Why am I unable to play videos or view pictures?

Clo03

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
cannot play video or view pictures

Some of my videos that I have recorded can no longer be viewed. A window pops up saying "sorry this video cannot be played". I used to be able to view them. The cover picture in the gallery doesn't even appear ...only an electric bolt symbol appears! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: cannot play video or view pictures

Welcome to Android Central! Are those photos and videos stored on an external microSD card, or the Internal Storage? Files on the external SD card can get corrupted.

Dan Prunier

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I don't think this is a matter of corrupt videos. I think this is due to either a recent hot fix or as far back as the 4.2 update when we lost App - SD card functionality. I've had my phone and SD for a year now and have put a video of my piano practice on my SD card every week. Nothing on my end has changed one bit. Same editing process, same length, same codec and allow my phone to edit the video when I transfer it over. This no longer works, even if I don't allow the copy process to edit. I tried formatting and re-docking my SD and it still doesn't work. I then tried my newer SD card from my Tablet. Card works fine but same error when trying to play my videos. The videos play fine if I copy them to phone memory but not SD card. It's ridiculous and everything I see from my testing points to the 4.2 update.

Dan Prunier

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I forgot to add that I copied the videos from my SD card to internal memory and they worked, so it quite obviously shoots down the possibility of corruption.

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I presume you're referring the video taken using your phone camera? How about the storage location (internal or extrenal)? What type of "some" videos & is it certain condition only when you can't view them?

Posted via Tab S 8.4

Dan Prunier

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Deleted my comment. I was out of line. Don't post after drinking is my new lesson learned.

Last edited:

Clo03

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Y K Chin... yes ...the videos and pictures were taken with the phone camera ... It started with the most recent videos but now more and more of my older pictures and videos are failing. I removed my micro sd card and tried pulling up the pictures on my pc computer and many of them I could not view. Does this sound like a corrupt sd card?

Geir Friis

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Had set the phone camera save photos and videos to the SD card. Neither is view able although older photos still show. What to do? The card is Sandisk Ultra 64GB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21