Android Device Manager question.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I offered my unlocked Galaxy S2 temporarily to my clients visitor for his wife. They may or may not use it.
I factory reset it (or so I thought), and removed my sim and card.
I later realised I only cleared the cache partition in recovery.
Rather than embarass myself and ask to contact them, I was going to leave it as is, but luckily I found I could lock or erase it from my Note 3. I had the 2 devices in ADM.

I chose to lock it as it may not be used, and with ADM was able to leave a message with my number on the ADM lock screen, apparently.

It has been turned off since I handed it over, but ADM says it will activate as soon as it's on.

Can it now be reset in recovery by them with my instructions, so they can use it if they call me, or do I have to unlock it from my ADM account and then I can choose to remotely erase it?

I should have selected erase to begin with maybe, but I think it's safe, and it's likely it won't be used.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It can be factory reset by them from recovery. However, the lock will not take place until the phone is connected to the Internet and then given at least several seconds after that to be located by ADM.. So they will be able to initially access your data and accounts when they first turn it on. If you have anything on there like email or files that you do not want them to see, it would be better for you to contact your client proactively to get it back.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It can be factory reset by them from recovery. However, the lock will not take place until the phone is connected to the Internet and then given at least several seconds after that to be located by ADM.. So they will be able to initially access your data and accounts when they first turn it on. If you have anything on there like email or files that you do not want them to see, it would be better for you to contact your client proactively to get it back.

Thanks. Yes I forgot ADM did say it will activate as soon as there is an Internet connection, but I think it's ok. They will buy a prepay sim from a store or hotel and there will be a few seconds/minutes where they could in theory use my 3 email accounts before the lock comes in. I could reset my passwords now for my emails. My current inbox and contacts would still be visible but I could move emails I don't want seen, though there isn't any of concern. I write a lot of notes on Color Note and sync across, but I cant think of anything damaging. Bank apps still need log ins. They may have kids with them, but they won't try the phone until they have a sim, if at all. I think there's nothing that could be a worry for me. Just contacts, emails and notes. I use that phone less.
I think I am safe to risk those few minutes before ADM, though they can browse without a sim, and it does niggle a bit.

I may decide try to get their contact from an office, but I prefer to leave it as is. If it was accessible more than a few seconds or minutes I would make more effort.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
How the heck does it know my Note 3 is in my hand? LOL

a6yte7a6.jpg

qunazuby.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's always monitoring and recording the accelerometer and gyro. All I can think of.
Spoookaaay!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It knows what device you are making the request from probably based on some id of each device.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The ADM app screen says "Just now. In your hand".

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I
The ADM app screen says "Just now. In your hand".

Yes I know what it says because it knows that it is the device making the request.

ura3ynyz.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance