Contact management - could it be any dumber?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
When you create/ save a contact on the device, you have the choice as to which account to create / save it in, which is perfect.

When you open a vcard that someone has sent you, and you want to save it to say...your Gmail, or Exchange account, you save it and you have no choice as to where it saves to, which is the device; very useless.

Now here's the kicker: Now you want to move that contact to your Gmail or Exchange account, so this is what you have to do

1) In contacts, set your contact application (Samsung) to display ONLY the device contacts
2) Export the device contacts to USB or your SD card
3) Click "Import contact from SD card" and if you had only one device contact, it created a file with that contact's name.
4) Now, when you import, you must change the device to display the contact account you want to import to, then click "Import single contact" and guess what, you find that it has backed up ALL of your contacts from all of your accounts and it will now restore them all to the account you chose, but will duplicate every single contact, even though you specifically chose "Import single contact.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Either they have a patent issue they can't get around without paying for, or they have the dumbest coders/ developers in the world.

We should have the option to default the create/ save to a specific account, or a simple way to move one or more contacts to the account of the user's choice, and it's an easy fix to implement. I could even live with the device asking me where to save the vcard to each time I open one that someone has sent to me...wow...

Why isn't there even an app that can do this??

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem saving a vCard in any contact account i want either from Gmail or exchange. In either one click on the preview, then choose contacts, then choose which account you want to save it to. You can do it multiple times if you want to save it to more than one account.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have that option when opening a vcard. Example; today I got a vcard in whatspp, and when I click on it, it opens it and I have a "add to contacts" option at the bottom. I have no option as to where to save it to...

I just checked it again now...and that's what it is.

I don't think we're talking about the same exact thing either...

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember who your provider is. I know ATT messed with how contacts are saved. Maybe that's affecting you. How about if you just save the vCard to your phone. If I save it/download instead of directly opening with contacts I can also go to the file in My Files and then do the same as above opening it with contacts and choosing which account to import it to. You may just get the same result though if your provider changed the default behavior for saving contacts.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Provider is Koodo Mobile in Canada.

When receiving a Vcard via e-mail or SMS, I have the option as to where to save it to - but not by Whatsapp.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I just sent myself a v card and I can choose where I want to save it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm