Galaxy S5 Prime to have metal back, sign of things to come?

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
For the next Note? Hope so.. A metal back would be great.

I don't understand why you would want a metal back.
It would transfer heat, it would dent and scratch easily,
metal doesn't really feel good,
shows smudges and fingerprints.
I just don't think that's a good thing. I like maybe a soft vinyl or rubberized back.
But who cares....you're going to cover it with a case!😂

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Metal doesn't belong on a phone. Adds weight. Chances are you are just going to add more weight on your phone by adding a case.

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's faux leather back cover is the best back in the industry IMO. It can be peeled off the phone when needed, never breaks or loses the grip tabs, has a great tactile feel that helps prevent the phone slipping from your grip, is a thermal and a mechanical shock barrier, doesn't show finger prints, doesn't scratch or mar easily. Heck I like it so much that I don't use cases on my phones and other devices using this great back material.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Samsung's faux leather back cover is the best back in the industry IMO. It can be peeled off the phone when needed, never breaks or loses the grip tabs, has a great tactile feel that helps prevent the phone slipping from your grip, is a thermal and a mechanical shock barrier, doesn't show finger prints, doesn't scratch or mar easily. Heck I like it so much that I don't use cases on my phones and other devices using this great back material.

Ditto!👍

"Size Does Matter!"

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm totally OK with the current GN3...chassis wise. It's lite, feels good in the hand, easy to grip. Yeah...so ur gonna put a case on it, right? At that point, to quote one of our looser liberals, what difference does it make? LOL!!!

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't see the obsession with metal phones. It scratches and dints easily adds bulk and is slippy to hold. Nearly as unpractical as glass back.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why so many people complain about plastic backs yet they all have a cover so it doesn't even matter what the back is

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why people assume that everyone uses covers.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why people don't get that I don't get that people use covers!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone give solid reasons why a Samsung S5 Prime needs to happen? It makes no sense from a manufacturer standpoint and it does nothing but cannabalize S5 sales and has nothing different about but a few minor things the general public won't notice. The S5 Prime and M8 Prime are dumbest rumors of 2014 by far IMO.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone give solid reasons why a Samsung S5 Prime needs to happen? It makes no sense from a manufacturer standpoint and it does nothing but cannabalize S5 sales and has nothing different about but a few minor things the general public won't notice. The S5 Prime and M8 Prime are dumbest rumors of 2014 by far IMO.

Nothing solid but I imagine it costs much the same to make and would actually increase overall sales. "My friend got an S5 on release day, but I just got an S5 Prime".
I don't think it can hurt them, and stores can always either charge more, or offer a no charge upgrade for a new purchase to look good.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nothing solid but I imagine it costs much the same to make and would actually increase overall sales. "My friend got an S5 on release day, but I just got an S5 Prime".
I don't think it can hurt them, and stores can always either charge more, or offer a no charge upgrade for a new purchase to look good.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

But it hurts Galaxy S5 sales. That's why it makes no sense. Economically it does not and logically it does not. There is no reason for it to exist. I can't think of a solid one.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
But it hurts Galaxy S5 sales. That's why it makes no sense. Economically it does not and logically it does not. There is no reason for it to exist. I can't think of a solid one.

Posted via Android Central App

Deleted. Too long!

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For the next Note? Hope so.. A metal back would be great.

If you just want a metal back, why not just buy an aftermarket one for the note 3? I have to warn you though, you will get worse signal.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why you would want a metal back.
It would transfer heat, it would dent and scratch easily,
metal doesn't really feel good,
shows smudges and fingerprints.
I just don't think that's a good thing. I like maybe a soft vinyl or rubberized back.
But who cares....you're going to cover it with a case!😂

"Size Does Matter!"

Transfer heat while it does get your hand hotter, is a good thing for performance as the back cover is used as a heat sink. Comparing the s5 to m8,in high load applications, the m8 provides better performance, though the s5 provides better battery life due to the cpu being limited at high load due to heat.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also to add that it would be difficult to maintain a waterproof design and removable battery with a metal phone. Metal phones typically require the antenna to be in the exterior, either in the side band like in the iPhone or on the top and bottom of the back like m8. It doesn't absolutely require it but signal would be significantly reduced if the antenna is not on the exterior.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why people assume that everyone uses covers.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Well, phones tend to be costly items so its inferred that folks will want to protect that costly item and keep it as close to as-new as possible with a case. ...me thinkz.

Hi5 to the sV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma