How do OTG cables differ from each other?

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I use OTGs to connect my external hard drives to my device I bought a cable from cable matters and it does not work. Only small pendrives work (4GB 16 GB, mice and keyboard) but hard drives does not. I bought ANOTHER OTG cable from a black market in Asia and my hard drive worked! I do not know how do otgs differ from each other.

Posted via Android Central App

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
the difference in connecting a small USB (4G) like the one you stated that works and an external hard drive, is the amount of power that is needed to use the external device.
The small devices will need up to 100mA i believe.
An External drive will need 400-600mA.
It seems that the cable itself is ok, since it works with the small devices.
Maybe the cable doesn't support the higher current, it might just be a really low quality cable.
You could try to contact Cable Matters and tell them that you think the cable isn't in the quality you were expecting and ask for a refund.

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
the difference in connecting a small USB (4G) like the one you stated that works and an external hard drive, is the amount of power that is needed to use the external device.
The small devices will need up to 100mA i believe.
An External drive will need 400-600mA.
It seems that the cable itself is ok, since it works with the small devices.
Maybe the cable doesn't support the higher current, it might just be a really low quality cable.
You could try to contact Cable Matters and tell them that you think the cable isn't in the quality you were expecting and ask for a refund.

Thanks. You really explained what I asked really well. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar experience. One cheap otg cable from ebay worked only with thumb drives that had otg compatible written on the package. I bought another one from Staples, paid twice as much, but it works with all my drives.

jirages

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
not at all, sorry
On The Go cables OTG have nothing to do with normal cable you receive with your samsung Note 3.
you could read a thumbdrive only through an otg cable.

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I never considered using an external hard drive with my otg cable. Will give it a try this evening. Thanks muchly :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol