Do you switch wifi and data off at night?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't see a reason to do that,, my phone goes on the dock charging at night.. I don't get any alerts because I have blocking mode set not to receive any alerts of any kind between the hours of 9pm and 4:30 am

Note 3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Same here, just plug it in at night. I never understand why people want to leave it unplugged overnight?? What's the point?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Leave it on wifi or mobile data (if not at home).. And have it plugged in overnight.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
On here. I use an app to block all but family calls in case there's an emergency. Phone is on the charger when I sleep.

Notes from Deb's Note 3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Same here, just plug it in at night. I never understand why people want to leave it unplugged overnight?? What's the point?

Because leaving it plugged in wears down the battery faster. That's why you get a message every time the phone is fully charged to unplug it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because leaving it plugged in wears down the battery faster. That's why you get a message every time the phone is fully charged to unplug it.

As opposed to leaving the device turned off and unplugged yes. Otherwise, on most devices this is no longer the case. It is much better to allow a device to remain topped of than to say, allow excessive drain.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's the old way of thinking. With the batteries now a days it's actually better to keep the battery more topped off then to drain it low all the time.

Also when the phone hits 100% it doesn't keep charging the battery anymore. It stops so it doesn't overcharge and hurt the battery.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My note 3 has a 0% drop overnight with 4GLTE enabled

5y2azu6y.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
As opposed to leaving the device turned off and unplugged yes. Otherwise, on most devices this is no longer the case. It is much better to allow a device to remain topped of than to say, allow excessive drain.

No, as opposed to leaving the device on and unplugged. Those two choices you gave are not necessary - you don't have to choose between keeping always plugged in or allowing excessive drain. I never do either. Both are bad for the battery. Particularly overnight, which was the question I responded to, when the phone is not being used, there should not be any drain and you are definitely causing more wear on the battery by leaving it plugged in than by leaving it on and unplugged.

And to answer the original question of the thread, since I leave my phone unplugged overnight I shut off wifi when I go to bed because it causes unnecessary wakelocks and background updating and I leave my mobile data on. My battery only goes down 1-2% overnight.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
That's the old way of thinking. With the batteries now a days it's actually better to keep the battery more topped off then to drain it low all the time.

Also when the phone hits 100% it doesn't keep charging the battery anymore. It stops so it doesn't overcharge and hurt the battery.

No, that's not true. And the choice is not between leaving it plugged in at 100% after full charge and draining it low. You should not do either. Both wear the battery down prematurely. And this is still true of modern phone batteries.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, that's not true. And the choice is not between leaving it plugged in at 100% after full charge and draining it low. You should not do either. Both wear the battery down prematurely. And this is still true of modern phone batteries.

There is a circuit that prevents overcharging. Many devices, such as the Note will let it drain until 97-98% and then top it off. If it never gets that low, then it's not drawing a charge and no damage is being done. If it is below that threshold, it draws a charge up to 100% and then starts that process and no damage is being done. If it were continually ingesting power and having to disperse it then yes, that would create damage the same as if it were draining the entire time.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
There is a circuit that prevents overcharging. Many devices, such as the Note will let it drain until 97-98% and then top it off. If it never gets that low, then it's not drawing a charge and no damage is being done. If it is below that threshold, it draws a charge up to 100% and then starts that process and no damage is being done. If it were continually ingesting power and having to disperse it then yes, that would create damage the same as if it were draining the entire time.

What you described is exactly what causes the damage. Those repeated minor discharges and charges are what wear the battery down.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What you described is exactly what causes the damage. Those repeated minor discharges and charges are what wear the battery down.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but what you're saying is true in one specific circumstance, which is referred to as parasitic load. It is very harsh on batteries to be used while trying to remain topped off on a charger because that causes the rapid recycling of the tiny discharges. If your Note is losing 1-2% overnight then we're talking one or two at most trips from 97/98 to 100 and back over the course of many hours. In a parasitic load scenario, that can be happening as often as once every 2-3 minutes and is essentially the same as draining the battery from 100% to 0% inside of around 3 hours (very difficult to do under normal circumstances). The admonition against letting it drain too far is usually reserved for people that allow batteries to fall to 1% or even 15% before beginning to recharge, but the most ideal area to discharge to is around 50% and to try to couch it between the 40-80% rule. That being said, starting out at 100% and dropping to 40-50% is better than starting at 80% and dropping to 20-30%, and by a lot. Because life doesn't allow for micromanaging the draw while we're on the move, we generally recommend people start the day full and plug it back in around the 40% mark as needed until the day is done.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
...... and what I picked up from a helpful post by @clevin a while ago, which he/she may have picked up elsewhere,
is the battery charges easiest when it's at it coolest which is generally around 50% (although thinking about that - obviously the load on the battery at the time and ambient conditions play a major part)
...also it's the phone nowadays (Note 3 anyway) that determines the charge and strength, it's not a steady stream from the charger. At different points during the full charge cycle the rate from a 2.0/2.1 charger feeds close to the full 2A, errr I forget, either at the start where a low hot battery needs more of a push, but reduces to around 1.2A midway - or vice versa, and slows the charge down at around the 95% mark, and as @Darth Spock says moderates the charge to 100% and does further trickle top ups, though I didn't know it should only be a couple of times overnight if it's healthy.

Have you ever met anyone more willing to demonstrate their lack of a grasp of, and inability to explain, an issue as me? :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It's been proven and discussed many of times on the forum. That is how it works now a days... They realized the other way was a bad way for cell phone batteries.

Even my spare charger completely stops once it gets the spare to 100 %.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Well there's no need if it's anything over 20% to Me.

Dont people say it's bad for the battery to charge it when it's at a certain %?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I use an app called Smart Profiles. At 12.00 am, it turns WiFi / Mobile Network and AutoSync off, and then turns them all on again at 6 am. This is so I don't get woken up by messages and e-mails. I don't charge the phone overnight. I have docks in all my vehicles and the phone gets some type of a charge at some point, every few days. It never runs below 35% for the most part.

I could easily go 2 days between charges if the phone wasn't getting any type of charging. Topping off the battery with a full overnight charge each night would only serve to use up charge cycles, not that it's any issue, because I know I'll have a new phone before the battery starts to die, but it just isn't necessary for me to charge it daily. I never run out of battery and always have a fully charged spare in my wallet anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy