Random shutdown (not reboot)

chronophile

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my seventh month on my Note 3. Just tonight, I was stunned that, while typing in Whatsapp, the screen suddenly splits in half vertically, the upper half, the whatsapp screen, the lower half, what appears to be part of the settings screen, and then totally hangs, and then shuts down. It does not reboot. First time for this to happen in 7 months of problem free computing.

So I pushbutton power button. The Samsung logo, the glowing logo sequence, appears but nothing happens. I wait for about ten minutes before deciding to take out the battery and replace it after around ten seconds. The phone then starts normally.

I'm stunned to experience this because last year, my Note 2 suddenly experienced the random reboot problem on its third month. I tried all countermeasures based on feedback in the forums, but could not fix the problem so I sold the Note 2 and moved on to the S4 when it came out. I had no problems with S4 and moved on to my current Note 3 just this past January.

Has anyone else experienced this random shutdown (no reboot) on the Note 3? My phone is not rooted. I'm still on 4.3 because I don't like the battery status icon in the latest update losing its green color (call me facile). I have an extra battery bundle, so I normally just change batteries every 1.5 days and never charge the handset itself. I just recharge the spare on the desktop charger.

I'm hoping this is a just fluke and will not happen again. Keeping my fingers crossed, as I'm hoping to keep this phone for at least two years. It's is truly peerless.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have not experienced random shut down on my note 3. I would suggest doing a factory data reset and not installing any apps to see if it still happens. Then slowly add apps.

Fwiw, had a random shut down problem on my moto g and HTC Thunderbolt, but so far, it hasn't happened on any of my Samsung (s3,n2,n3)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

chronophile

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Hasn't happened again yet. I'm hoping it was a fluke. Funny thing is I haven't installed any new apps in the last month of changed any settings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Hasn't happened again yet. I'm hoping it was a fluke. Funny thing is I haven't installed any new apps in the last month of changed any settings.
If it doesn't happen again then I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It's always better to wipe the cache first before you are forced to do a hardest. Wiping the cache doesn't erase anything important, and in many cases, can fix the problem.

@T-Mobile GN3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's always better to wipe the cache first before you are forced to do a hardest. Wiping the cache doesn't erase anything important, and in many cases, can fix the problem.

@T-Mobile GN3

Yeah, it won't hurt and is a good first step

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois