If I knew how to root my device, and if I had rooted my device, why would I have updated the device?

My understanding of rooting devices is that you do it to customize it and thar wouldn't be very easy to do on the newest upgraded version, now would it?

Samsung or Sprint has screwed up majorly, and I thin they know it by now, but they're content with BLAMING their customers who are paying a lot money for these devices that are practically useless.

They better nutup and accept responsibility and fix it, recall them, replace them, or I think we'll have to start bringing individual or class action lawsuits against them, whoever is liable, probably both if neither is willing to accommodate the customer with a comparable service to use with the service we're also paying a lot of money for!

My monthly phone plan with Sprint, with 4 people on the account, 3 with upgraded phones we're still paying on (these Note 4's included) is more than the monthly rent for my studio vacation apartment in Las Vegas, NV! That's a hell of a ripoff for 3 out of 4 phones in our network taking a major crap on us on the daily!

I want this fixed. I've been dealing with this jacked up phone long enough. I'm done. They better do something quick! I don't even own a computer to backup my stuff on my phone (or root a device if that's required like you mentioned?), so backing up is not an option for me. All I have is my tablet that I'm on right now, my phone would have died before I could have finished posting this, and my crappy phone.

My tablet is also a Galaxy, I keep trying to avoid the update and hope it isn't able to update without permissions because then I will have NOTHING to use or to connect online with! That would be especially sad for me because all my schooling is done online, I'm disabled so it's the majority of my social contact with the outside world, and I homeschool my children using information from the Internet and streaming lessons to the TV. This is more than a minor inconvenience!

Sorry for the long rant. But I HOPE SAMSUNG & SPRINT SEES THESE POSTS AND OWNS UP TO THEIR MISTAKE and whichever of them whose fault it is admits it and does something to make it right with us, QUICKLY! ! If they'd like to get in touch with me, they can find me on Twitter with the handle SpitefulLadies, follow me so they can message me, and we can get this fixed up. I think I'm going to take to contacting them on twitter and Facebook and wherever they have online presence until I get some reasonable solutions from them.

Please post a followup comment if you've been able to get your issue resolved, with whom you were able to get help, what they did to help you, anything you recommended others do to get help, and so on. I will do the same. If you don't hear back from me, assume I never got a reasonable solution and I'll be looking into legal action for remedy, and you can find me on Twitter too!

Feemy82

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I believe you. The same thing is happening to my galaxy note 4! I have not rooted my device either. It happened after the update. Nothing but PROBLEMS since! First, it began by randomly restarting. Then it stated turning off and refusing to come back on. Then it started booting up to a screen with the android dude logo and strange DOS like language in the upper left screen. Things about roots, kernels, Odin,etc.

I don't know what any of that means. It would have a message in the bottom center that would either say it was downloading something and not to interrupt it shut down or it would say it was uploading or updating our installing something I honestly can't remember.

The point is, no matter how long I wait on these phony boot /startup screens, it wasn't booting, it was frozen. Each time I had to take the battery out, try again, get the goofy boot screen a few more times, and eventually it would just start normally again. Then it got to the point that instead of randomly it randomly turned off and would not come back on. No tricks worked. Randomly, it would come back on, when it decided to let me turn it on, sometimes hours later! Unacceptable!

Now, it's not charging properly, sometimes it won't charge at all, and the battery drains SUPER FAST! I have tried all the different charging combinations to make sure it was the phone problem and not a USB cord, outlet, charging box, etc, etc. I use the fast charger and charge in ULTRA POWER SAVING mode, where it goes into gray scale, and it's taking over an hour to charge 10% more in that mode connected to the fast charger. With another regular new charger it takes 2 hours to get 10% more charged. But when I unplug it to use it, it drains at a rate of about 1% per minute! It will hold the battery slightly longer in ULTRA POWER SAVING mode, but not by much.

I don't know how to root my device, I have 3 different Antivirus/ Malware scanners/ detectors on my device and one of them checks everything I download and tells me it's safe before I open it. If I knew how to root my device, and if I had rooted my device, why would I have updated the device?

My understanding of rooting devices is that you do it to customize it and thar wouldn't be very easy to do on the newest upgraded version, now would it?

Samsung or Sprint has screwed up majorly, and I thin they know it by now, but they're content with BLAMING their customers who are paying a lot money for these devices that are practically useless.

They better nutup and accept responsibility and fix it, recall them, replace them, or I think we'll have to start bringing individual or class action lawsuits against them, whoever is liable, probably both if neither is willing to accommodate the customer with a comparable service to use with the service we're also paying a lot of money for!

My monthly phone plan with Sprint, with 4 people on the account, 3 with upgraded phones we're still paying on (these Note 4's included) is more than the monthly rent for my studio vacation apartment in Las Vegas, NV! That's a hell of a ripoff for 3 out of 4 phones in our network taking a major crap on us on the daily!

I want this fixed. I've been dealing with this jacked up phone long enough. I'm done. They better do something quick! I don't even own a computer to backup my stuff on my phone (or root a device if that's required like you mentioned?), so backing up is not an option for me. All I have is my tablet that I'm on right now, my phone would have died before I could have finished posting this, and my crappy phone.

My tablet is also a Galaxy, I keep trying to avoid the update and hope it isn't able to update without permissions because then I will have NOTHING to use or to connect online with! That would be especially sad for me because all my schooling is done online, I'm disabled so it's the majority of my social contact with the outside world, and I homeschool my children using information from the Internet and streaming lessons to the TV. This is more than a minor inconvenience!

Sorry for the long rant. But I HOPE SAMSUNG & SPRINT SEES THESE POSTS AND OWNS UP TO THEIR MISTAKE and whichever of them whose fault it is admits it and does something to make it right with us, QUICKLY! ! If they'd like to get in touch with me, they can find me on Twitter with the handle SpitefulLadies, follow me so they can message me, and we can get this fixed up. I think I'm going to take to contacting them on twitter and Facebook and wherever they have online presence until I get some reasonable solutions from them.

Please post a followup comment if you've been able to get your issue resolved, with whom you were able to get help, what they did to help you, anything you recommended others do to get help, and so on. I will do the same. If you don't hear back from me, assume I never got a reasonable solution and I'll be looking into legal action for remedy, and you can find me on Twitter too!
I understand your situation. It's really frustrating. It's definitely a Samsung issue, and most probably a software one because I had my motherboard replaced and it still happened.
After weeks of arguing my case with Samsung to replace/fix it, they refused because the snidey pricks rooted my phone, but BLAMING ME! I have therefore refused to buy another Samsung phone. I have an LG G4 and "Life's Good!". This phone is a lot faster, doesn't lag like the Note 4 did, and it's just a pleasure to use. TouchWiz is just too bloaty and RAM hungry. LG UI is awesome! LG and Google partnered up really well and have done a stellar job of optimising this phone with Android. Changing apps is quick through the recent apps list. No lag unlike Note 4. Also, no lag when scrolling through pages (Internet browsing etc). With Note 4, there was lag more often than not.

If I were you, I would go to the shop you bought the phone from and ask for compensation. I did that, and the company i bought the phone off eventually agreed to give me £200 cash, or £300 Amazon vouchers. I went with the latter.
But Samsung customer service has been appalling. They don't deserve a penny from me

str8goods

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem. You have to be persistent and adamant that you know nothing about it. I had an s3 that I did screw up. Told them I had no clue and I own several Samsung products as well as many friends with their products. I threatened to inform everyone I could through social media regarding the poor customer service and that they were basically calling me a liar. They escalated the call and told me they would do a one time "favour" . Also make sure you tell them to wave any shipping fees because it usually goes to a contractor to repair.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

asko169

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,

This afternoon a prompt for a Software update appeared, I okayed it without thinking twice. Then it auto shut down for a reboot and never came back up. Its is stuck on boot screen with yellow writing top left Set Warranty Bit : kernel

I can't use the phone at all. Please could you help!! :(

Hi There ,
I have same problem with my "Japanese' version of Samsung Galaxy - S5 SCL23, can someone help me please as i tried downloading firmware at SAMs mobile that took ages - only to be useless :( Please HELP

FlegoFire

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Very strange. Are you rooted? If not, you have two choices: a) take the phone back and get a new one (probably a refurb actually) or b) use Odin as Duncan said, to get back to stock.

Don't worry, it's not hard to do and we'll help you through the process if you need help.

What I did is that I left it on charge all day and it came back on