Multi Window

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
There are only a dozen apps or so that appear in the Multi-Window screen options. Is that it? Is there no way to add apps?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
App developers can write their apps to use multiwindow. I have over 50 apps in there. Samsung has opened it to any app that wants to use it. It's up to the devs.

Someone on the Verizon forums said they think Verizon has done something to limit this but I don't have a Verizon phone and don't know if that is true. It would be strange for them to be blocking this particular function that Samsung has made open.

I believe you are not rooted (neither am I) but rooted phones can add a hook to apps that have not been written for multiwindow that will allow them access to it.

There is also an app for non-rooted phones that can allow you to add some (not all and not even most) apps to multiwindow but it requires backing up, uninstalling, and reinstalling the app and repeating this every time the app updates so I don't use it. If anyone wants to look into it though it is called MW-Pen App Enabler and I believe for the multiwindow part you may need the paid version.

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
My S3 was rooted and I really liked being able to add any app I wanted to multiwindow. Why does Samsung limit a good feature? Makes no sense...

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, well that may be true, however, it doesn't help the average user, like me. I'm not going to start coding for Android. All I want is to be able to add more apps to the Mult-Window view and there's no easy way, unless I root the device.

So let me see if I get this -

If I want to keep the stock ROM, I have to write code in my app to make it Multi-Window aware or, if I root the device, I can just add them at will..

SamDung - you're a bunch of dumb(inappropriate language edited by Moderator) morons!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's not about the user writing code. It's about app developers writing literally a couple lines of code into their apps. If you want an app in multi window, contact the dev. It's an easy thing for them to do. Samsung has made everything available to them and made it very easy.

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
It's not about the user writing code. It's about app developers writing literally a couple lines of code into their apps. If you want an app in multi window, contact the dev. It's an easy thing for them to do. Samsung has made everything available to them and made it very easy.

It's a lot easier if Samsung just allowed what a rooted phone plus the playstore app does. App writers are making apps for Android, not one particular phone brands specific feature. Just out of the box, any app should be able to be added. If a root and simple market app allows that, then Samsung could allowed for it too.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's a lot easier if Samsung just allowed what a rooted phone plus the playstore app does. App writers are making apps for Android, not one particular phone brands specific feature. Just out of the box, any app should be able to be added. If a root and simple market app allows that, then Samsung could allowed for it too.

The rooted way of doing this is a hack that forces data that does not exist in the app. Of course Samsung is not going to do this. It is outrageous to suggest they should do such a thing. I would certainly not buy a phone from any company that would. That is no way to write software. It is up to the devs to enable support and this is a dev's job.

This is also not a minor feature from a minor manufacturer. It is well worth it to devs to add support. Many devs have already added support - like I said i have over 50 apps on my phone alone with support - and any dev can add this in literally one minute. It's their responsibly to work with the framework and they have been given full access to the sdk and step by step directions. It is not up to Samsung to force hacks into apps and into the OS.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Someone on the Verizon forums said they think Verizon has done something to limit this but I don't have a Verizon phone and don't know if that is true. It would be strange for them to be blocking this particular function that Samsung has made open.

This started because Verizon was first to add Multiwindow support to the Galaxy Note 2, but they hadn't finished testing all the apps when they released it. So we Verizon users were missing a few apps. This led to rumors that Verizon was limiting use of the feature to limit data use. A month or so later they came out with an update that contained all the apps that were on the other carriers, and the rumors were put to rest.

Why does Samsung limit a good feature? Makes no sense...

I think they limit the feature because not all apps will work well in a non standard aspect ratio, and not all apps support changing their resolution on the fly, and not all apps support continuing to function when they lose focus.

I think Samsung didn't want to introduce this feature and then have a lot of people complaining that it didn't work well, when it was really an application issue when it didn't work. They made it easy for apps to say "Yes, I work with multiwindow", but they made app developers verify it.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The rooted way of doing this is a hack that forces data that does not exist in the app. Of course Samsung is not going to do this. It is outrageous to suggest they should do such a thing. I would certainly not buy a phone from any company that would. That is no way to write software. It is up to the devs to enable support and this is a dev's job.

This is also not a minor feature from a minor manufacturer. It is well worth it to devs to add support. Many devs have already added support - like I said i have over 50 apps on my phone alone with support - and any dev can add this in literally one minute. It's their responsibly to work with the framework and they have been given full access to the sdk and step by step directions. It is not up to Samsung to force hacks into apps and into the OS.
You may have over 50 apps that support it, but many of the most basic OEM and Android built in apps don't like Chrome for example.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You may have over 50 apps that support it, but many of the most basic OEM and Android built in apps don't like Chrome for example.

Chrome absolutely does support multi window.

Here, I took a screenshot.
Screenshot_2014-06-05-03-41-05.jpg

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There are a small handful of d/l apps that appear in mine. I disabled Chome, but it was there. I may have removed it from MW myself.

4u6y6u4u.jpg

y5a3a7a8.jpg

Also Maps, Gmail and You Tube not shown.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Chrome definitely does support multiwindow on my Verizon GN3. I use it all the time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Only two of my downloaded apps work with multiwindow. So either I downloaded from dumb developers, or they don't give a crap about Samsung's multiwindow feature. I'm guessing it's the latter. When there is a Knox proof S5 root available I will then do what the developers and Samsung failed to do. It's really not a big deal. But to suggest I contact dev and ask them to please write in a code for me. F *-that, tell Samsung to do it.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The rooted way of doing this is a hack that forces data that does not exist in the app. Of course Samsung is not going to do this. It is outrageous to suggest they should do such a thing.

This is actually a bit of an overstatement. All the hack does is tell the MultiWindow sub-system that the app will work correctly in a split screen.

Samsung could have done the same thing without touching any of the apps by just making the default for Multiwindow that all apps work.

I assume they didn't do this because some apps do not work well under MW and Samsung would have gotten flack for the problems. This way, the developers make the changes (if needed) to get the app to work, and then they publish an update with the "Multiwindow compatible" flag turned on.

Most developers never bothered to do this because MW never really caught on as a selling point. Still, its a pretty useful function, and except for a few games, all of my apps that I would want to use it in support it.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I stand corrected. After editing the MW - I did find Chrome and most of the other apps I needed! Thanks for all the helpful replies!

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a relative noob to android and recently got the Note 3 (coming from a Z10) - since the OP's question was answered and this thread is titled "Multi Window", I had a question that I was hoping you gents could clarify...before I upgraded to KitKat, when I would click on links within an email for example, I would get the browser to open as a second window under the email (on the same screen but on the bottom half) with a round blue dot which when clicked would give options (switch priority, open in full screen etc). Ever since I upgraded to KitKat, that option does not always show up. It does show up when I long press the back button. Am I doing something wrong or is this the new way its supposed to work in Kit Kat?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm a relative noob to android and recently got the Note 3 (coming from a Z10) - since the OP's question was answered and this thread is titled "Multi Window", I had a question that I was hoping you gents could clarify...before I upgraded to KitKat, when I would click on links within an email for example, I would get the browser to open as a second window under the email (on the same screen but on the bottom half) with a round blue dot which when clicked would give options (switch priority, open in full screen etc). Ever since I upgraded to KitKat, that option does not always show up. It does show up when I long press the back button. Am I doing something wrong or is this the new way its supposed to work in Kit Kat?

Settings - Device - Multi window - check Open in multi window view

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power