GSAM Query

ChrisP1234

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I've been struggling with battery life for a while so I installed GSAM to try and assist. On attached pic is the circled bit the actual capacity of the battery? If so, I assume it should read 3200Ma after a full charge. Or is it me being dense?

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 2014-07-14-03-17-33.jpg
    2014-07-14-03-17-33.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 29

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
That's the charge rate, not the charge the battery holds. When plugged in you will see varying rates according to how you are charging. When unplugged, unfortunately, it stays at 450 instead of showing the discharge rate.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have asked that several times in different "my battery is dying" threads.
Is there a technical reason why no app gives the available capacity of a well used battery. Is 3200mah always available, but it doesn't discharge as effectively or something.
It would be easier if a new battery would show 3200, but 9 months later it has 2600 available. That would be easier to understand.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You would need to use external hardware to accurately measure the battery capacity.

You can use various calibration apps that can estimate through calculation what the battery capacity is but there is no way of knowing how accurate the result is unless you also use hardware testing.

Some phones can be more accurately estimated than others based on whether the manufacturer has allowed direct system reporting of the current. Two manufacturers that have historically not allowed this are Samsung and Motorola. Others may be on a case by case basis.

One app you can try (if you want) to estimate battery capacity is Battery Monitor Widget Pro by 3c. There are other apps as well. Make sure you follow their calibration instructions exactly. Read ahead of time, especially if it involves a purchase, to make sure you are willing to follow their instructions.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You would need to use external hardware to accurately measure the battery capacity.

You can use various calibration apps that can estimate through calculation what the battery capacity is but there is no way of knowing how accurate the result is unless you also use hardware testing.

Some phones can be more accurately estimated than others based on whether the manufacturer has allowed direct system reporting of the current. Two manufacturers that have historically not allowed this are Samsung and Motorola. Others may be on a case by case basis.

One app you can try (if you want) to estimate battery capacity is Battery Monitor Widget Pro by 3c. There are other apps as well. Make sure you follow their calibration instructions exactly. Read ahead of time, especially if it involves a purchase, to make sure you are willing to follow their instructions.

Very informative. Always impressive jpr.

I have accepted there is no rational consistency with battery drain, though I am never able to stick to a routine with one battery.
One or more spares is the way to go. I was thinking of portable power banks, but you are still charging the same battery and stressing the port.

That app may work, but I'm not too fussed to get paranoid now.
If I had just spent 700 - 800 on say a new Note 4, and hadn't got a penny/dime for an expensive OEM battery, I would study those apps in detail if the battery was poor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech