SD card/Videos/Samsung Video - help needed

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently upgraded from a 32GB sd card to a 64GB. When I had my 32GB card and I accessed my Samsung video app it would show me all the videos I had on my phone (both on the phones memory and on the sd card) as well as the folder location where the movie/clip was located.

Since my upgrade all the Samsung video app will show me is what is on my phones memory and not what is on my SD card. I've double checked that the videos were on the card (my husband "helped" and forgot to add them the first time around, haha) which they are but the Samsung video app doesn't see them for some reason.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get them to show? If not, does anyone know of a video app which will show the thumbnails and video location like the screenshot I've included?

If it matters the new SD card is a Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO Micro SDXC Class 10 Memory Card

Any help would really be appreciated!

Cheers :)

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 2014-10-01-02-31-26.jpg
    2014-10-01-02-31-26.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 20

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It may just not have had time to scan for media yet. If you haven't rebooted yet, do that first. Then try going to your SD card in a file manager and playing one of your videos from there in the video app. See if that initiates media scanning of the SD card.

I always recommend MX Player, if you want to try something else. It will play file types that the stock player won't and has more options. As far as your current problem goes, you can specify folders (including on the SD card) that you want it to scan and can manually refresh it if you just added something new. I have mine grouped by folders as the default view and if you open a specific folder, it shows thumbnails of the videos. It doesn't show the path unless you look at properties, but that is why I have it set to group by folders because I know where the folder is located.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
It may just not have had time to scan for media yet. If you haven't rebooted yet, do that first. Then try going to your SD card in a file manager and playing one of your videos from there in the video app. See if that initiates media scanning of the SD card.

I always recommend MX Player, if you want to try something else. It will play file types that the stock player won't and has more options. As far as your current problem goes, you can specify folders (including on the SD card) that you want it to scan and can manually refresh it if you just added something new. I have mine grouped by folders as the default view and if you open a specific folder, it shows thumbnails of the videos. It doesn't show the path unless you look at properties, but that is why I have it set to group by folders because I know where the folder is located.

I have rebooted and tried to specify the folders for it to scan for media - but no luck on either.

The weird thing is that when I click on one of them to play - to select the Samsung video app to play it, as you suggested - the video app doesn't show on the list of choices. So I don't know what the issue is ...they're all mp4 files not some weird incompatible file type.

BUT if I pick a movie on my internal memory it will give me the Samsung player as an option to play the movie ...even if it's the exact same movie/show that's also on my SD card (i was curious so i copied over 1 movie so it was on the internal and external memory).

This is all too confusing for me! I'm starting to wish that I'd just kept my 32GB sd card!

Thanks for the suggestions/help :)

Sarks.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently upgraded from a 32GB sd card to a 64GB. When I had my 32GB card and I accessed my Samsung video app it would show me all the videos I had on my phone (both on the phones memory and on the sd card) as well as the folder location where the movie/clip was located.

Since my upgrade all the Samsung video app will show me is what is on my phones memory and not what is on my SD card. I've double checked that the videos were on the card (my husband "helped" and forgot to add them the first time around, haha) which they are but the Samsung video app doesn't see them for some reason.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get them to show? If not, does anyone know of a video app which will show the thumbnails and video location like the screenshot I've included?

If it matters the new SD card is a Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO Micro SDXC Class 10 Memory Card

Any help would really be appreciated!

Cheers :)

Sarks.

I thought I would reply and tell my (sort of) solution to my problem - in case anyone else has a similar issue. If I searched for my media that wasn't in any of my screenshot shown above I could find and play it but it wouldn't show in the Samsung media player - which is what I wanted. (They wouldn't show in any media player automatically but if I searched for them I could find and play them).

The one solution I have found (thanks to my husband) was to create a folder in one of the folder roots (routes?) shown above - he used /extSdCard/Movies ...he tried one film to see if it would show and it did :) so we saved all my stuff into the movie folder he created and I see all my stuff in the Samsung video app now.

Thanks jpr for helping me troubleshoot the problem :)

Sarks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781