Is this a Samsung thing, a Note thing, an Android thing, an AT&T thing, or nothing?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
Has anyone else had......missed call issues with their note 3? I've had two people in the past three days tell me they've called me, and I have not received the call. Like it literally does not show up in call logs at all. I know that can happen when a phone is out of service, or turned off, but this was not the case in either situation. The first situation, I was texting back and forth with my husband when he decided to call me instead. It never changed screens from my texting screen, never showed that I missed a call. But to him, it rang until my voicemail picked up, at which time he hung up, and texted me and asked if I was ok and why I didn't answer the phone.

The next situation happened a little bit ago. My best friend told me she calls me, and I never knew. It doesn't show it anywhere. I'm not sure if I was in the midst of texting anyone or not when she called.

I'm on AT&T. I don't have great bars at my house, which is where I was when my husband called. In fact, the last few days, my phone has dropped signal completely a couple of times. However, I was in a more urban area this evening around the time my friend said she called.

I also know that AT&T phones have the capability to be using the phone lines and data at the same time (surfing the internet, etc). Is texting different? Could me pushing through or receiving a text at the same time block an incoming call? Not totally sure what the deal is, but I do know I don't like thinking I may be missing calls that I don't even know I received! Any help is appreciated!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had......missed call issues with their note 3? I've had two people in the past three days tell me they've called me, and I have not received the call. Like it literally does not show up in call logs at all. I know that can happen when a phone is out of service, or turned off, but this was not the case in either situation. The first situation, I was texting back and forth with my husband when he decided to call me instead. It never changed screens from my texting screen, never showed that I missed a call. But to him, it rang until my voicemail picked up, at which time he hung up, and texted me and asked if I was ok and why I didn't answer the phone.

The next situation happened a little bit ago. My best friend told me she calls me, and I never knew. It doesn't show it anywhere. I'm not sure if I was in the midst of texting anyone or not when she called.

I'm on AT&T. I don't have great bars at my house, which is where I was when my husband called. In fact, the last few days, my phone has dropped signal completely a couple of times. However, I was in a more urban area this evening around the time my friend said she called.

I also know that AT&T phones have the capability to be using the phone lines and data at the same time (surfing the internet, etc). Is texting different? Could me pushing through or receiving a text at the same time block an incoming call? Not totally sure what the deal is, but I do know I don't like thinking I may be missing calls that I don't even know I received! Any help is appreciated!

I have had that issue at home with AT&T several time, had it with my S3 and Note 2. Mine was a signal issue. I do not have great LTE signal at home nor great 3G signal at home. I don't have the issue with my Note 3, because I corrected the problem.

I went to the AT&T store, told them I was had horrible signal issues at my house and that I wanted a free microcell. Most of the store managers will give you a free one If you don't know what a microcell is, you hook it up to your internet modem and then your phone will connect to it when you are home. It is like a mini cell tower that looks like a modem.

I don't miss calls now, you can set your phones at home to connect automatically and if there is anyone else that comes to your house a lot and they have AT&T. Also, you can add someone through the computer, if they have AT&T and come to your house. Some people say they don't have data connection when they have wifi off and are connected to their microcell, but I do and it is faster than the weak LTE data I have here.

I never had the issue in this house with a non-LTE phone, it only started when I got LTE, because LTE phones will automatically go for the LTE signal and the tower that is very close to me is not LTE, so my phone jumps over it and goes for the tower that is LTE and about 2 miles past the close tower. For a long time, I would go through a lot and turn off LTE and they helped, because it would make me connect to the close tower here, but I got tired of that and asked for a free microcell. If you go to one AT&T store and they won't give you a free microcell, go to a different one and ask that store manager. If you have to end up buying one, they are only $199 and there is no monthly charge.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
That happens to me fairly often and I'm on Sprint with wifi calling/receiving enabled. Just today my mom called and left two voicemails. I didn't hear a thing and only got the notifications after I happened to reboot for something else.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
We don't have wifi calling at AT&T. When this happens like she is talking about, there is no notification (unless they leave a voicemail). It doesn't show in the call log so you don't have a missed call.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It is not a Note 3 issue. It is a bad signal and LTE issue. The Note 3 has a very good signal.

It happened with an S3,a Note 2, a friend's iPhone 5S, my family's phones that are on LTE (they are iPhones). The other 2 family members don't have the issues, but they are not LTE phones. When I had the Samsung Captivate, it was not a problem, but it was not an LTE phone.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This shouldn't have anything to do with not receiving calls but go to settings-device-call and make sure and check "incoming call notifications". This should really only change it from a pop up, half screen to full screen when you are doing something on phone but who knows, maybe there is a bug. Other than that, I would say it's a signal issue.

Posted via Android Central App

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

It's all about where you live and your carrier. I have AT&T as well but where I am, they are absolutely the best carrier around. I never have issues like what you are talking about. Now if I weer on T-Mobile, I absolutely would since their signal is like swiss cheese where I live and nearly missing in action in my house. I have no complaints about my Note at all when it comes to signal reception

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Happens to me sometimes, and yes, it's the Note 3. My office is in an urban environment where I have strong T-Mobile signal. I never missed a call with my BlackBerry Z10, but since I switched to the Note 3, I can have the phone sitting on my desk, in the same spot I've had other phones, listening to Pandora, and I get a voice-mail notification and find someone just tried to call me. No missed call in the call logs, the call just goes to voice-mail. The only thing I've changed is the phone. Yep, it's the Note.

It doesn't happen often, but I only know when someone leaves a message, so I don't know what I might have missed with no message left. It happened pre-Kit-Kat, and post Kit-Kat. It does only seem to happen when the phone is using data for something else, but that's the whole idea with a smart-phone, right?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unless im wrong what is probably happening is your not getting your GSM signal which is where the cellular calls are routed.
Remember LTE is a data only network. OUr devices have to either be connected to both GSM / LTE OR the LTE has to be set up to tell our devices an incoming call is coming in and switch to GSM.
For Example I left Sprint because of this issue. Their voice is on 1xRTT and data is on CDMA2000 EVDO AND LTE.
They are supposed to keep it on LTE and when a voice call comes in it will tell the phone to switch to 1xRTT to handshake the voice call to the phone.
If anybody remembers the older Verizon units they had dual antennas on the display. 1 was for voice and 1 was for data. This was always an awesome way to display voice quality and data quality at the same time.
Id recommend downloading an app that will give a true representation of your incoming signals. You might find that your in a strong data site and poor voice site and thus not getting calls.

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
Re: Is this a Samsung thing, a Note thing, an Android thing, an AT&T thing, or nothing?

It's all about where you live and your carrier. I have AT&T as well but where I am, they are absolutely the best carrier around. I never have issues like what you are talking about. Now if I weer on T-Mobile, I absolutely would since their signal is like swiss cheese where I live and nearly missing in action in my house. I have no complaints about my Note at all when it comes to signal reception

Thanks - I think you're right. However, I also winder about it being an LTE issue. AT&T is the biggest carrier around here, and I've had zero problems in the decade that I've used them. I don't really remember a problem until getting this phone, which I do think is my first LTE phone. It still drops out of service, which is frustrating. But what's even more frustrating is that I've had this phone since January, and it just started doing this I'm the last 2-3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had that issue at home with AT&T several time, had it with my S3 and Note 2. Mine was a signal issue. I do not have great LTE signal at home nor great 3G signal at home. I don't have the issue with my Note 3, because I corrected the problem.

I went to the AT&T store, told them I was had horrible signal issues at my house and that I wanted a free microcell. Most of the store managers will give you a free one If you don't know what a microcell is, you hook it up to your internet modem and then your phone will connect to it when you are home. It is like a mini cell tower that looks like a modem.

I don't miss calls now, you can set your phones at home to connect automatically and if there is anyone else that comes to your house a lot and they have AT&T. Also, you can add someone through the computer, if they have AT&T and come to your house. Some people say they don't have data connection when they have wifi off and are connected to their microcell, but I do and it is faster than the weak LTE data I have here.

I never had the issue in this house with a non-LTE phone, it only started when I got LTE, because LTE phones will automatically go for the LTE signal and the tower that is very close to me is not LTE, so my phone jumps over it and goes for the tower that is LTE and about 2 miles past the close tower. For a long time, I would go through a lot and turn off LTE and they helped, because it would make me connect to the close tower here, but I got tired of that and asked for a free microcell. If you go to one AT&T store and they won't give you a free microcell, go to a different one and ask that store manager. If you have to end up buying one, they are only $199 and there is no monthly charge.

Thank you, I am going to try this!

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
Re: Is this a Samsung thing, a Note thing, an Android thing, an AT&T thing, or nothing?

Happens to me sometimes, and yes, it's the Note 3. My office is in an urban environment where I have strong T-Mobile signal. I never missed a call with my BlackBerry Z10, but since I switched to the Note 3, I can have the phone sitting on my desk, in the same spot I've had other phones, listening to Pandora, and I get a voice-mail notification and find someone just tried to call me. No missed call in the call logs, the call just goes to voice-mail. The only thing I've changed is the phone. Yep, it's the Note.

It doesn't happen often, but I only know when someone leaves a message, so I don't know what I might have missed with no message left. It happened pre-Kit-Kat, and post Kit-Kat. It does only seem to happen when the phone is using data for something else, but that's the whole idea with a smart-phone, right?

Exactly! Now, I only know about two specific instances in which I missed calls. If it's happened at other times and no one has told me, I don't know if I was using data or not. Goofy question - does wifi count as data? In the sense that I was not actually using AT&T's network for the data because I was connected to my home wifi when I missed my husbands call. Also, mine only happened post KK, but it was not an immediate problem. I've had KK for a while now and this is a fairly recent problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless im wrong what is probably happening is your not getting your GSM signal which is where the cellular calls are routed.
Remember LTE is a data only network. OUr devices have to either be connected to both GSM / LTE OR the LTE has to be set up to tell our devices an incoming call is coming in and switch to GSM.
For Example I left Sprint because of this issue. Their voice is on 1xRTT and data is on CDMA2000 EVDO AND LTE.
They are supposed to keep it on LTE and when a voice call comes in it will tell the phone to switch to 1xRTT to handshake the voice call to the phone.
If anybody remembers the older Verizon units they had dual antennas on the display. 1 was for voice and 1 was for data. This was always an awesome way to display voice quality and data quality at the same time.
Id recommend downloading an app that will give a true representation of your incoming signals. You might find that your in a strong data site and poor voice site and thus not getting calls.

This makes a lot of sense. Do you happen to know an app that would show me both signals?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010

Update: I just looked up the AT&T coverage map. According to the map, I live in the "best" coverage area for voice, and in the "4GLTE" area for data. However, when I am home, my phone only has the smallest bar, and NEVER says LTE - that only shows up when I'm closer to downtown (I live exactly five miles from my state's capital).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But you are a could be like mine. It's only a small area in the middle of very good coverage. How many bars do you have at home?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
But you are a could be like mine. It's only a small area in the middle of very good coverage. How many bars do you have at home?

I think you may be exactly right. The coverage map shows the best coverage, but here's a screen shot of my signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1401132476982.jpg
    1401132476982.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 17

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup, looks like the same problem I have. The map here shows great coverage also. Go ask one of the store managers for a free microcell, tell them you have no coverage since you bought an LTE phone, show them the screenshot.

j0celyn

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
This would happen with me and my S4. I also wouldn't receive voicemails until 30 minutes later, and it still happens with the Note 3 I just got 2 weeks ago. My family will say that they called me and then they got my voicemail, but I won't get the notification for either one.

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just to mention, with my Note 3, I have never had this problem; for the record, I am on att and have great lte coverage. Daily, I use data and voice simultaneously and never a dropped connection. Also, no one has ever told me that they called and it not being in the logs. Going on 8 months usage.

Sounds like a location problem with no easy resolution.