FIXED: Apps I disabled listed as needing updates in Play store - frustration

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

The thread title says it all really. I've disabled (having uninstalled updates first) a few apps in settings that are bloatware or that I don't want. However, whenever I go into Play store and look at the list of apps with updates pending, the diabled apps are all there too.

Is there any way of excluding these in the store? I suspect the only way to completely get rid is to root my phone. Something I don't currently want to do.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apps I disabled listed as needing updates in Play store - frustration

Hi all,

The thread title says it all really. I've disabled (having uninstalled updates first) a few apps in settings that are bloatware or that I don't want. However, whenever I go into Play store and look at the list of apps with updates pending, the diabled apps are all there too.

Is there any way of excluding these in the store? I suspect the only way to completely get rid is to root my phone. Something I don't currently want to do.

Cheers :)

Hello Jim, I'm not sure what the problem is, but from personal experience I can tell you that the exact problem happened to me once whit my GS4.
The problem was that I really didn't turn that app off. When you turned those apps off, did a message appear saying something about the app reverting to its original factory setting?
Did you agree to that?

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

did you uncheck the box that says "show notifications" when you disabled them?

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

Hello Jim, I'm not sure what the problem is, but from personal experience I can tell you that the exact problem happened to me once whit my GS4.
The problem was that I really didn't turn that app off. When you turned those apps off, did a message appear saying something about the app reverting to its original factory setting?
Did you agree to that?
Hi. I did agree to revert the apps and remove all updates before disabling them. The disable button is greyed out until this is done.

did you uncheck the box that says "show notifications" when you disabled them?
I certainly did, yes. :)

The problem isn't that I'm receiving notifications from these apps. It's that when I go into Play Store and MyApps, I can still see all the ones I've disabled listed as having updates to download. I'm having to pick through the list of junk to find the apps I really do want to update. I've already updated a couple by accident that I wanted to remain disabled. I wanted a way of removing them from being listed in the Play Store.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

oh i see....i just update all and call it good.....hate that they sit there and look at me.

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Like the OP, I've been trying to disable Fipboard from showing up on the PlayStore update page. I just discovered that an option pops up in PlayStore when I'm on the Flipboard update page when I press the menu button (lower left) on my GN3. It gives a tick box to turn off updates. I turned updates off. I'm hoping this solves the issue for me.

Posted via Android Central App

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Okay, well it didn't work for me. Flipboard still shows up in freakin' update list! I got Bloomberg to disappear though.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

There is NO WAY to stop the updates from showing up in the store. You can stop them from updating and you can stop them from notifying you, but you CANNOT stop them from showing up in the update list in Google Play. I would imagine that rooting would take care of that issue.

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

oh i see....i just update all and call it good.....hate that they sit there and look at me.
By updating them again, doesn't that remove the disable flag? When you select to disable an app, you have to remove the updates and regress back to the factory default version. So, by performing those updates again, won't the app be re-enabled?

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Today when Flipboard showed up in Playstore updates and I hit 'update all', I got a pop-up asking if I wanted to skip Flipboard. So I guess ticking the box did something.

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

Like the OP, I've been trying to disable Fipboard from showing up on the PlayStore update page. I just discovered that an option pops up in PlayStore when I'm on the Flipboard update page when I press the menu button (lower left) on my GN3. It gives a tick box to turn off updates. I turned updates off. I'm hoping this solves the issue for me.
I've tried this and can't find it. I go to the page in the Play Store showing my installed apps, click on Flipboard (or any other app with an update available) to take me to the page specific to that app and then press the menu button, nothing happens. There's no menu on this page. Am I missing something? I can't figure out where you found the tick box.

In fact, the lower left menu button on the N3 doesn't work at all in Play Store for me. It has no entries no matter which page I'm on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This is a strange issue, because a disabled app should not show up with an update notification in Google Play. On my Nexus 5, any disabled apps show up in Google Play with a "Disabled" label (without any notifications for updates), and the app page has an "Enable" button, but no "Update" button. I wonder if this is some Samsung-related glitch.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

This is a strange issue, because a disabled app should not show up with an update notification in Google Play. On my Nexus 5, any disabled apps show up in Google Play with a "Disabled" label (without any notifications for updates), and the app page has an "Enable" button, but no "Update" button. I wonder if this is some Samsung-related glitch.

I don't have this problem at all on my Note 3. I have a dozen or so apps I've turned off and they do not show updates in Play Store and I'm certain that most of them are not the current version that is on the play store. I have a TMO model - don't know if there is a problem with other models.

Everyone having the problem should make sure that auto update is turned off both in the play store and in the samsung app store.

The person who said they were having the problem with Flipboard is clearly rooted since that app can only be disabled if you root. That could be the reason they are having the problem since it is not supposed to be turned off. But they can remove the app completely then if they want. Although they should make sure to back it up because they may find it causes problems or need to restore it later. Or they can install a ROM that doesn't have it to begin with.

The OP, however, said he wasn't rooted. After making sure auto update is off in Play Store and Samsung App store, then I would re-enable the apps. Then Force Stop them, Clear cache, and Clear Data, and then turn them off again. Then reboot into recovery mode and clear the cache. If the problem still occurs then maybe there is a problem with other model's firmware.

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

The OP, however, said he wasn't rooted. After making sure auto update is off in Play Store and Samsung App store, then I would re-enable the apps. Then Force Stop them, Clear cache, and Clear Data, and then turn them off again. Then reboot into recovery mode and clear the cache. If the problem still occurs then maybe there is a problem with other model's firmware.
Interesting. I've just done this with two apps which were showing up and your advice above sorted the problem! Neither show up in the Play Store. I'll go ahead with the few others and hope I get the same result.

Many thanks :)

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

This is still helpful with Android Nougat. Just followed it and got rid of some constant and annoying Google Play Store update requests.

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie