UK note 3 users. wifi problem with virgin media router

nian zhang

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I sent my note 3 (sim free n9005) to repair one month ago because a sensor didn't work (another story). Now the sensor problem has been fixed. But there is another issue. The wifi keeps dropping. I mean wifi is completely turned off on my phone, then it tries to turn on, and off again... I have googled a while,it's not the wifi is slow, it's the wifi is completely turned off then it tries to turn it on, and keeps turning on and off. At first it happens occasionally and it can be turned on. Until several days ago, wifi could not be turned on at all. If I go into setting - connection - wifi, I will see it says 'turning on' but nothing happens. Reboot helps sometimes but the issue soon reappear. I did factory reset but no use. I would think it's the phone's problem. But When I go outside and test in public wifi (university wifi, MacDonald etc), it got no problem at all. So I began to think maybe there is something with the router. So I turned off my router, the wifi is turned on immediately and I can see all the wifi connections from my neighbours.

My router is virgin media netgear vmdg485 (100M fiber optical). I googled it, it seems specially made for Virgin media. It's a modem/router all-in-one device. Just wondering has anyone else got similar experience? B.T.W all other devices in my home connect to the wifi no problem at all. I think they may have upgraded my android software on the repair. I never had this problem before the repair. But android is the latest version (checked in settings). So I don't know what option I have on software side. Probably I need to try a new router?

And also I have tried everything I found on Internet (turn off switch network etc in advanced setting in wifi. turn off power saving for wifi, disable wifi direct/share, etc).

Last edited:

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with a Netgear router a while ago, but with a HTC One X. My wifi kept dropping randomly and continually said 'connecting' until I rebooted my router and mobile to fix it.

I did three things in an attempt to sort it:
Gave the mobile a static IP
Changed the broadcast channel on the router
Upgraded the router firmware

One or more of those worked as the problem went away.

nian zhang

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue with a Netgear router a while ago, but with a HTC One X. My wifi kept dropping randomly and continually said 'connecting' until I rebooted my router and mobile to fix it.

I did three things in an attempt to sort it:
Gave the mobile a static IP
Changed the broadcast channel on the router
Upgraded the router firmware

One or more of those worked as the problem went away.

Thanks. Tried first two. Not working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol