2014 and were still getting 32gb

waz ahmer

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
If we were to buy a 2.3ghz quad core cpu 3GB ram on a laptop im sure we would get a 500GB hard drive on it. So my question to mobile phone manufacturers why do you give us only 16 or 32GB storage I dont understand the rest of the spec is great but the memory is terrible. ...

Ulimate Note 3

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is most people don't need more storage or want it. So those of is that do kind of get stuck with it. Unfortunately the majority rules when it comes to what is made.

I would love more storage but I do get why this is happening.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Part of it is space, part of it is keeping costs down and I think we are all grateful that it's flash storage instead of spinning HDDs. I completely agree that we need to start seeing larger options, but OEM's seem to be telling us that even when they put out the larger versions, most consumers still buy whatever the cheapest version is. A little over a year ago an article was released saying that we'd overcome the 64GB limitation on a single chip and iPads already had 128GB versions on those, so we know it's possible.. but are people going to pay a $100-300 premium for that, especially when we've been becoming more acclimated to an "all your data everywhere" cloud style for a few years now? Costs will go down when demand goes up and demand will go up as costs go down. We need a catalyst and it's competing against the essentially free cloud for price consideration - that's a rough place to start from.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There is something called micro SD storage. I have a 64 GB micro SD card on my Note 3, and there's a 128 GB card available.
If you get that, that'll be 160 GB of total space.... Sounds enough for me

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the 128GB card. It is nice to have so much space. The problem is the SD card only works for certain things.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the 128GB card. It is nice to have so much space. The problem is the SD card only works for certain things.

Yeah but I save all my pictures, music, books, etc on the SD card and leave the main memory for things like apps and games that won't go on the SD card

waz ahmer

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
There is something called micro SD storage. I have a 64 GB micro SD card on my Note 3, and there's a 128 GB card available.
If you get that, that'll be 160 GB of total space.... Sounds enough for me

See its people like you just dont get it have a internal storage device is important and if your buying a simfree phone for ?500 plus or on a heavy contract why are we paying more for a external sd cards

Ulimate Note 3

waz ahmer

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Plus so true games apps only work better on internal I download about 6 movies per week I cant even keep them cos of space so after a week or so I have to delete them because of space

Ulimate Note 3

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
See its people like you just dont get it have a internal storage device is important and if your buying a simfree phone for ?500 plus or on a heavy contract why are we paying more for a external sd cards

Ulimate Note 3

But I do get it. Go get an iPhone or iPad, with like 32 or 64 GB internal storage and no option for expandable storage, then come back and gripe about the Note 3 and it's little storage.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree - I have a 64gb SDHC card...and its more than enough. It was $49.99 at Costco and I could have purchased a128 had I needed more. I don't want stuff stored internally, as if something happens to the phone and I have to wipe it, I lose the internal memory storage. I use the SD card and I sync to Google Drive every so often. I suppose I could do the same with internal storage, but I don't need more than the 32GB it comes with. If I do, I use the SD card.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I do exactly the same thing. Most everything goes to the sd Card. I reserve as much of the internal storage for the phone and apps.

The problem is there is s big gap in performance and reliability between eMMC storage and a micro SD card.

What I would like to see is a new standard about storage emerge. Basically the phone os storage be built in. Then a swappable MMC module for all user related content. The module would be required for the phone to do anything. OEM could include a 8gb one, then the retailer could allow a upgrade for a small fee. Basically allow the users to pic there user storage at purchase time. The OS would be written to mount the removable MMC module to a specific space for user data. I think the OS already has user data split this way.

Project Aura could be a great example of how this could be done.

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site
If we were to buy a 2.3ghz quad core cpu 3GB ram on a laptop im sure we would get a 500GB hard drive on it. So my question to mobile phone manufacturers why do you give us only 16 or 32GB storage I dont understand the rest of the spec is great but the memory is terrible. ...

Ulimate Note 3

Can you say, "$"? I knew ya could. Is there anything, anything at all in the mobile phone industry that isn't about profit? Think about it.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Can you say, "$"? I knew ya could. Is there anything, anything at all in the mobile phone industry that isn't about profit? Think about it.

You're 100% correct. I read somewhere apple makes around 45% profit on every iPhone they sale (I could be wrong about the actual number but close to that)

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site
You're 100% correct. I read somewhere apple makes around 45% profit on every iPhone they sale (I could be wrong about the actual number but close to that)

And it's not just hardware. Take a good look at the data plans. I'd have a good laugh if it weren't so painful to pay for it. Why do they do it? Cuz people will pay, and pay, and pay. :-\

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
And it's not just hardware. Take a good look at the data plans. I'd have a good laugh if it weren't so painful to pay for it. Why do they do it? Cuz people will pay, and pay, and pay. :-\

Lol don't get me started on data plans. Thank goodness my wife and I are grandfathered into AT&T data plan, so we have unlimited data, but I love how they slow down your 4G speed after you exceed around 3gigs a month...

jakedsnake

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
For me, I keep 18 GB of music files on my SD card. Also, I have a bunch of movies and games. 32 GB of internal storage is simply not enough, specially if you're recording in HD/Full-HD.. The Kitkat update really bothers me because I can't edit the tags on my MP3s anymore if they're on the external sd card.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am glad of the 32GB internal storage of my Note 3 but I think in the case of Samsung it would be nice to have the 64GB of internal storage that Samsung had stated would be available for the Note 3. Would I fill that space, who knows ? Would I buy it if Samsung actually released that variant ? Absolutely.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Remember you are not required to post in a thread if you can not add to the discussion without calling another member out .

As shown in Rules & Guidelines:
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.

Personal Attacks or Insults to Members - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.

Link to Rules and Guidelines

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I suggest some of those participating in the discussion in this thread take time to review the Rules and Guidelines

Last edited:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
For me, I keep 18 GB of music files on my SD card. Also, I have a bunch of movies and games. 32 GB of internal storage is simply not enough, specially if you're recording in HD/Full-HD.. The Kitkat update really bothers me because I can't edit the tags on my MP3s anymore if they're on the external sd card.

You can use the stock music player to edit the Artist, Title, and Album fields of MP3 files on the SD Card. I didn't see a way to edit album art or others. Go to Details for the track and click on the pencil up top.