What do you use your Note 3 for?

MissouriFarmer

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Not looking for any personal secrets here, but recently reading a 'factory reset' being casually suggested I shuttered at the mere thought of doing one.
I have a ton of data recorded on my Note 3. A journal of my farm activities, weather, events, etc stretching back several years. General Ledger of farm financial data stretching back.
Notes and written documents by the hundreds.
Photos, gosh, how many. Ebooks, dozens and dozens. Music etc.
All of the data is backed up sometimes double backed up.
Still, it was a tremendous nerve wracking job to switch from my
Old phone to the Note 3.
FACTORY RESET? no thanks.
Am I alone in using the Note 3 for so many things? Do you depend on your 'Phone' for so much?
WAIT A MINUTE! HAVE I REPLACED MY PC WITH MY PHONE?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Catman51

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
No, the Note is great for all of that. Do keep backups though just to be safe.

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy Note 3

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My note 3 is practically my pc but other then apps very little is actually stored on the phone. Music on google, files on google drive and Dropbox and notes on google keep and evernote. The only bad thing about a factory reset is waiting for the apps to download and then log into every app.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Phone calls
Email
Web browsing
MP3 Player/listening to audio books/podcasts
Shopping
Online banking
Organiser/Calender
Reading comics/books/news
Sat Nav/checking train times
Making notes
Calculator
Playing games
Taking pictures and editing them

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Now I have recently done a 1st reset I would find it easier to do another one. Google didn't download all my apps, about half so I did a lot manually so to speak.
Like @gavo360 above the biggest pain was logging in to each app, or finding you had not logged in to one a few weeks later when a parking app wants your log in and card details.
I gather I could have avoided that with either Titanium or Helium, but at least one of those require root.
I needed my Samsung or Dropbox account to get S-Notes and Scrapbook etc, I used Kies after a fashion but it missed some things.

Anyhoo I kinda preferred starting with a clean slate rather than restoring everything. I have yet to bother restoring my homescreens, widgets and folders after 3 weeks.
I had a card that developed a fault and my battery is also running better without it until/if I get a new one.

OP if you have backups and folders they should restore easily. I dragged most of mine from pc folders direct or you can use Kies.

The main aggravation was logging in to apps and restoring my screens, but I gather there are ways to make this easier. I am still happier to have started fresh, though I wasn't happy at all in the first few days.

Worth doing, really, but get some tips first.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Now I have recently done a 1st reset I would find it easier to do another one. Google didn't download all my apps, about half so I did a lot manually so to speak.
Like @gavo360 above the biggest pain was logging in to each app, or finding you had not logged in to one a few weeks later when a parking app wants your log in and card details.
I gather I could have avoided that with either Titanium or Helium, but at least one of those require root.
I needed my Samsung or Dropbox account to get S-Notes and Scrapbook etc, I used Kies after a fashion but it missed some things.

Anyhoo I kinda preferred starting with a clean slate rather than restoring everything. I have yet to bother restoring my homescreens, widgets and folders after 3 weeks.
I had a card that developed a fault and my battery is also running better without it until/if I get a new one.

OP if you have backups and folders they should restore easily. I dragged most of mine from pc folders direct or you can use Kies.

The main aggravation was logging in to apps and restoring my screens, but I gather there are ways to make this easier. I am still happier to have started fresh, though I wasn't happy at all in the first few days.

Worth doing, really, but get some tips first.

In fhe future you may wish to consider using a login management tool (I use Roboform which works on Android and Windows) to store all of your login information. Then allow it to backup the data to the cloud. After a factory reset or a new phone purchase simply download the login management app and sync to the cloud data and you are good to go.

Catman51

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I use lastpass, which is great and has an extension for Dolphin browser.

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
In fhe future you may wish to consider using a login management tool (I use Roboform which works on Android and Windows) to store all of your login information. Then allow it to backup the data to the cloud. After a factory reset or a new phone purchase simply download the login management app and sync to the cloud data and you are good to go.

Great. That sounds better for me.
Thank you.

(If only I had something I could use to make a note of that right now.... ah well!)
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Not looking for any personal secrets here, but recently reading a 'factory reset' being casually suggested I shuttered at the mere thought of doing one.
I have a ton of data recorded on my Note 3. A journal of my farm activities, weather, events, etc stretching back several years. General Ledger of farm financial data stretching back.
Notes and written documents by the hundreds.
Photos, gosh, how many. Ebooks, dozens and dozens. Music etc.
All of the data is backed up sometimes double backed up.
Still, it was a tremendous nerve wracking job to switch from my
Old phone to the Note 3.
FACTORY RESET? no thanks.
Am I alone in using the Note 3 for so many things? Do you depend on your 'Phone' for so much?
WAIT A MINUTE! HAVE I REPLACED MY PC WITH MY PHONE?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Yah, sometimes they trot that "factory reset" out there when they don't know what else to do. I have a fairly good idea when one might be necessary and will do it if it calls for it but that just isn't always the case. I use my Note for a lot of things as well so you can be absolutely certain that if I'm doing a factory reset, it's for a darn good reason. I'm also much more likely to accept AT&T support telling me than Samsung Technical support. Those guys are clueless most of the time. But generally I trust my own instincts on it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I use it for texting, calling, email, and social media (obviously) plus I love that I can write a note when I get an idea on the Papyrus app.

Adrianb72

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Emergency Cash Storage?
yeah, I keep $40 between my battery and wireless battery cover for emergencies or just in case I leave my wallet at home for some reason (which happens too often). Been like that for the past 7 months or so. Doesn't affect the temp or the wireless charging if you position the bill a certain way and tape it in place. I ALWAYS have my phone with me, so its backup...